UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » How long should an MOT take?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
bod

How long should an MOT take?

My 1st MOT 04 plate bike so wasn't expecting any problems,but was amazed how quickly it was done!

Took no longer than 15 mins if that?

Lights and horn checked,then headlamp aiming,quick check on the rolling road,then lifted up on the sidestand (with the help of another opperative) to check wheel bearings etc for play then it was wheeled off to be parked outside.

Ok I work in the motor industry and this guy runs a well know shop,and I sort of know him through a friend of a friend of a friend so I no the score.

But no mention of 'not for road use cans' and the rear reflector I had taken off was'nt mentioned also.

Ok this is'nt a moan at the garage as im glad it passed without having to mess about refitting the standard cans etc...

But was just wondering how long should it have taken as I felt the bike wasn't checked over properly,yeh I do my own maintaniance so know my bike and would proberbly know of any issues...was he just quick because it was a newish bike,maybe he would of spent more time on a 10 year old bike,also no emmisions test(are these part of a bike MOT)?

How long did your last MOT take?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
SazzaG

Mine took about 10 minutes!

It really depends on where you take it. There's no emissions test, the cans thing is very subjective and is up to the tester, but I'm sure they tested all the things that needed testing.

I have an Italian Flag reflector, and the tester just covered up the green and white bit with some tape, and said to me "just take it off when you get home". My cans are stamped "not for road use", but the heel guards conveniently cover that up!

However, where Rog last took his S4, it took about 45 minutes, and they failed him on his cans....

Just find a good tester, and stick with them!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Gadget
wtf...

Bike: Multiple Monsters
They are computerised and have to login to the DVLA during to test. Mine took 50 minutes. The testing still only takes about 10 minutes. The Certificate is printed via the DVLA and that is what takes the time.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=21221

Last edited by Gadget; 09-06-2007 at 05:56 PM..
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
bod

Yeh.... know about the DVLA computer,won't let you print a ticket untill a certain amount of time has passed after logging in.

An MOT on a car take 45 mins plus where I work......just wondered how long the avarage MOT takes on a bike as it's my 1st one!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Shauns4

The shop where I go allow 30 min per bike, takes them about 15 mins in reality.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
sidrat
ex S4rs owner

Bike: S4r
Just had two done no more than 15 mins each, the car has to take 1 hour
sidrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Spike

Place I go to say 30 minutes start to finish thats from first imput to DVLA computer to printing the test cert
Old 10-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Mine failed for:

Rear wheel bearings and no side light! The small and not very loud race cans got through!!

I suppose after 8 years something has to go wrong!!

I just wish id had a side light for the last 4 MOT's!!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Mine took no more than 15 mins. Had race termis on but no markings showing. Open clutch too which is not illegal but noisy

Only pointed out was my Road Race fairing lamps were pointing european side, too which I will take apart and reverse deflector for next time if not sooner when I remember but as I dont ride at night its not an issue.

Clean bikes go through easily and thats the only advice I would give anybody . Who would want to test a dirty bike.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote