UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » MCE versus DucatiInsurance

Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
don_matese

MCE versus DucatiInsurance

MCE and Ducati come in at around the same £300-£330 a year for comprehensive cover, however MCE offer breakdown cover as part of that whilst ducati dont (I think), MCE's excess is considerably higher though...

I'm struggling - but tending to MCE as my bike has broken down on me before and the ability to get a lift home seems appealing...

Any horror stories from either insurer which should sway me?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
On the other Ducati forum there are quite a few complaints about trying to get through to MCE on the phone - either you're on hold forever, or they don't call back when they said they would, and you cannot get to speak to the same person twice. http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f11/m-c-e-insurance-1621/
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
d8mok

Bike: M1100s
Id go with ducati insurance mate. Much easier to deal with. I'm hoping they can quote me a more reasonable amount this year.

They was my first choice when insuring my two bikes last year but wanted £1300 + as MCE wanted £500.
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
A couple of years ago I tried Ducati insurance, they seemed shocked that my bike (916) had been modified and quoted me a very high price with no breakdown cover. In the end the advisor recommended another ins. co. as he knew they would be offering me a better deal...

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
don_matese

I'm starting to lean towards them, they are a little more expensive and dont include breakdown cover but RAC will cover me for 6.99 a month anyway so its hardly a big investment
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
buzzbomb
Gold Member

#1 for ducati insurance, I've been with them for quite afew years, they may not be the cheapest but I have full confidence in them as Mr. Wild rides and owns ducati's so he knows the score on mods.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Ducati insurance wouldn't insure me.

First big boys bike, parked on a drive way, 3 points on my license.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Pomp1

never had a problem with Ducati Insurance, and I'm surprised to hear about them being funny about mods, they were OK with my list and didn't add anything to the premium..
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Kameloil

I just paid £130 for fully comp with Ducati including motor and legal cover. The bike is a year old and so is my licence. I have 3 points and dont need breakdown until its two years old.

Its garaged and well protected, I'm 40 and I'm in Aberdeen and only get 2-3000 on it a year...I guess that must make a difference?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
neilo

Got an online quote from Ducati Insurance yesterday, and it came with 3 options...basically three different underwriters...everything else was the same.

KGM - £160

Highway - £240

Equity red star - £260

Anybody got any thoughts on why I may want to choose to pay a more expensive premium? The vast majority of quotes I've been getting are in the region of £200-240.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
slob

I've been using Ducati Insurance as a broker for years, very happy with both the service and the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo
Anybody got any thoughts on why I may want to choose to pay a more expensive premium? The vast majority of quotes I've been getting are in the region of £200-240.
the small print?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
neilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I've been using Ducati Insurance as a broker for years, very happy with both the service and the prices.

the small print?
Fair enough, but it is a nuisance that you can't see it when you want to buy online. I guess I'll call them later.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Equity red star is easy to deal with and accepts mods. That is tested, can not comment on others.

However MCE v Ducati well ducati offer accident recovery which is an extra with most breakdown covers.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
neilo

Another thumbs up for Ducati Insurance (AKA Ramasis)! Phoned them twice (once to go through my details and get a quote, and once to make a minor correction) and the phone was answered within 3-4 rings. Not the cheapest quote I received, but certainly competitive enough to warrant giving them my business, and the compulsory excess was half the price (£400) with no voluntary excess at all.

Both guys I spoke to knew what they were talking about as well, which filled me with confidence that all the vital things were being covered. All printable documents sent to me during the call.

£190 / fully comp / 4yrs NCD with protection / 36yrs old / kept in locked garage
Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Neil I always insure with Ducati Insurance and deal with a guy called Nick Wild, I have total confidence in him and he takes the pain out of paying...

Plus he's a ducati rider and a great guy...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote