UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Ducati 1000 DS custom build

Old 28-06-2023, 01:10 PM   #76
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Enjoyed that Guzzi video, I know I'm a Ducati man, however if that bike was ever to come up for sale
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #77
buzzer

Bike: M900
They say a custom build is never really finished… that’s a true statement! while the four cable throttle worked really well… it was just a little too slow for my liking, taking just more than a fist full from closed to open. Also, after buying a clutch cable from Venhill for the Guzzi and being impressed with how much lighter it made the clutch, I decided to buy some of their teflon lined conduit, and some of their flexible wire rope as opposed to cable. That has made a significant difference to the feel of the throttle, especially as I extended the liner into the adjusters and throttle housing. I also incorporated a positive stop for fully open on the throttle, save straining the cables. I always enjoy silver soldering and watching the solder flow into the gaps to make a seamless joint! I did have to buy some more sticks of solder as I was getting low… £10 a stick now! it used to be £1 last time I bought some!

Old 14-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #78
buzzer

had to be done!

if anyone is interested I have done a blog page on spraying at home...

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects...aying-at-home/

Old 22-12-2023, 02:34 PM   #79
buzzer

A custom build is never finished....

When I first built this bike I wanted an underslung silencer, which I did make… Unfortunately the bike ran like a bag of crap with it on, due to a silly design error i made in opposing the inlets from each cylinder into the silencer.. at 1/8 throttle, it ran rough. So this is MKll design!

I also wanted to put the British standard numbers on it, just in case the MOT man was in a bad mood… so I had some stencils made up and etched them on along with a Ducati logo. this is a very easy and simple process, here is a short video of how it’s done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUHDefIB7E
Old 22-12-2023, 04:06 PM   #80
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Under slung exhaust.

But does the modification address the poor running issues…..? A nation hold’s it’s breath !!!
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #81
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
But does the modification address the poor running issues…..? A nation hold’s it’s breath !!!
YES! took it up the road and it runs like a dream! I will DEFINITELY need some MOT baffles though
Old 09-01-2024, 02:15 PM   #82
buzzer

Probably my final post....

Well I said I wouldn't build another bike this winter, instead focusing on some house renovations which I started in September, planning to finish around March. But I got my skates on and had them finished by Christmas, gaining me MANY brownie points...

Last week I got chatting to a mate who had this Honda SLR 650 at the back of the shed, not ridden for a few years. Well I have always fancied doing a big single, and as this was Electric start, it fitted the bill perfectly!

I like to have a design brief in my head before I start, In this case, as always it will be minimalist… As light as I can make it… Parts I do put back on I will ask myself, “can I make it?” The front wheel will be changed to a 17” to match the rear, which will entail a wheel building session, something I have wanted to do for years… we will see on that one!

I ordered the tank soon as I got it... Brand new... off a CG125 Honda, great quality, came with a new cap and tap... £38 delivered, how do they do it for that little!

If anyone wants to follow this build it will be on my blog... www.jtccc.wordpress.com or I am happy to post on this thread if that's what people want?

Old 09-01-2024, 03:55 PM   #83
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Certainly hope it's not your final post Tony,have loved witnessing your engineering and bike building skills,keep 'em coming if possible.

Best wishes

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #84
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Second that…..lift the gloom of mid-winter…..!
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:17 PM   #85
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
This will be interesting.
My "other" bike is a modified Honda Dominator, so substantially the same base.
Mine is nowhere near as tidy as your's will no doubt be .. more of a day to day hack than a tidy custom.
I suppose the CG tank is a decent choice. They've been used many times before and are proven. Personally I went with an ally tank from a TT500 (XT500) yamaha as the bike is a lifetime keeper. Fairly easy to make them fit and they have clearance for the oil-in-frame filler cap too. Worth considering maybe ?
I also pondered fitting the rear end with one of the curvy teatrays from a monster but that is on the back burner for now. I reckon it would look good. Feel free to use the idea.
I kept the larger front wheel (21 inch in the case of the dommi) as I wanted to build something a little more personal than the usual "streetracker" style.
Finished weight is 145kg by the way.
I considered fitting a flatslide Keihin but so far I've stuck with the original carb but ditched the airbox. If you go a similar route I can supply ballpark jetting info should you need it.

While it ain't a monster nor even a ducati, I for one would be very interested in following the build.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 09:14 AM   #86
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Buzzer - Please post here as it is always a good day when I see you have posted
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 10:41 AM   #87
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Indeed.
keep posting!
New thread for the SLR650 build…
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 04:17 PM   #88
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
This will be interesting.
My "other" bike is a modified Honda Dominator, so substantially the same base.
Mine is nowhere near as tidy as your's will no doubt be .. more of a day to day hack than a tidy custom.
I suppose the CG tank is a decent choice. They've been used many times before and are proven. Personally I went with an ally tank from a TT500 (XT500) yamaha as the bike is a lifetime keeper. Fairly easy to make them fit and they have clearance for the oil-in-frame filler cap too. Worth considering maybe ?
I also pondered fitting the rear end with one of the curvy teatrays from a monster but that is on the back burner for now. I reckon it would look good. Feel free to use the idea.
I kept the larger front wheel (21 inch in the case of the dommi) as I wanted to build something a little more personal than the usual "streetracker" style.
Finished weight is 145kg by the way.
I considered fitting a flatslide Keihin but so far I've stuck with the original carb but ditched the airbox. If you go a similar route I can supply ballpark jetting info should you need it.

While it ain't a monster nor even a ducati, I for one would be very interested in following the build.
Thanks, I have ordered a 41mm FCR already! would love to get some jet suggestions!

I will keep posting progress guys!
Old 10-01-2024, 05:31 PM   #89
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I'm really looking forward to this, who doesn't love a build thread, bring it on.
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 01:54 PM   #90
buzzer

first job has been to fabricate the rear subframe. I bought a pre bent hoop off Ebay and some Rod Ends. I did think about just welding it on, but I do like the industrial look of rod ends, and they make attachment point easy and adjustable. The bolts through the frame will be 8.8 high tensile and not stainless in this application. I will also be sleeving the frame where the bolts pass through and welding the bosses I have made on there.