UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Racing » Steeevvvooo the snail's blog

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #46
dunlop0_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
races 2 and maybe 3 (depending how I feel after race 2) later today!

Will try and post another update later. Also hoping to have budget-so-far figures in a week or so as people have also asked about this element (the thought of 5 figure budgets put lots of people off but that's not the case in DD)
All depends Steve on what you want. All in all DD last year with fuel, 12 sets of tyres, accomodation, test days and repairs from several off's cost me around 10K

But still worth it.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #47
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I hope it has gone ok for you mate

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #48
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1 View Post
All depends Steve on what you want. All in all DD last year with fuel, 12 sets of tyres, accomodation, test days and repairs from several off's cost me around 10K

But still worth it.
I can easily see that, but then again, people who already have a bike CAN do a season on about 3k. Lots of people don't do every round too so I guess that brings down costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
I hope it has gone ok for you mate
Went ok thanks mate. Was last in all 3 races , but I expected that after the wake-up call of the test day.

Managed to knock well over a second off my qualifying time in the second race (down to about 1min 7.5 secs, no laughing Neil!! ), and although a little slower in the third race, I was still 0.5-0.75 seconds quicker than qualifying.

My target after the test day changed from "don't be last" to "beat my qualifying time and make sure I don't get lapped by every single other racer". Both were successful as I at least finished on the same lap as at least 1 other person so relatively happy

Had an annoying "Did Not Finish" in the second race: the winner crossed the line about 6 seconds behind me (I was 2 laps behind at this point) and he caught me in another half lap at which point we were all flagged back into the pits as the race was over. As I didn't cross the line to a chequered flad I got a DNF It was a technicality, and pretty annoying as that race had my fastest lap, so to not be classified was frustrating
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #49
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Nice to see you at Brands today mate

The 600 sounded strong and I thought you rode the race I watched very well

I'll try to stick some photo's up here later - still think you were robbed on that DNF
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #50
He11cat

When is Snetts??? I go up and watch the twins race sometime but DD would be fab to watch ..

No Mr and Mrs Dunlop this year I bet your really missed as a fab couple .

The new section is nice up there to watch .... you should see some of the action shots I took up there!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #51
dunlop0_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
I can easily see that, but then again, people who already have a bike CAN do a season on about 3k. Lots of people don't do every round too so I guess that brings down costs

Went ok thanks mate. Was last in all 3 races , but I expected that after the wake-up call of the test day.

Managed to knock well over a second off my qualifying time in the second race (down to about 1min 7.5 secs, no laughing Neil!! ), and although a little slower in the third race, I was still 0.5-0.75 seconds quicker than qualifying.

My target after the test day changed from "don't be last" to "beat my qualifying time and make sure I don't get lapped by every single other racer". Both were successful as I at least finished on the same lap as at least 1 other person so relatively happy

Had an annoying "Did Not Finish" in the second race: the winner crossed the line about 6 seconds behind me (I was 2 laps behind at this point) and he caught me in another half lap at which point we were all flagged back into the pits as the race was over. As I didn't cross the line to a chequered flad I got a DNF It was a technicality, and pretty annoying as that race had my fastest lap, so to not be classified was frustrating
Steve, I know the 2 lap thing is frustrating but if you look at last years results some where lapped 3 times. So not to bad then. In fact if memory serves in the first race last year all but the first 3 class B bikes got lapped.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #52
dunlop0_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat View Post
When is Snetts??? I go up and watch the twins race sometime but DD would be fab to watch ..

No Mr and Mrs Dunlop this year I bet your really missed as a fab couple .

The new section is nice up there to watch .... you should see some of the action shots I took up there!!
Still a chance of an appearance yet Mel. Hoping at some stage to race the 996 in Supercup.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #53
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Don't be disheartened Steve, Brands is a circuit that really shows up the difference between experienced racers and new riders, circuit knowledge and experience really count there. Other circuits will be kinder.
What is for sure is that your riding will be dramatically changed forever after a season or two of racing.
Position on the bike is key, learn to shift your weight smoothly on the seat, and get your upper body over the side as well - to get this right, try deliberately dropping your inside shoulder once into the turn, that automatically pulls you into a good position.
Braking is very important in DD, with all the bikes on similar power corner exit speed is important so you need to modify your corner line to maximise exit speed, but most overtakes are made on the brakes. It will come with a bit of practice!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #54
steeevvvooo

http://stevogoesracing.blogspot.co.u...&max-results=7

An update from round 2 at Snetterton. A bit late, sorry, but I've been v busy recently.
Old 20-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #55
littlejimmy12

Good stuff, nice shots 2
Old 20-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #56
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Good write up, stick with it, by the sound of it you're gaining in confidence and your riding is coming on well. A couple more rounds and you'll not be at the back, race craft takes time to pick up but you're well on your way. Look forward to the next installment!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #57
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Great to hear the guys helped repair the bike after your prang

That typical DD spirit for you... looks like you are one of the gang now
Old 20-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #58
slob

Nice one Steve, seven seconds over the weekend is excellent.

remember your first trackday?

slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #59
steeevvvooo

Yep slob, it all started with a track day at Caldwell with the UKMOC boys, I remember it well

The spirit of most of the DD paddock is great. There as been so much support, advice, encouragement etc it really does make the difference for a newbie.

The shots are good, but most are from the official photographer. I must try to get more around the garages next time. Blackberry will be out in force for some less official photos
Old 20-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #60
slob

I know... look at the difference !

that was less than two years ago
slob is offline   Reply With Quote