UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 796 to 821

Old 01-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
jwb

796 to 821

Hi all,happy new year.
Has any body out there swapped from a 796 to a 821 and what do you think ,comfort wise of 821.Had a great day out riding in Ludlow area,smashing roads.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
EvoAde

Hi and Happy New Year.
I had a test ride on an 821 before buying an 1100evo. The main reason for buying the 1100 was the look and £2K accessories fitted. In terms of comfort, I didn't find that much difference. Ok, the seat on the 821is slightly better but for 50 quid you can have a 796 seat re-shaped (which is what I've done). It's no big deal to change the bars for slightly higher Renthals or Rizoma to get the same slightly greater rise of the 821.
The watercooled engine is slightly smoother but hasn't got as much character as the air-cooled versions. A few thousand miles on the engine helps them smooth out too.

Only one way to find out; try both!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Happy new year to you too.
While the 821 is more powerful, it makes its usable power a bit further up the rev range than the 796, which may or may not suit your riding style. It's the old aircooled 2v vs. water cooled 4v thing. Your best bet is to book a test ride at a dealer so you can make your own mind up.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
holty

Bike: M1100
For what it is worth l don't like the plumbing although the 821 looks all the better for not having the oil cooler and as for the riding position, the heals of my boots (size uk 9 feet) hit the rear pegs, and I could not get comfortable. On paper the 821 is a better bike, but not for me this time around. In My opinion Ducati have not done the best of jobs with the new Monsters (shame) the 1200s goes some way? Other manufactures have done a very good job at hiding the radiator and Cat?
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
The power increase from the 796 to an 821 is huge and wonderfully fun.
The bike is physically bigger but very comfy.
Test one and try it out. Revs from 8,000 amazingly and be careful on roll-off, it doesn't have big engine braking.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote