UK Monster Owners Club Forum .: Technical :. Electrics » LED Indicator Bulbs - Straight Swap ?

Old 05-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Jam911

Bike: M900
LED Indicator Bulbs - Straight Swap ?

I was toying with the idea of swapping my indicator bulbs for some brighter LED ones.

Has anyone done this and would it mean a straight replacement of the standard bulbs for LED versions?

Bike is 98 M900

Thank you
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not quite a straight swap, would need to also change the flasher relay for an LED compatible unit or put resisters before the bulbs........Don't buy the cheap ebay LED Relay!!!!

https://www.busters-accessories.co.u...lasher/in/all/

"Moderation is a fatal thing...Nothing succeeds like excess"
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
What Kato said. Note that the relays come in both 2 and 3-pin versions and I think your Monster uses a 3-pin one. Just check before ordering.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Jam911

Thanks guys.
So is it worth the effort?

Also where is my flasher relay located?

What bulbs do people use?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
The LED bulbs should be brighter and, if they're decent quality, should practically last for ever.

As to whether it's worth the effort, well, only you can decide that. If you have problems with frequently blowing bulb, (due to vibration rather than dodgy wiring), then it makes sense. Otherwise it's just down to whether you prefer the look.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Jam911

Thank you sir
Old 06-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
hh93

Bike: M620ie
I did the change over to LED Bulbs a few years ago.

I went the Resistors route as the relay is part of the clocks on mine. Be aware that the bulbs/loom connectors need to be the correct polarity or they won't work. Luckily it was bullet connectors so easily swapped over, but I was nearly drop-kicking the bulbs into next door's garden at one point !!!

I bought all my bulbs and resisters from https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/
hh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
In my experience changing to leds for the indicators can be a bit of a minefield, for the following reasons.

1) The original incandescent bulbs work by shining their light multidirectionally from a point source, which is then picked up by the silvered reflector and projected forward in a broad beam which covers the full area of the orange lens.
Depending on the design, some led bulbs only shine their light forwards, thus cutting out the function of the reflector and leaving you with just a small circular area of light in the centre of the orange lens ... probably less bright than the original bulbs.
2) Other led bulbs avoid this by utilising both forward and sideways facing leds but these may be too tall to fit under the lens.
3) As already mentioned, you need to either fit resistors in the wiring or change to an led compatible flasher relay. I went the latter route as it seemed like the simplest method.
If your model is the same as my yr2000 750, under the seat you will find a rubber holder which mounts three relays. one of these is yellow and is a "general" relay, the other two are black, the smaller one being for the sidestand switch and the larger, square one being the flasher relay. I simply changed this for one (bought on ebay) which allowed for the flash rate to be adjusted. You can get them in the same size casing as the original and therefore its an easy swap. Mine was a three pole unit.
Watch out for the rubber holder though because they tend to perish and crack ... I'm on my second one and that has cracked so I resorted to patching it up with a cable tie.
3) Again as already mentioned, leds may have polarity issues.
4) You will probably find that your warning light is less bright than it used to be after fitting the leds. This is down to earthing issues which I discovered with the help of this forum and are detailed in this thread ...
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...+warning+light
You can either live with that or fix it cheaply using the diodes as described in the thread.

I think that just about covers everything.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #9
Jam911

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer.

After reading that I will leave the indicators as they are.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I thought you might say that.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If you want a more modern look without changing to LED and all the hassle, you could always fit clear lenses with orange bulbs.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #12
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Hmm. My S4 already had LED indicators when I bought it, cheezy carbon-look tat. First reaction was "they're coming off" - until I saw them light up. They were bright. So I left them alone.

FF a year; one had water ingress or something and went funky. Another, the head was rattling around on the mounting post. Bought these instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174812504...0AAOSwIFpg0vg~

7 quid for a set of 4; LOL. I bought 2 sets.

Rubber-encased - the picture of them bending like a pretzel sold them to me, as I've broken a bunch of factory indicators (and a couple of tea-trays) getting through tight spots, like the gate into the back garden.

Bullets are too small/next size down; open them up with a screwdriver until they "snap" into the factory female bullets if you don't have replacement terminals handy. The threaded post is a tad long; the wire is a little more intimate that I'd prefer between the frame rail with the tea-tray. I'm going to trim 5-10mm off my other set, but unmodified works fine for now.

When unlit, they're really unobtrusive. When powered, the LEDs illuminate in series and "flow" outwards - very eye-catching. When all illuminated, they pulse (get brighter still) briefly, until the flasher relay starts a new cycle. They're pretty bright - if you "aim" them up slightly (eg to get eyeline of a van or SUV driver), you can readily see the edge of the lens illuminating from the seat - which is handy, because the warning light takes a couple of cycles to get with the program. Doesn't seem like a big deal if you can see the flashers themselves..

They have a load resistor built-in (along with the IC that does the "flow" effect), so no need to swap the relay for an LED one. I'd actually prefer they didn't have a load resistor - but for the money (2 complete sets for less than a single pattern indicator stalk/lens), it's hard to argue...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote