UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Own one at last.

Old 17-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
SteveP

Bike: S2r
Thumbs up Own one at last.

Hello all, first post from a new member, could I ask some basic questions? The bike, an s2800 has scratches , not deep on the tank and tailpiece, will they polish out, what best to use? Chain lube, which make is recommended? Starting from cold how long should I let it warm up before riding, the temp. gauge reads low for some time. Only had the bike a few days and am very pleased so far, so easy to use compared to my old Laverda triple! Any advice etc very gratefully received, thank you.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi Steve and welcome,

You sold your Laverda triple? What did you have and what are they fetching these days? I only ask as I have a Mirage and ILOC won't do valuations. But yes they are a much nicer bike in many ways, weight for one and similar power. If the Sr2 has the digital dash like my S4 does then it usually flashes low before it gets to about 40c, so I would leave it to warm up until it stops flashing. It can take a few minutes for the oil to reach the top of the rear pot and they can be lumpy when cold anyway. Will it run with the stand down? If not there is a mod kit you can get which will fix that, it depends on what year it is and how it left the factory what ecu etc. Mine would stop with the stand down which was a real pain, but the kits are a godsend. You can let the bike warm up while you get togged up etc.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
a minute should suffice warming if your stuck for time but start it and get geared up helmet and gloves in the meantime and obviously don't walk away.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
For the scratches, as a general rule, if they can't be felt by a finger nail, you should be able to polish them out using something like farecla G3 rubbing compound and finishing with finer G10. Use a microfibres cloth to buff up. Using a rotary buffer/polisher gives better results.
Be careful as the clearcoat isn't the thickest!

My 2p worth on warming up is start up and set straight off, keeping under 4000rpm until warm, that way everything else is getting warmed aswell. Gearbox, chain etc.
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I always warm it up until I see the neighbours curtains twitching

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
For chain lube I use a Scott oiler with gear oil in it......love them or hate them....

I let mine idle for a couple of minutes before setting off and then keep it gentle until I clear the first mile.

I have had a number of bikes and unless scratches go through the paint I don't worry, just loads of wax and polish.

Enjoy the bike.
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Chain lube = Wurth dry lube.
Warming up - not needed in my opinion, just ride off reasonably gently and don't thrash it for the first couple of minutes. It'll warm up much faster if it's under a little load! I never warm mine up, just start and ride off gently! Some of the more fragile 4V watercooled superbikes of recent years needed careful looking after, the air cooled 2V engine is almost bombproof!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote