UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Evo 1100 rear shock - possible upgrade?

Old 22-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #31
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Bet you can't wait, Paul! I think chris.p will agree with me here that this work will transform the enjoyment of your Evo. By the way, did you manage to order your shock with the bespoke spring you wanted or did you have to buy that separately?

A couple of tips for when you reinstall your forks.

Pushing the forks up through the yokes can scratch the gold anodising. If you have some old-style sprung wooden clothes pegs, pull a couple apart to use as wedges.

Push them into the yokes to open the clamps slightly and the forks will slide right in without touching the yokes. And being wood, they won't damage the finish on the yokes.

As for positioning the forks, it can be difficult to measure the distance shown on the workshop manual as the yokes get in the way. An alternative is to put some masking tape around the fork 195mm from the underside of the bottom yoke to the end of the top tube (where the rubber dust cover meets the gold).

Slide the forks back in and, when the tape touches the bottom yoke, you're there! Also, if you apply the tape to each fork side by side, you can ensure they're both identical do they'll be exactly level when you reinstall them.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #32
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Excellent tips there Vince! much appreciated. I have some plastic window-fitting wedges available, they should do the trick for opening up the fork yokes. Measuring from the bottom of the fork seems easier than to the top so I will try that approach thank you.

James asked Ohlins about the rear shock spring and apparently the 115nm standard spring will be ok for my bulk so he has ordered that one.

It will be interesting to assess the difference once the bike is properly set up. Assuming of course that I am capable of doing so! *

*Assessing the difference, that is, not setting it up.

Last edited by bigredduke; 22-01-2021 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: addition
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #33
Omar

Thanks for that Luddite, as my forks will be coming out, useful tips for me too.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #34
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Thanks for that Luddite, as my forks will be coming out, useful tips for me too.

One more tip if you're planning to strip the forks yourself, (rather than send them away), is to loosen the top caps while the forks are still clamped in the yokes - much easier than trying to undo them on loose forks.
Old 23-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #35
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Leave them clamped up in the bottom yoke, leaving the tubes squeezed by the top yoke around the cap isn’t always helpful.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #36
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Leave them clamped up in the bottom yoke, leaving the tubes squeezed by the top yoke around the cap isn’t always helpful.
I was just going to say the same thing myself
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #37
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Good point, well made!
Old 19-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #38
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Picked up my upgraded forks yesterday & spent today refitting them:

New KTech valves, springs, oil & compression damping adjusters. Interestingly, James had to have some collars machined for the top of the springs to stop them rattling around in the caps as the KTech springs are apparently a smaller diameter than the standard springs.

Just waiting for my new Ohlins rear shock to arrive from Sweden now!

Shout out to James @ JRW suspension in Louth, Lincolnshire.

Thanks to Chris.P for the KTech spring information (they are actually CBR 600 springs, not listed on the KTech website for the Evo).

Thanks to Vince (Luddite) for the measuring & clothes peg tips, they were really helpful.
Measuring accurately from the top of the forks to the bottom yoke is nigh on impossible!

Once I have fitted the rear shock, I will pop over to JRW to get the bike set up properly pour moi.

In any event the bike won't be back on the road before April, it's still far too cold for my old bones!

Last edited by bigredduke; 19-03-2021 at 07:23 PM..
Old 19-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #39
Luddite

Great news BRD! Bet you can't wait for the shock and to try it out.

Interesting what you say about the fork springs - I originally had the same ones as Chris.p, (and so the same as yours too), but I subsequently changed them for softer 7.5N/mm Maxtons. Crawsue bought my K-Tech springs and told me that he had had to have some work done to the fork tops to accommodate them and I'd assumed that the springs were too large but it seems the opposite was true.

Do keep us informed.
Old 19-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #40
Luddite

PS don't you just love the positive clicks you get with the K-Tech damping adjusters? Much more confidence inspiring than the OE ones, which don't feel as if they do anything, no matter how much you twiddle them.
Old 19-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #41
Luddite

PPS did you contact Chris about those Desmoworld frame plugs in the end?
Old 19-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #42
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
PS don't you just love the positive clicks you get with the K-Tech damping adjusters? Much more confidence inspiring than the OE ones, which don't feel as if they do anything, no matter how much you twiddle them.
Not twiddled yet! I will leave them be until I take it out for a run
Old 19-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #43
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
PPS did you contact Chris about those Desmoworld frame plugs in the end?
Not yet, I don't need a full set because I have crash bungs fitted where the front ones would go but I do want to get rid of the OEM ones, they are horrible.
Old 19-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #44
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Not yet, I don't need a full set because I have crash bungs fitted where the front ones would go but I do want to get rid of the OEM ones, they are horrible.
Noted. Since those Desmoworld plugs are their own design and made for/by them, Chris might be able to do you a custom order.
Old 19-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #45
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Noted. Since those Desmoworld plugs are their own design and made for/by them, Chris might be able to do you a custom order.
Good point. I will contact him next week