UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » I look new, but I'm not...

Old 26-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
M900nsterold

I look new, but I'm not...

Hi Peeps,
Just thought I'd do a quick re-intro as I haven't been around here much recently, and since I came back my profile seems to have a glitch. My details and avatar don't show and I can't seem to fix it. But I read that there's a wider problem with this and it's being looked into, so hey ho.

Some of you know that my wife Lynn has breast cancer. One of the reasons for my absence from the forum is that life got complicated. Lynn's cancer came back in 2006 and claimed the other breast. The chemo they had to give her almost killed her (septicemia) but she bounced back. We got things more-or-less back to 'normal', then she went downhill rapidly over xmas '07 and the oncologist found the cancer had metastesised into her head. She had three brain tumors - one of them quite big. Massive doses of steroids, plus whole brain radiotherapy in Jan '08 and she stabilised. We were warned that it is now terminal, but Lynn's made of strong stuff and she's still with us and seriously bucking the odds. In fact she's on holiday with her Mum right now and I am taking a break from 'carer' mode. Our son Tom (17 now) is with his gf, and am enjoying a week to myself. Bliss! I might even go for a wobbly ride on the red beast.

I haven't only been away from here because of being in 'carer' mode. That would be unfair. It has changed my life, but not altogether in a bad way. Tom and I started playing guitar about 4 years ago and got rather stuck in. He's now pretty awsome and is looking to make a career of it. My fingers don't move as fast as his (nothing like) but I can get one or two useful sounds out of the thing and it makes me grin... We even persuaded Lynn to have a go on bass, but with everything she's been through it's no surprise she wasn't as committed as us boys. But recently something marvelous happened. I made a big effort to give her a way back in by getting her to play just a little every day, and suddenly her playing took on a life of it's own and she started sounding better and loves it. Just before she went off on the train last Thursday she said "I'm going to miss my bass" How cool is that?

We've been talking about trying to get out on a bike soon. Lynn's feeling strong enough at long last. I'm keeping half an eye on the forum now and we look forward to meeting up with some of you at some East Anglian gathering. It's been a very long time.
Love to all
Henry
Old 26-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Jeez that sounds sounds like a very tough few years to say the least but to hear you've all found some positive interests and that Lynn is doing ok is very up lifting!
Old 26-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
M900nsterold

Thanks Pedro,
I'm sorry if I'm cocking things up by trying using this profile instead of starting again with a new one. It might be that you contacted me and I've had a major 'senior moment' and forgotten all about it. Thanks for the words of support.
Henry
Old 26-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Henry - what a 'return back' post fella.
Hope Lynn has a good hol & that she does get to go out on the bike this summer

CK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
M900nsterold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
Henry - what a 'return back' post fella.
Hope Lynn has a good hol & that she does get to go out on the bike this summer

CK
Thanks CK,
I just got back from a spin along the coast road on the M900. I'm a bit rusty but I enjoyed it. Nippy out there this evening, but sparkling bright and the roads been washed by all that rain. I'm now eating my spag. bol. and thinking I need to ride the bike more often.
H
Old 26-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Ride more often?

You must remember to have 'me' time Henry, as well as having a lot of time together too - even just popping out for a 20 min spin will put the roses in your cheeks
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
M900nsterold

Yes. Roses in the cheeks I don't mind, but 4 white fingers? Even in the summer I get damn Raynaud's (fingers go white and numb). I'm going to have to get some bar muffs. :-) Then people will wonder 'what's a London dispatch rider doing in deepest Norfolk?' There's no escaping it: One way or another I'll look like I've lost the plot... Which, of course, is true.
Old 26-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M900nster View Post
Yes. Roses in the cheeks I don't mind, but 4 white fingers? Even in the summer I get damn Raynaud's (fingers go white and numb). I'm going to have to get some bar muffs. :-) Then people will wonder 'what's a London dispatch rider doing in deepest Norfolk?' There's no escaping it: One way or another I'll look like I've lost the plot... Which, of course, is true.
Try heated grips, you won't look like a lost courier then!

I'll try and sort the account thing out in the next day or two
Old 29-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Hi Henry, long time no hear eh? I'm guessing you've been a little busy. You, Lynn and Tom were at my very first UKMOC meet way back when at Southwold and were all excellent company. I'm sorry that Lynns cancer is now terminal. I remember a thread a long time ago about getting her back onto a bike of her own.........(I know people!!! Just give me the nod eh?!)I hope to see you all out and about at some meetings soon. If Lynn would like to go but isn't up to driving or pillioning (Yes, I believe that is a real word) then if I can I'm happy to drive her as I can't always get out on the bike these days.

You take good care of yourselves and keep in touch and welcome back.

Naomi
xx

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Snips

That's an inspiring post. All the best for your family.

Take care, and hope to see you around.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
M900nsterold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
Hi Henry, long time no hear eh? I'm guessing you've been a little busy. You, Lynn and Tom were at my very first UKMOC meet way back when at Southwold and were all excellent company. I'm sorry that Lynns cancer is now terminal. I remember a thread a long time ago about getting her back onto a bike of her own.........(I know people!!! Just give me the nod eh?!)I hope to see you all out and about at some meetings soon. If Lynn would like to go but isn't up to driving or pillioning (Yes, I believe that is a real word) then if I can I'm happy to drive her as I can't always get out on the bike these days.

You take good care of yourselves and keep in touch and welcome back.

Naomi
xx
Hi Naomi,
Yes, it does seem a long time since that Southwold meet. There's another next weekend I think, and as I said on the thread about it, I might get along there this time. Lynn is on hol with her mum at the mo and comes back Tuesday. I don't know whether she'll be feeling like riding down to S'wold on the back on the Monster, but quite likely she will if the weather is fair.

It's ever so sweet of you to offer to drive her. She'll be touched by that, but we can go in our car if she wants to go but can't face pillioning (good word that!). She had to surrender her driving license when she got the brain tumors, but she'd already decided that learning to ride a motorcycle was too much of a challenge and we sold her little MZ. Lynn much prefers to ride pillion anyway. We have been out on a bike together recently and plan to do a bit more. I don't think she'll fancy the long rides we did a few years ago but Southwold and back might appeal to her, especially if it involves a nice lunch.

And thanks Snips. I don't think we've met, but hopefully that will be put to rights soon.
Henry
x
Old 29-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by M900nster View Post
Hi Naomi,
It's ever so sweet of you to offer to drive her. She'll be touched by that, but we can go in our car if she wants to go but can't face pillioning (good word that!). She had to surrender her driving license when she got the brain tumors, but she'd already decided that learning to ride a motorcycle was too much of a challenge and we sold her little MZ.
Well, you know where I am if she changes her mind. I know some excellent off road and private places where Lynn can just do what she likes. The offer to drive is a genuine one. Take me up on it.

xx

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
welcome back mate, and all the best for lynn
Old 29-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
M900nsterold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
Well, you know where I am if she changes her mind. I know some excellent off road and private places where Lynn can just do what she likes. The offer to drive is a genuine one. Take me up on it.

xx
You're very sweet Nonnie. I don't think Lynn misses driving at all. I'll show her this thread when she returns. I'm sure it'll make her smile. I don't think she ever actually liked driving very much, it was more necessary and useful than fun for her. That might be the real reason she couldn't embrace riding a motorcycle. I think she was trying to do it to please me more than herself. I really appreciate your offer to drive her to events/meets. You never know, there may just come a time when that could work well, but when she can't face anything tiring she usually doesn't want to stray far from her bed, and when she's like that I prefer to do quiet things nearby so that I'm here for her. That's the real reason we haven't been involved with the club these last few years, it isn't that we lost interest, more that the cancer made itself central in our lives and changed what we can do. But as I said, we're up for a bit more action at the moment.

I'm also trying to get my boat sorted so that we can go sailing again. Feorag (she's a Folkboat - a classic wooden sailing boat 25' long) hasn't been afloat since 2001 and sits on her trailer in our front yard. I uncovered her recently and started cleaning her up and preparing for a major overhaul. Feels like I'm trying to do an awful lot all of a sudden but I'm desperate to get out and have some more fun. The Monster is on the road and running well, so one way or another we'll get out for some fun and fresh air.

See you soon
Henry X
Old 29-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
M900nsterold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris yeatman View Post
welcome back mate, and all the best for lynn
Thanks Chris,
I like your blue Monster. Same colour as my Telecaster. ie. deeply cool!