UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Strange engine noise

Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
unclerob

Strange engine noise

Hi, recently joined the forum because I bought an S4 Monster, 8,000 miles and full ducati dealer service at 7,400 but then left unused for a year and not going when I bought it...
Got it all running and Mot'd after a few days fiddling....mainly electrical but it has an engine noise I've never heard before (have had a 916 for several years), its a screeching noise....like a car alternator belt slipping....comes in at 3,200 rpm in gear every time....right side of engine, I haven't dared to rev much higher to see if it goes away!!
Have looked at belts, tensioners etc and can't see anything wrong.....
Any suggestions much appreciated!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Could be the dry clutch slipping - maybe worthwhile taking off the cover and investigating?
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Try looking at the bearing in the clutch pressure plate.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and welcome.

Don't know much about the water cooled ones myself, but I would suspect the water pump.

In my limited experience of water cooled bike engines I have seen them suffer from terrible neglect...Good idea to drain and refresh anyway....Use an OATS coolant.

Other possibilty would be cam belt pullies, easy enough to remove the covers and have a listen with them off.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
unclerob

Thanks for the suggestions....my first thought was the tensioner bearings, I've had the covers off and all looks good, also revved it on its stand past where the noise comes in whilst in gear and no noise at all....well not the screeching one anyway!!
Had also taken clutch apart when I first got the bike (before I knew about the noise) and it seemed fine....though now thinking about it I suppose it could be starting to slip but not feeling it because I don't dare rev it more...
So have just stripped it again and noticed the final 2 plates are both plain??....I'm at work now and manual is at home....is that right? Thinking it might have started to slip and someone added an extra plate instead of replacing?
Hadn't considered the pump though did replace coolant when I got it....
Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
There is a dished plate that has to be in the stack.
Can't remember which way or position will be in book of words.

I think the stack height is 43mm +/-
Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters

Min. drive plate thickness 2.8mm
Max. play between drive plate tabs and basket: 0.6mm
Min. spring free length 36.5mm
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo22 View Post
There is a dished plate that has to be in the stack.
Can't remember which way or position will be in book of words.

I think the stack height is 43mm +/-
I've tried clutches both with and without dished plates and not noticed any difference in the way they work.

I now deliberately avoid using one, unless it's the only plate I've got of the right thickness (dished plates are only 1.5mm thick and most the others are 2mm) as I can't see the point as a flat plate must grip better and cause less wear than one that only touches the friction plate on a small area.

38mm +/- 2mm, is the spec but if you're using a "30% less effort" slave cylinder then go for being under 38mm as this means finding neutral is easier. I aim for 37.5 - 38mm when new and then find that neutral gets easier to select as the plates wear a little.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Hi matey, I am in Rochester way but do yourself a favour and pop it down the road to strood to alec at ducati pro team. He will give you free advice and will not rip you off. He is behind the halfords in the railway arches.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Akita Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
do yourself a favour and pop it down the road to strood to alec at ducati pro team. He will give you free advice and will not rip you off. He is behind the halfords in the railway arches.
+1 for this advice, (Alec's currently got my S2R giving it a quick once over before the Belgium trip!)
Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
unclerob

Many thanks for all the advice....I hadn't planned on doing anything with it today but slow at work so had a look, no manual with me but pic was very helpful thanks!
All looked ok but cleaned all the plates with brake cleaner etc and put it all back....couldn't really decide if the 4th last plate was dished or not, certainly not obvious if it was but it did have dabs of white paint on it...stack thickness was 38.9mm...all went back the same.
Took it out for a run....no noise at all for about 5 miles then it came back but quieter and not starting now til just 5,000 revs...before it came in straight away and lower revs so a big improvement.
Not sure yet whether I'm going to buy it a set of plates and a bearing or take it down to pro team but fairly sure it is the clutch so not so much of a worry....thanks!!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Even my M1100s gets a screech on occasionly and so did the s4 before but under load. Do still do yourself a favour and pop down to see Alec just to see where he is for any serviceing or repairs beyond your capabilities. He doesn't bite and is a very nice bloke who takes care of Ducatis and he does most of us Kentie bikes and he vast past customers all around south east England because of his reputation. He is Unit18 on the forum if you need to message him.
The bearings do get some abuse on the plate . Is your clutch cover open or closed cover.

Last edited by Albie; 02-09-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
unclerob

I've heard they're very good but generally do everything myself.... do they do parts as well or just servicing/repairs?
I've got a set of new plates and a bearing coming so hoping that will sort it properly though after yesterdays try its really just about ok....before that it sounded really bad....thinking it was the result of standing such a long time before I got my hands on it....
Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Friction plates may have just glazed, but if its done 8000miles on the original clutch its probably due new plates by now and maybe basket as well.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerob View Post
I've heard they're very good but generally do everything myself.... do they do parts as well or just servicing/repairs?
I've got a set of new plates and a bearing coming so hoping that will sort it properly though after yesterdays try its really just about ok....before that it sounded really bad....thinking it was the result of standing such a long time before I got my hands on it....
No he is a one man band and gets parts in from a I believe a known trusted dealer. Service repair