UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Abba stand for S4R?

Old 08-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
The Clockie

Abba stand for S4R?

I have an Abba stand for the Cagiva Raptors and it works very well. I see they offer adaptors for the S4R but it looks to me as though there is very little to attach to. Is it possible that the neat shallow nuts that are visible and look very vulnerable to damage are simply blanking plugs and there's something meatier beneath for the stand adaptors to fit?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 10-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
haloguy628

On S4R ABBA and the other similar stands do not attach on the swingarm pivot but on the top engine mount. It's the mount right above the rearsets mount. It has solid rod going from one side of the frame to the other side that holds the engine mounted to the frame. So it's not flimsy at all.

BTW the ABBA stand actually holds the bike on both sides whereas the other similar stands only have attachment on one side of the frame. So the ABBA seems to be the best.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
The Clockie

Thanks very much Haloguy, that's reassuring. I've already placed an order for the Abba fitting kit but was starting to look at the pin-through-the-axle stands.

The Abba can be a bit fiddly (on other bikes) and it's easy to get the attachment fittings out of line but when all is correct they are a very stable way to hold a bike upright, and even better than having a centre-stand because the support is on a wider base. Talking of centre-stands, the one on the Hyperstrada is extraordinary as the geometry is such that a very modest bodyweight on the arm lifts the bike immediately without any heft. I wish more were like that!

Nick
Old 11-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
The Clockie

Hmmmm!

I just received the current Abba fitting kit for the S4R and it does attach to the swingarm pivots and not the engine mount tube as Haloguy suggested. I did wonder about that because the engine mount is higher than the swingarm, so the geometry would have been different. Maybe they've changed it?

Whatever, once clamped in place, the stand lifts the bike very well so that's good.

Nick
Old 11-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I've used an ABBA stand for years on my S2R which used the same fitments and it's always been over the big pivot bolt for all the SR bikes. Once clamped it is very stable, much more so than a paddock stand through the rear axle.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
Druid

Might as well add this here rather than start a new thread.

I ordered ABBA stand adaptors for a Monster 1100 which arrived the other day. They are marked as suitable for a number of Ducatis but they don't fit mine. The adaptors are identical both sides and have a cup which fits perfectly on a 24mm hex nut, and there are none on my bike. Now, it has some aftermarket rearsets which are mounted using 17mm hex head bolts concentric with the swing arm spindle and I'm wondering if these are smaller than the standard fittings

Old 25-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
The adaptors are identical both sides and have a cup which fits perfectly on a 24mm hex nut, and there are none on my bike. Now, it has some aftermarket rearsets which are mounted using 17mm hex head bolts concentric with the swing arm spindle and I'm wondering if these are smaller than the standard fittings.
Hi Druid

Yes, those fasteners are non-standard. The originals are, as you guessed, 24mm.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Don't they make a fitment that attaches to the footpegs for when you want to remove the swingarm soindle? I thought they did.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Hi Druid

Yes, those fasteners are non-standard. The originals are, as you guessed, 24mm.
Thanks. Just need to source some standard fasteners then
Old 25-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Don't they make a fitment that attaches to the footpegs for when you want to remove the swingarm soindle? I thought they did.
It seems that they do, remove the footpegs and screw in the adaptor. It looks like a fairly simple job to machine a suitable adaptor too. Pity I've been laid off because of this bloody coronavirus so I can't use the lathe at work