UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » S2r

Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
GULLY

S2r

Hi Guys
I am looking at a S2R on Sunday - plate O6. Does anyone know if there is anything I should be looking out for i.e. any known regular faults or design problems.

Also, the bike has had its first service - does anyone know at what mileage the second service should be done?

All tips and advice are very welcome.

thanks
Gully

Last edited by GULLY; 07-12-2007 at 09:28 PM..
Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
neilbaldry

i found mine very user friendly. light clutch action and smooth motor make for a fairly effortless and air cooled ride. i havent really found any faults with mine. but one thing, lift the seat off and check where the seat touches the tank as the staples tend to scratch the paint off, so i'd reccomend getting them taped up or something first. you'll see a couple of white wear marks, but that might be a generic monster fault, im not sure.

dont worry about the exhaust pipes touching your right heel, they dont get in my way, and i dont notice them.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULLY View Post
Hi Guys
I am looking at a S2R on Sunday - plate O6. Does anyone know if there is anything I should be looking out for i.e. any known regular faults or design problems.

Also, the bike has had its first service - does anyone know at what mileage the second service should be done?

All tips and advice are very welcome.

thanks
Gully
Ooh that's exciting. I hope it's what you want Gully.

An 06 bike will still be under warranty, so make sure it has had the services done at proper intervals.
600 mile 1st service 2nd service should be within 12 months of 1st purchase, but I can't remember the mileage ( it's different on my 07 model).
I'm not aware of any faults etc with them, but be aware that when cold it can jump when you put it into first gear, even with the clutch in, so hold the brake.
Fingers crossed it is OK.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
neilbaldry

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post

2nd service should be within 12 months of 1st purchase, but I can't remember the mileage ( it's different on my 07 model).
6000 miles

ooooh! i forgot to ask the most important question, what colour is it Gully me lad?!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
GULLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaldry View Post
6000 miles

ooooh! i forgot to ask the most important question, what colour is it Gully me lad?!
there is only one colour. red with white strip
Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
GULLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
Ooh that's exciting. I hope it's what you want Gully.

An 06 bike will still be under warranty, so make sure it has had the services done at proper intervals.
600 mile 1st service 2nd service should be within 12 months of 1st purchase, but I can't remember the mileage ( it's different on my 07 model).
I'm not aware of any faults etc with them, but be aware that when cold it can jump when you put it into first gear, even with the clutch in, so hold the brake.
Fingers crossed it is OK.
Hi
I am not gettting my hopes up yet
The bike is on a 06 but only had 1st sev it got less them 2000 miles on it.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
neilbaldry

Quote:
there is only one colour. red with white strip
Hell Yes.

you looking at a private sale?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
GULLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaldry View Post
Hell Yes.

you looking at a private sale?
no bike shop.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Humbucker

Best of luck Gully, try to get a test ride in if you can and try different types of road, fast stretches and twisties to try and get a complete feel for it.

Hope it's what you been looking for.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
neilbaldry

Quote:
no bike shop.

would trying to bargain into the sale the 12 month/ 6000 mile service be too cheeky for yer? after all, you can only ask!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
GULLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
Best of luck Gully, try to get a test ride in if you can and try different types of road, fast stretches and twisties to try and get a complete feel for it.

Hope it's what you been looking for.
Hi matey
No ride on Buy.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Humbucker

Might be best to get a view of the others on the No ride on buy policy. I have 6 bikes all second hand except the monnie and have ridden all before purchase, so how common this policy is i dont know.

I wouldn't buy a bike i hadn't ridden personally
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
GULLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
Might be best to get a view of the others on the No ride on buy policy. I have 6 bikes all second hand except the monnie and have ridden all before purchase, so how common this policy is i dont know.

I wouldn't buy a bike i hadn't ridden personally
if i can not ride it.
i am not buying it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #14
Lucati

Why's it for sale after 2k miles? Is it ex-demo? Definately wouldn't buy without a ride as the mileage is questionable for a trade in....
Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #15
damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucati View Post
Why's it for sale after 2k miles? Is it ex-demo? Definately wouldn't buy without a ride as the mileage is questionable for a trade in....

i wouldnt worry about the mileage too much, my s2r has been loved, polished, serviced and cleaned since day one and its only just done 2000 miles on an 05 plate, simply havnt had as much time on the road as i'd of liked, but jeff at g-tec performance in leicester tells me that its gonna get better at 4000 miles when the engine wears in proper so thats something to look forward to

however dont buy it until you've had a ride on it cos thats just stupid, if they want a deposit then give it them but if they play hard ball and say no test rides then sod em, they'll only be doing it to pressure sell the bike and frankly i'd say no ride no deal, end of

Some ducati dealers are abit crap if im honest, its as though they expect sales purely on the name and the fact people fall in love with them.(some are really top notch though)

Whatever you decide to do and you end up with a red n white stripe one then give me a shout as i have a few bits n bobs that can bling it up just a tad if theres bits your not happy with, christ ive got 3 different mudgaurds for gods sake,,,,,,,,,,honestly you'll love every minute of it, and its down hill from here on in on spending,,,,,, markus and neil are good examples of that

good luck bud, stick to ur guns with the test ride!