UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » got my eye on a monster - advice please

Old 14-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
monkeypants

got my eye on a monster - advice please

Well i've finally managed to save up my pennies and i'm about to crack open the piggy bank. There's a gorgeous 04 plate 620IE with my name on it but I'm not 100% what model it is.

Its a 620-02, now does that mean its a 2002 model but was registered in 2004 ? only from what I've read the 2004 model has a slightly higher spec. Its gloss black with silver/grey frame and twin front discs if thats any help.

cheers
Pete

ps. Hello everyone ! all going well this will be my new hang out so be ready for dumb newbie questions like 'what does this nut do?' and 'what goes in here?'
Old 14-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
banditloon

Welcome to the group, Pete.

No idea on the model your going on about. Only just getting my head round a M900

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Hello everyone ! all going well this will be my new hang out so be ready for dumb newbie questions like 'what does this nut do?' and 'what goes in here?'
Don't worry about dumb questions, I've been asking them for years
Old 14-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
squiffything

Whilst not totally sure Mine is an 03 plate monster dark and only has the one front disc however I think that is because it is a dark I would assume the -02 would suggest it is the second revision of the 620 so may well have a higher spec.

That said the bike you really want to spend your pennies on is this one from the forum

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=22825
Old 14-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
One sure way to check, the later 620 has a six speed box, the earlier one a 5 speed box.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Gilps

I think the silver/grey frames were the earlier ones. The later ones had either black or red frames.
Don't know much about what it's worth, but if you can stretch to it have a look in dealers for unsold stock. I just picked up a brand new 620 for 4k. The 695 has knocked the second-hand values a bit.
Old 14-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
monkeypants

4k for a newun ! thats a dam good price. I am looking to pay 3k for this 04 with 1100 miles. My budget's pretty stretched but that is tempting...where did you buy from ?

Just waiting to hear back from seller reg gear box as suggested by zimbo before I make a decision.
thanks for the help
Old 14-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Gilps

I got mine from Three Cross Motorcycles, but I think it may have been their last one. Might be worth giving them a call though. Failing that just phone around all the dealers, someone somewhere must still have one unsold. The good thing is that at least with a new one you get 2 years warranty.
Check the spec though as Ducati had been a bit naughty with mine. As it was probably one of the last ones made I think Ducati chucked odds and ends at it from the parts bin. My one had the 300mm discs and lousy calipers as fitted to the S2r. Not a big deal as they were going to be changed anyway, but I think that the bikes should at least match up to the spec sheet.
Old 14-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
4k for a newun ! thats a dam good price. I am looking to pay 3k for this 04 with 1100 miles. My budget's pretty stretched but that is tempting...where did you buy from ?

Just waiting to hear back from seller reg gear box as suggested by zimbo before I make a decision.
thanks for the help

£3K is a good price for an 04 620 with only 1100 miles on it. Just check it is actually an 04 bike, and not a 2002 model that sat in a showroom for two years before getting registered. The VIN number will confirm if it's an 02 or 04 model 620.

My own 900ie is a late 2000 spec bike, but actually registered on a (51) 2002 plate. It's worth confirming the actual year the bike was produced - it can make a big diference when ordering spare parts.

Welcome to the club BTW
Old 15-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Chappers

Welcome
Old 15-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
monkeypants

the seller assures me its a 6 speed box and the dvla website gives the bike as manufactured in 2004 so its all on, yey ! so thats me for a 6 hours train journey to norfolk sunday (stupid bus replacement service) and a 3 hour monster ride home...can't wait...pleeease don't rain....
Old 15-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
6 speed boxes were fitted from late autumn 2004 and were available for the 54 plate bikes, though there were far more 5 speed bikes still in the showrooms at that time.

Our 'Tango' (620 race bike) was 1st reg in Jan 2005 & was in the first 'batch' to come over into the uk with a 6 speed box (to Pro-twins) in late November 2004, though still having the silver frame that the 2001 - 2004 620 bikes had.
There was a cross over period until Easter for these 6 speed box bikes, with the 2nd 'batch' coming in the early new year with red or black frames.

6 speed boxes were available in the UK Ducati stores at just under £300 from April 2005........

C

Last edited by CK & AK; 15-06-2007 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: spelling! - me, a spelling mistake!!!!!!!!!
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
monkeypants

ah well I guess I'll find out tomorrow but then I'll find it hard to walk away regardless..I wants a monster and I wants it now !
cheers for the info.
Old 18-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
monkeypants

I got my monster yesterday ! 4 hour ride from norfolk (would have been 3 if I didn't keep getting lost, too used to my car sat nav). been walking like john wayne ever since, hasn't stopped me getting back on in between showers for more fun today, she's a beaut

ps. its a 6 speed box.
Old 18-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Glad you have a good bike, welcome and congrats!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Pixx

Time to change your profile to mention the new acquisition!