UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New S4

Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
nab

Smile New S4

Hello everyone!
Brand new member and full of questions!
I have just bought a slightly tired looking 2002 S4. The dealer has changed the battery and starter Motor and is going to give it a full service.
What should I do to keep it in tip-top condition? I'm aiming to use it a few times a week. It seems quite reluctant to start but its fine once it is going.
I have been offered a Foggy seat cowl and seat, will they fit? The bike has carbon Leo Vince cans. Are they any good? It is very loud! The frame and rearsets are quite tired looking. Should I touch them up with paint? If so any ideas what paint to use?
Prepare for more questions to come
Thanks
Nick
Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Scotty

umm S4's can be a battery killer rear sets will become tired again quite quickly as you rub your feet on them (some people more than other's like)

you can get touch up paint off ebay (or can you ~:? don't remember seeing any recently) i think there are some paint codes in the back of the owners manual you can have endless hours of fun trying to match
Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nab View Post
Hello everyone!
Brand new member and full of questions!
I have just bought a slightly tired looking 2002 S4. The dealer has changed the battery and starter Motor and is going to give it a full service.
What should I do to keep it in tip-top condition? I'm aiming to use it a few times a week. It seems quite reluctant to start but its fine once it is going.
I have been offered a Foggy seat cowl and seat, will they fit? The bike has carbon Leo Vince cans. Are they any good? It is very loud! The frame and rearsets are quite tired looking. Should I touch them up with paint? If so any ideas what paint to use?
Prepare for more questions to come
Thanks
Nick

Hi, welcome. Firstly, ask the dealer to change the cam belts as part of the service. Thy have a shelf life of two years regardless of mileage, so as when they were last changed.

As far as I know, the Foggy kit should fit - nice. Leo Vince are good bits of kit - again, if the price and condition are good, go for it. Re painting, I wouldn't bother touching up the frame - keep it honest and if it's really tatty, save it for a frame-off respray.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
retskcid

Hello, and welcome.

You should clean up the connections on the starter first - mine was very slow to start (I even bought a new battery) and once I cleaned up the terminal on the starter it improved things greatly.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
nab

Thanks for the advice will let you know how I get on.