UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New person!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Michwell

Thumbs up New person!

Just past my test less than a week ago and now feel even less confident about it all!!!
Had a play with a 1999 600cc Ducati Dark yesterday and though not enough room to go above 2nd gear I fell in love. Now is the difficult bit; finding the bike. So any help, advise hand holding will be greatly appreciated. I am so pleased I was told about this forum.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Scootaboy

Congratulations on your test and dont worry - it does get easier the more experience you have - but just take it easy for a while - it literally can take years before you become a good, confident rider - but the more training (including the free bikesafe etc courses) you do, the better you'll be. The police motorcycle handbook is an excellent way to get some cheap training (ensuring you read it and take note!) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-R...6514543&sr=8-1 - its £11.99 from amazon

Always be aware of your surroundings...always ride defensively - other people are there on the road to knock you off dont forget and dont be pressurised by other bikers/vehicles to drive beyond your ability - you are your own person not a sheep - you do things at your pace and f**k everybody else!!!

As for your monster, generally the newer the model, the less hassle it'll be - but I'm a relative newbie, so you'll get far better advice from others on here.

Check service history etc, if its been ridden or stored (ducatis prefer to be ridden than stored apparently)...and other stuff (you'll get better answers than this later I promise )

You can check these and other ducati forums, bike trader, mcn website, ebay...private sale will be cheaper though maybe more of a risk (less so if you're buying from a well known forum member.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
MonstaChicky

Welcome

I'm new to monsters too...got my M600 back in January...and loving him!

You got some good advice above...ride at your own pace...I find riding with others who are more experienced is good for confidence building (I passed my test years ago but am just returning to biking after 5 or 6 years out)...as long as they are responsible! My other half has an on-board cam, I'm planning on getting him to film me for a bit, so I can get some ideas on how crap I look and how to improve lol. Am also going to book into a Ron Haslam race school to give me confidence in the bends.

Good luck with the bike hunt and enjoy

Nicky
Old 08-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Willobs

Welcome

Welcome, you are just up the road from me in Hastings. I scoured autotrader and ebay to track down my 2002/2003 Monster 620S i.e. Eventualy found the one I want from P&H Motorcycles in Crawley for £2,700. Don'y worry too much about peeling paint on Rear hangers (I am probably going to replace mine with racing rearsets) and the engine covers which when I can be bothered I am going to respray in black. The bikes are built for Italian climes so don't like our salt and rain too much so will all have this if they are more than a couple of years old.

The monster handles wonderfully, sounds like a real bike and looks lovely so who wouldn't fall in love with it?

As said previously the thing to look at is if a bike has been lying around, the monster has kevlar belts which if left will stiffen in position. These are the main chunk of cost addition for the 12,000 mile service so if you can get one that has new belts and has been ridden then your are

Take it easy and don't ride like a hooligan, at least not until know you can without killing yourself and anyone else
Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
well done mate, and welcome. watch out 4 those car drivers that dont like bike's and b safe.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Steveo

Welcome from another newbie to the world of the Monster and this forum.....

Best advice I can give....ride defensively...you'll still have loads of fun and live longer to enjoy it....
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Welcome to the family & well done with your test.

Ride within your limits until you've gained the experience to experiment.

Have fun
Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
OplayneO

hi and welcome, i was/am new a few weeks back and everyone on here is very helpful. i was looking at second hand monsters but ended up going for a new one. Looking at the prices of second hand ones compared to new ones theres not a huge amount of difference when you add up the extra servicing and bits you have to if you want a good clean machine. i did read a thread that ducati have put there prices up by 10% but are countering it by offering 0% finance. not sure if they are doing it on the 696 but wish they did that when i got mine. had it a week now and its the best thing i have ever bought, great bike and handles like a dream...not like i have pushed it htough as im still getting to grips with 2 wheels and sitting on the engine.

be carefull of those car drivers! you will ride down the road and see possible accidents every few miles. as long as you see it all happening a long way in front they become nothing and everybody goes about there lives untouched.

i'm going to do some courses to build confidence and experience, it comes highly recommended by all.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Snips

Some of us know enough to offer advice. The rest will offer encouragement.

(I'm in the latter category)

Welcome to the Monster club!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Pomp1

welcome to the forum,now go and search for your bike, summer is coming!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
jimbo696

Welcome,
If you are really unsure/lack confidence, ride with someone else to start with, it may help to know you have 'back up'..
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hello there and welcome to the club.
Good luck hunting for your Monster.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
DavidEJM

Welcome. Everyone's really friendly on here and will be there to offer advice and encouragement.

Good luck with finding the right bike.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Michwell

Hi to all! Thank you soo much for the welcome, encouragement and advice. I'm on a mission to find that bike!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Willobs

There are a few reasonable bike on AutoTrader:-

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...ch_full=SEARCH