UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Bigpantha Grip Lock.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Bigpantha Grip Lock.

Hi guys,

I was googling around the other week for best disc locks, bike security etc and a couple of sites mentioned in their lists Bigpanthas grip lock as an alternative to compliment your disc lock for additional security.

I looked on Amazon (UK) just to see what going rates were and they came in at £76-£100. When I went to their official site and followed the link to Amazoon (US) they sell for $29.75 with $12.89 shipping. So a slight difference totalling £33.41 including shipping and duty!!

It's turned up today, so it took two weeks to arrive, but with a £60 saving over UK prices I was happy to wait!!

Not tested it myself yet but it gets 4.3 out of 5 on customer reviews on Amazon (143 of them).

So if anyone is thinking of getting one (or something similar) then definitely got through their site/Amazon (US)!!

http://www.bigpantha.com/motorcycle-lock/
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Result! Its your round!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Flip

In the old days of bike security it was all about visible deterrent to put the thieving scum off your bike and moving onto easier pickings.

But these days with the feckers having portable angle grinders that seemingly go through even the most expensive locks and chains in a matter of minuets if not seconds it is more about making it difficult for them.

Like tucking the disc lock on the near side front disc tucked right up by the caliper while having another on the rear disc and or a big chain off the ground locked to an immovable object before putting a cover over the bike to help stop unwanted eyes seeing it parked up.

So I can help thinking as convenient the brake lever lock is, the lever itself is the (very) weak point being made of alloy and even a hack saw or heavy duty cutters would see to it being overcome.

Would be a good set up though while you and mates waited to 'have a chat with' any would be 'new owners'.

They're sickening and scary to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw74y5xCd1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lLuBKOLS8
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Always thought these were a gimmick at best, bolt croppers through the lever would take all of about 3 seconds.

Money is better spent on a decent disc lock
Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
Macflurry

Last month I also bought an Abust Detecto 7000. Again, joys of Amazon, the red ones were only £80 while the other colours were up to £130!! lol

Some of the other colours are on there now at lower prices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Detecto-700...MGPQF1JVW&th=1
Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Always thought these were a gimmick at best, bolt croppers through the lever would take all of about 3 seconds.

Money is better spent on a decent disc lock
Or unbolt the lever pivot or even crack the brake line/bleed nipples.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
About time

I see all new Hondas are now being fitted with Datatool trackers "...at no extra cost".

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/c...data-tool.html

On the plus side, if a tracker equipped bike is stolen, there's a good chance of it being recovered AND it can lead to the thieves being caught too.

On the downside, there's still a £120 annual subscription so you'd hope, (probably vainly), that the insurance companies would offer a suitable discount in response. It would have been nice if Honda had included the first year's subscription in the deal.

Also, we all know how insurance companies try to use technicalities to avoid paying a claim so, if you couldn't afford or didn't want to pay the subscription, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to reduce or refuse a claim on the grounds of "contributory negligence".

All things considered though, I think it's a step in the right direction. At least one of the major manufacturers is now acknowledging the problem of bike theft.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Could use these handy little devices.

https://secure.thetrackr.com/
Old 10-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
jerry
Old Git

Add movement detector ....plastic explosive ......boom !!! only kidding ,, dont want the bike wrecked ,, only the thieves

I have various locks and a Datatool alarm on the M750 still dont like leaving it out of my sight
Old 10-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #10
Macflurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Add movement detector ....plastic explosive ......boom !!! only kidding ,, dont want the bike wrecked ,, only the thieves

I have various locks and a Datatool alarm on the M750 still dont like leaving it out of my sight
Could probably knock up a bike mount for one of these...

Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
BobT

Don't bother much with security on our bikes, but we don't live in the UK anymore. My garage is unlocked with two new Ducatis, with the keys in them, just sitting there. We park in town and leave keys in the bikes and helmets on the mirrors.