UK Monster Owners Club Forum Ľ .: Technical :. Ľ Electrics » 796 Corse starting difficulty

Old 09-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Motorcycle Mick

Bike: M796
796 Corse starting difficulty

Hi
I have had my 2011 796 for 15 months and I am enjoying the experience,but I have experienced occasional reluctance to start,with the starter sounding asthmatic,sometimes turning ignition off and on will resuscitate ,this has often been after a lengthy ride (50+ miles) I keep the bike coupled to an Optimate while it is garaged , yesterday however it progressed,I had been for a 100 mile trip in the morning,with no problems,I went to work,left the bike parked for just over 2 hours when I turned the key the dash went through the normal sequence but the starter just engaged but would not turn the engine over , I had the bike recovered and plugged in the Optimate overnight , this morning I disconnected the Optimate and checked the voltage at the charge socket,12.9 volts,tried the starter and it turned over very smartly,I left the charger off went shopping,on my return I rechecked - voltage still 12.9 starter turned over smartly again,does this sound familiar to anyone,any idea what I could check.?
Motorcycle Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It could be one or both of two things.

First, the battery could be 10 years old and past its best? But I suspect not if it charges to nearly 13Volts and spins the motor over okay.
However you can put a meter on it when you crank it over and see what the voltage goes down to when the starter is engaged. It might dip to 11 volts and then recover quickly to nearer 13 or more.
If the battery voltage drops a lot and does not recover to very near the original voltage after starting and then stopping. it could well be that it has lost it's lost it's "cranking amps" and needs replacing.

The second thing will be the charging system. (More likely from what you've said.) To test if it is charging, keep the meter plugged in, (To your optimate lead if you can't access the battery with it running.) with the engine now running. it should show the charging current, which should be in excess of 13 volts, preferably 14-14.5 volts, but anything over 15 volts is bad news.
This may rise a little when revs increase, but still not over 15V.

If you are not getting a charging current when running, then there will be a problem with the Rectifier, the alternator and/or the cabling and connections between them.

Narrow it down to the battery or the charging and report back..
Old 09-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
+1 what mr gazza said.

Also i had reluctant start issues with my 1100 evo. Not battery or charging system related.

With help from here the general consensus was that the starter motor is a bit weak for the engine. And every help it can get is best. I literally sprayed (continue to spray 1 to 2 times per year) acf50 directly on to the starter motor terminal under the rubber boot.

All my issues have been solved and it starts no problems.

Note: do not be tempted to take that nut off on the starter cable that will lead to starter motor catastrophic failure.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mick

Thanks for the pointers , Iíll try them tomorrow and report results
Old 09-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
+1 charging issue. Isn't there a volt meter function on the dash on those models?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
Motorcycle Mick

I put the bike on my Optimate 4 charger overnight this morning voltage was 13.2 ,started the engine voltage was 14.6 at tickover,left for 15 minutes,12.9 v down to 12.2 with ignition on,dropped to 10.9 while cranking returned to 14.6 at tickover
I wonder if I should replace the battery as I donít know itís history although I am reluctant to waste money and the aggravation of changing it
Any other checks?
Old 10-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
Motorcycle Mick

Dash is minimal just a charge light
Old 10-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I'd check the battery again in a day or 2 without being on charge. Otherwise it would seem to be ok.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
On face value those figures don't show anything of particular concern.
Your charging system seems to be in good health, unless the voltage rises above 15V when you increase the revs.

The battery will show a high voltage straight off charge and will loose the top off that fairly quickly anyway, so I would say 12.9-12.2V would not be a big worry, but try leaving it overnight without charging and test in the morning to see if it's held up.

Either the battery won't hold a charge any longer, or you have something draining it somewhere? I don't know if it's normal for the voltage to drop by 0.7 of a Volt with just the ignition on? But it doesn't sound unreasonable.

If the battery does loose it's charge overnight in the bike, then I guess the test for a current drain would be to see if it still drops disconnected. If it does then it's definitely the battery. If not then you will have some fun finding what's draining it!

For what it's worth I think (personally) that those optimate thingies kill batteries, I've never used one myself but rather fitted a Motobatt. It's been on there 9 years now with no attention whatsoever.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mick View Post
Dash is minimal just a charge light
To access the voltmeter just push the mode switch forward:

Your battery figures sound similar to my 1100 Evo, which is a healthy Motobatt. It may be, as Ron alluded to, some corrosion on the starter cable connectors (usually at the starter motor end as that's the one that's exposed to the elements). The cable is marginal at the best of times and any corrosion increases the resistance and can just tip the starter circuit over the edge. Have a look under the rubber boot to see if there's any obvious signs of corrosion.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #11
Motorcycle Mick

As the man says ďread the f.......g bookĒ!
Reads 12.2 on batt volts
Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #12
Motorcycle Mick

In my defence when it failed to start the dash display was flashing and I didnít realise that I could interrogated it for information
Old 10-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #13
slob

new plugs and a TPS reset
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #14
Motorcycle Mick

Question

Sorry to be thick,but TPS ??