UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Help I'm new!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Steveo

Help I'm new!!!

Hi. I'm a new member to the club although I've been an admirer of Ducati's for many years from afar. I've always gone with the 'safety' and 'reliability' of japanese bikes in the past, and am likely to keep one in the garage for security!! However, now time for a change but would like some guidance from those more experienced in the Monster World!! I'm going to buy a Monster this spring. it's going to be a used 'litre' bike, so which one should I buy? S4, S, S4R, S2R, S4RS? What are the differences? What should be avoided? What is reliability like? How old? Servicing costs? Service periods? Things to look for when buying second hand? My budget will be between £4-6k. Likely annual mileage will be around 5,000 miles per year, a mixture of commute and fun. Any help or guidance would be grately appreciated!!
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The 1000DS motored M1000 and S2R 1000 are great bikes, about the same power as an S4 without the four valve servicing bill.

The S4R and RS models are a hoot, very quick and good handling. Personally I'd avoid an S4 model that uses the 916 motor as it doesn't offer a great deal more than the 1000DS bikes except higher service bills. the S4R and RS use the later 4 valve motors and are considerably more powerful (esp with pipes and a power commander!)

When buying, look for all the service history. Service costs aren't that hoffific as there are plenty of good independant guys out there who do a good job - Pro Twins for one are not a million miles from you.

Reliability is not the issue it once was with Dukes and besides, they seem to be better the more you use them

Happy bike hunting

Ped
Not at all biased towards the 1000DS bikes... mines great!!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
The S4R model changed about 2-3 years back from the 996 engine to the newer 998 Testastretta engine. Power increase was a good 10% and the engine is as sweet as a nut if you like the extra plumbing and are power biased.
All the bikes seem to benefit from a change of the front sprocket to a 14 tooth one instead of 15 to make it a little better running at the lower rev range. If you want to spend the money something like a power commander is also a fantastic investment to help with smooth running.
I've only had a couple of the newer Monster models over the last couple of years so costs have been reasonable low because the servicing interval changed about 2 years back making it cheaper because it was less frequent.

If you get any questions you just fire them here and someone in the club will be able to help you.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I've always gone with the 'safety' and 'reliability' of japanese bikes in the past
LOL What a cheek!! Lots of here do reasonable miles, I expect to do about 12K a year in all conditions and my 750 has done that without any stress. So reliability is good, the electrics work underwater (personally tested in headstock deep floods). Handling takes a little more input than an equivalent jap bike but the monsters have depth, the bike won't let you down in the handling stakes you'll let the bike down.
I was very tempted by the S4 series, the ones I've tried have been quite nippy tools but I was a bit put off by the extra complexity and service intervals (oh yes and fuel comsumption) so got myself a 'classic' IE instead. (hehehe now I've upset the peeps who think plumbing is a thing of beauty).

When you get it use it, as Ped says they love being used and get hissy if neglected. Leave the spare in the garage to collect dust, no way it'll make you smile like a monster will.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
PDL

1. So which one should I buy? - I bought a 996 S4R, moving from 5 years of 748 ownership and it is amazing.

2. What are the differences? - Engine size and spec, S4 is 916cc, S4R are 996 and 998cc, S2R are 800 and 1000cc, S4RS is 998 with Ohlins

3. What should be avoided? - Bikes that have NO service history.

4. What is reliability like? - If you keep on top of the servicng then they are very reliable.

5. How old? - Doesn't matter, V twins are bomb proof, again you need FULL service history.

6. Servicing costs? Service periods? Max full service cost circa £500 every 2 years. Less for a 2 valve model

7. Things to look for when buying second hand? - Full service history

8. My budget will be between £4-6k. - You will pick up a stunner for that

9. Likely annual mileage will be around 5,000 miles per year, a mixture of commute and fun. - Thats about normal, I do around 3k per year
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
geeman

Excellent looking s2r 1000 on ebay at bargain price £6k 2008 model with carbon cans and ecu and only 700 miles on clock

Sounds like a bargain, if your still interested well worth checkin out

Ebay item 140299917224
Old 08-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Steveo

Thanks to all for the help and guidance. Taking Nickj's advice I suppose I'll sell both my bikes which should increase my budget as there's no point having one in the garage collecting dust!! If all goes well with the sale of both my bikes I'll be in the market for a Monster early spring.
The next question will be venues in Kent/south east London for good meets!!!
Thanks again, very helpful advice.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Kent meet: 2nd Sunday/month - Oakdene Cafe, Wrotham. 10am-ish.
London meet: 1st Saturday/month - Fatboys Diner, Docklands. Midday-ish.
Both often followed by rideouts once the weather improves.
Also a bit further afield: Italian nights - Ace Cafe, Wembley. 2nd Thursday/month 7pm-ish (again once the weather improves).
Check out the regions section for maps and to confirm dates.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
PDL

Stevo, one last thing.

You will find owning a Ducati is very special, it isn't uncommon to go on a ride out with up 30 bikes. At Raid the Lakes a couple of years back there was around 50 Ducatis. You dont get that with Honda.

But Monsters are even more special, we are the special ones amongst Ducati.