UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » A daily Monster?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Danstable

A daily Monster?

I've been lurking for a bit and keeping an eye on ebay for a nice 620.

Recently I've been thinking I should go for a Hornet or similar as I will use the bike all year round for a 7 mile commute plus longer runs at weekends. It will be stored outside overnight and hosed down twice a week or so. A Monster might not take kindly to such treatment according to some stories.

Basically, is this right? Am I opening myself up to loads of niggly problems?

The Hornet is a safer and faster bet but I just can't help being drawn to the Monster by both the looks and sound. No other bikes in my price range just don't come close in my opinion!

Chatted to a former Monster 600 owner and he commuted and stored outside and said it was fine....until it caught light and he defected to Buell.

Help! Am I potentially throwing my money down the drain and ruining a once lovely bike?!

Cheers,

Dan
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Mines lives outside but does have a nice cover, gets regular attention though. Clean and shine once a week, a pre flight visual every morning and is doing about a 1000 a month. It had done less than that a year when I got it, just how it's possible to have a bike and do that kind of miles is beyond me though
My feeling on bikes is if they aren't designed to be used then they have no point. Which was why I got a 2V Monster rather than an S4 (though I did rather lust after one), we have stylish and presence once you toss the standard pipes, a tough well proven engine and it's mechanically simple.
It seems happy so far.

7 miles a day might be more of a stress on the oil as it wouldn't be getting too hot but change it by time elapsed rather than miles.

A Hornet... 2 a penny, get something different get a Monster you'll love it
Old 05-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Nickj

Oh not to offend any multi valve addicts with those odd water filled attachments the S4's looked to need a bit too much maintenance given the miles I do. Still wouldn't mind one though... Just in the interests of science of course
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Paivi

Dan, my commute is about the same, and I do that on my scooter. The Monster (695) is saved for the weekends. It lives on the road, but under cover, partly to protect it from the elements and partly from curious (and dishonest) eyes.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #5

Hey there

I have a 2002 620sei ... Starts first crank every time. 7 miles is a short run, but with a long Sunday ride twice a month (weather permitting) and a close
eye on the condition of your oil you can’t go wrong with a 620. Get rid of the standard cans, I had ducati performance pipes fitted and tuned at a ducati
workshop.. that makes all the difference, such a lovely note. I would not really hose it down though .. just give it a wet cloth rub down with a bucket (when cold, not straight after a ride, and polish if desired) once a week. Oh, and a bike cover ...... A bit of TLC goes a long way, .. well thats what my wife tells me anyway ....

Do it, you will understand why you did once you have one. !!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Bodybag

Buy the Monster. I can guarantee you that your 7 mile commute each way will turn into a 30 mile commute each way cos you'll love the noise and handling of the Monster so much you won't want to get off it.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Definitely go for the Monster, but then we'd all say that.

I've had my 620ie for 2 years now and like others have a daily commute of 10 miles to work.

She's been brilliant with the odd hic-cup here and there. Mainly rear tail light - indicators blowing, but that's it. Nothing too major and what i'd expect from pretty much anything that's used daily.

Don't listen to people who tell you Dukes are unreliable - they like to be ridden daily and that's exactly what you'll be doing, so go out and buy one!

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Scotty

well its the unfortunate thing if you use a bike it will become tatty quicker than one that lives in a showroom, i did the short commute on an old 600 and kept it outside, it did alreet.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
Nickj

Works for me bodybag, going in and out is fun even when the weathers crap, both ways it all ends with a smile.
LOL Only dodgy bit is in between really
Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
Lucati

I drove vespa's for nearly 10 years doing a daily commute into London from Surrey (approx 14 miles each way) and they were great. Then earlier this year I did my direct access, bought a monster 695 (new one) and have never looked back. It takes 10 minutes off my journey but that's a shame because to be honest, it's so much fun I wish it took longer! I tried a friends rental Hornet last week, it was so quiet and so 'un special' - boring!. The ducati is the ferarri of motorbikes, even people who dont like motorbikes wet themselves when they see mine and when I start her up they love it even more! If you can stretch to a year old 695 then the servicing will be cheaper and it will be a safe commute especially with the remaining warranty on it. Go on - go for it!!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Danstable

Can't stretch to a 695 unfortunately, the 620 is pushing it a bit but I'll find the readies somewhere I'm sure (eat beans for a month or two!).

Also, I'm not too bothered by warranty as I'll be getting it serviced / looked after by a mechanic at work to keep costs down. How often should I expect to change the oil?

1001001001.....what's the difference between the S 620 and the non-S?

Cheers everyone, must get it done!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #12

The truth is I cant really tell the difference, mainly cosmetic, but you do get a double disk on the front as a standard .. I dont personally fancy the single disc look on any bike, looks kind of odd. ... engine, forks, and even the rear shock are the same as any other 620 (so i believe anyway)

I will post a pic tonight, I have been thinking of maybe selling, (maybe) still a
bit attached to it at the moment, but do get the feeling of wanting a S2 or S4 ..???
Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
squiffything

How much are you looking to pay? Mine may be available just been serviced (including the belts) 11 months MOT has high level DP pipes, a power commander fitted and runs lovely. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Danstable

I agree totally on the double disk thing, looks kind of puny with just the one.

I've sent you both PM's

Cheers,

Dan
Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danstable
.....what's the difference between the S 620 and the non-S?
620ie dark has a single disc, both the 'non-dark' ie and Sie have twin discs, the difference is the S has an alloy swingarm rather than a painted steel one and a ride-height adjuster. Also I think it has carbon heel guards and side panels but I might be mistaken.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote