UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 696+ Yes oh yes!

Old 14-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Lucati

Talking 696+ Yes oh yes!

I had a test ride on a 696 at Metropolis today and I have to say I was really impressed with it!
It felt a little taller than my 695 (it's the same on paper but the seat is definately a little higher) and the tank was lower so initially felt a little strange with so little actually in front of me.
It had a slightly higher pitch throb than my current motor but at higher revs it certainly let people know I was coming.

I did'nt really notice certain things until I got back on my bike but the brakes on the 696 are really good and the clutch and throttle are light and responsive. The digital clocks etc took a bit of getting used to and to be honest I prefer old fashioned clocks but hey, I'll have to live with it.

The turning circle was dramatically better which for central London Commuting is pretty handy.

I placed a deposit 6 weeks ago for a white 696+ and it looks like the earliest I will see it is early July but until then Damiano has said I can pop down for a test ride anytime to get my fix - top fella!

I'd recommend a test ride to anyone considering a change and especially somebody looking for a commuter! Stroll on July!!!
Old 14-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
COR

You read the comparison test in MCN today?
Old 14-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by COR View Post
Hope your bike arrives soon Lucati.

I have some differing impressions of the 696 (seat lower, turning circle sucks - but it could easily be my impressions that are wrong. Oh, and I hate to think of my pride and joy as a commuter! )

Great that Metropolis are giving you good service - that's where I went frequently to browse while I acquired the taste for the looks

Roll on July indeed!
Old 14-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by COR View Post
Can we have a hint??
Old 14-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
PeterPoddy

They do make a rather incredible noise, don't they?

Hope mine turns up soon. Like tomorrow!
Old 14-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPoddy View Post
They do make a rather incredible noise, don't they?

I'm still getting over how damned quiet it is - cant wait to add some decent cans/system on her (being fabricated as I type - and before anyone asks, they are a one off!)
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
I'm still getting over how damned quiet it is

Eh?

Are you deaf?

Makes more noise than my Speed Triple with a road legal race can on.... Induction noise if for the rider. Exhaust noise is for posing to other people!

Old 14-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Snips

Quote:
I'm still getting over how damned quiet it is - cant wait to add some decent cans/system on her (being fabricated as I type
Oooh! ...any chance...

Quote:
- and before anyone asks, they are a one off!)
...oh, nevermind

Old 14-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
PeterPoddy

The first thing I'll be doing to mine once it's run in is to fit a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. 6th gear is useless until you hit 75mph. The damned thing is geared for at least 150mph FFS!!!

75Mph = 4500rpm, 9000 - 9500 rpm cut out? (Well that's about where the shift light came on when I thrashed the test bike)
Gives 150-160mph in top = Useless overdrive gear.
It's to get it through the emissions regs AFAIK.

For about a tenner that will make five times the difference a £700 pair of cans will!
Old 14-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
Eh?

Are you deaf?

Makes more noise than my Speed Triple with a road legal race can on.... Induction noise if for the rider. Exhaust noise is for posing to other people!

Not deaf at all - dont you wear ear plugs too?
I find exhaust tunes alerts drivers on quite a number of occasions - and lets the REAL ducati sound out when required.
A properly made system will still permit the bike to sound moderate, when ridden moderately - and also sing well when opened on road or track.
Mind you, I've had Ducati's for quite a long while now and am so used to the 'proper' sound from all of them, right up from the 620 - as well as open clutch on our bigger 2 (before you comment on that type of noise - its cooler for it as I tend to ride distances ).
One of my bruvs had an uncorked striple till he got his latest bike a couple of weeks or so ago, but he said it still doesnt measure up to AK's special for 'tune'
Old 14-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
PeterPoddy

Quote:
The damned thing is geared for at least 150mph FFS!!!

Oh, and regarding todays MCN test, THAT'S why the 696 was totally thrashed by the other 3 bikes in the peformance tests, especilly the top gear roll on, which is frankly embarrasing

But nobody at MCN had the brains to notice that, did they? Yet a fool like me spots it in a 25 mile test ride.......Professional testers? Yeah, right.

Old 14-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
The first thing I'll be doing to mine once it's run in is to fit a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. 6th gear is useless until you hit 75mph. The damned thing is geared for at least 150mph FFS!!!

75Mph = 4500rpm, 9000 - 9500 rpm cut out? (Well that's about where the shift light came on when I thrashed the test bike)
It's to get it through the emissions regs AFAIK.

For about a tenner that will make five times the difference a £700 pair of cans will!
Peter - own a Ducati, get some experience with them mate - not everyone needs/wants to be having 150/160 mph bikes

The gearing is FINE for most average riders to start with, its a great bike too

You might pay £700 for 'cans' - I prefer to get a decent system (like we have on most of our bikes), thus eliminating a lot of un-necessary weight from the bike, and also gaining in performance too by a small margin.
The full system on AK's road bike, weighs less than one 'std can' on a monster........

Maybe you should have brought a bike with a 1100ds engine in it?

Happy monstering
Old 14-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Not deaf at all - dont you wear ear plugs too?

LOL!

Why would you wear earplugs when you can listen to induction like that?

I admit all Dukes sound lovely unsilenced. I might get mine canned, or I might spend the money on fuel and tyres..... We'll see.

I saw the official accessories brochure at the weekend. There will be a nice neat numberplate hanger, I'll get one of those I think, and maybe some nice mirrors. And I'll uprate the headlight bulbs too.

Anyway, why am I on about this. I gotta get my grubby little mitts on it first, FFS!
Old 14-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Peter - own a Ducati, get some experience with them mate - not everyone needs/wants to be having 150/160 mph bikes

Happy monstering
I know...... I'm swapping a 150mph Speed Triple for it!
My point was that it will NEVER pull 150mph. That's what it's GEARED for though, which is too much. Lowering the gearing will improve acceleration and response. I've done it before.

It will get top speed in 5th, I imagine, like most cars the top gear is an overdrive.
It did chug a bit even at 75mph in 6th!
Old 14-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
... Lowering the gearing will improve acceleration and response. I've done it before.

so have we on a few occasions, particularly with our race Ducati's........