UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Ignitech Ignition unit TCIP4.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Nasher

Bike: M900
Gaz

I was told it's Rover, but it doesn't matter for what I'm doing with it.

Although your image looks like you are correct.

Nasher.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My first thoughts were Rover, but I can't find a match.

I'm sure it will be an interesting work of Nasher art..
Old 17-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
Nasher

As a heads up for anyone doing this mod.

Over the weekend I tried driving a Roadracing Tacho from the Ignitech module by plugging in the jumper cable in the same way you’d do with the std IC ignitor.
It doesn’t appear to work, the cylinder whose cable you’ve plugged into won’t fire, I tried both.

I also tried a Ducati Performance tacho that plugs in the same way using the same style cable, that took the cylinder out too.
The Roadracing tacho appears to be exactly the same as the Ducati one with ‘Roadracing’ printed on the face, so I wasn’t surprised.

For the sake of completeness I converted the bike back to IC ignitors and using the same cables plugged into both IC ignitors in turn everything worked as expected with both tachos.

The IgniTech module does however provide a pin-out for a tacho, and helpfully some spare crimps in the box, so when I get some tinker time in the garage I’ll try running a later Ducati tacho from an injected bike from it.

This should give Carbie Monster owners more opportunity to fit a Tacho, as the later Tachos are more readily available on EBAY etc than the rare IC Ignitor driven ones.

Nasher.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
Dukedesmo

The ignitech tacho output works fine on my Translogic dash. Good thing is that it's adjustable as to how many signals per revolution so will work on different bikes.

I did have to reduce the 'correction' to 50% though as it was sometimes showing double the RPM when on 100%.

I also tried connecting the dash to the signal for the coil but was getting interference giving erratic RPM readings, I'm fairly certain that this was due to HT cable routing causing erratic spark that I have since fixed.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Suspect you will find the ignitech is putting out a waveform that the old tacho's cant read .....

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #21
Nasher

The M900 runs lovely with this unit fitted, but since I fitted it I've had to keep the bike hooked up to a trickle charger, otherwise the battery completely drains in about a week.

Annoyingly today I found before I fitted my replacement rear shock that the Trickle Charger had been switched off at the wall by Mrs Nasher when she used the lawnmower last Sunday, so the battery was unable to even turn the bike over.

Has anyone else found this with an Ignitech unit?
The battery was fine before I fitted it.

As a test I've unplugged the Ignitech unit, and when the battery is fully charged later I'm going to disconnect the charger and see how it is on Friday morning.

Nasher
Old 14-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #22
Dukedesmo

If the ignitech unit is powered from the ignition then it is isolated when power off so shouldn't run your battery flat, at least mine doesn't but I have none of the old ignition fitted as I modified all the wiring I am confident that it definitely disconnects from power when ignition off, not sure how standard wiring is but would think it is the same?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #23
Nasher

I'd been thinking the same thing, so need to revisit the instructions and the wiring diagram to see if there is a permanent live anywhere to the unit.

I'm hoping that I'm mistaken and it's just the battery gone down, but it was new this time last year.

Might be a good excuse for a Motobatt to join in the fun.

Nasher.
Old 14-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #24
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Have you checked for a parasitic drain on the battery, Nasher?

For those who've not done it before, disconnect the negative cable at the battery and use a multimeter set on amps between the negative battery terminal and the cable. If the reading is less than around 50 milliamps, then that's normal and suggests that the battery's the problem; significantly higher than 50mA and the wiring may be the culprit.

Hope it's a quick fix.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote