UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Monster 900Sie 50000mile refresh.

Old 14-05-2024, 09:18 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
On goes 2.6kg.

Almost forgot that I found some stainless roll pins that are the exact size of the retaining pins for the airbox lid clips, so I swapped the rusty ones out for rustless ones.
Also discovered that one wasn't the proper pin at all, but a piece of brass rod that was too small and dropped out. I suspect this is the work of Harrison when he last serviced the valves. unbeknown to him, the last work he will do for me!

My proudest achievement so far is to finally, after so many years, fit the centre stand.
It's been a bit of a battle and I had to get rid of the floating rear brake and part of the Sie extended lower mudguard.
First job was to grind out the cross brace to give the tyre more room. I re-plated this for strength and added a small extra brace close to the pivots as a precaution. (See post #80)
My cousin has a really good chap at his vehicle repair garage who is ace with the company MIG and he did a great job of the welding.
He did forget to move the assistor arm out by 15mm as I asked, but I forgave him.
I got it hot enough to bend at home with a large propane torch I have. but each little bend revealed the need for another in a different place. Long story short it ended up looking like a sad liquorice twist and had compromised the ground clearance unacceptably, so I cut it off.
I figured that a straight arm ending just in front of the silencer would put the foot pedal exactly where I wanted it and be completely out of the way.
I found a piece of tube and splatted it on with my stick welder, but it made it impossible to get the bike on the stand at all. A study of the geometry made it obvious what I had done wrong and how it needed to be to work.
I found a great place in Cumbria who will put a bend of any angle in a 300mm piece of tube, with various diameters available. https://www.vpengineering.net/
So I made a cardboard template to ascertain the angle and ordered up for less than a tenner.
With the actual tube in hand it soon became obvious that I'd got it wrong, but I'm learning and it's now much easier to see what I need to do.
So after another cardboard pattern I made another order with a 27degree bend and this was much more successful. I tacked this with my stick welder and let the good guy finish it properly.

It now comes up just behind the chamfer of the silencer and I don't think I'll be getting down that far with my riding style at my age!
The action to get it on the stand is so easy now. A revelation.
The trick is to get the end of the arm as close to the ground as possible when the stand is down.

You can see the arm through the stand, about 5mm from the ground.

Whilst playing with the stand it occurred to me that I could possibly contrive a way to lock it down and I came up with two brackets that align when the stand is down. Kindly welded on for me again by my new mate.
It will lock down with any disc lock, but I bought an alarm lock for the purpose.

That'll give the thieving scrotes something to think about while I load and aim!!

I'm really pleased with my work and consider it 2.6kg well worth carrying. The disc lock is nearly another half kilo too, but well worth it if I get to keep my bike.

As it happens I have another ST2 stand which I intend to modify in the same way for a Monster.. So if anyone's interested..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 14-05-2024 at 09:22 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 08:13 AM   #2
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
I'll definitely be up for some screws when you're ready but no rush! I also have the centre stand kit to fit to my 900 when I get all my wheels etc powder coated and return from Normandy next month. I won't go for the lock option though as I'm highly likely to forget and try to ride off.

Finally are you seeking the rear brake?
Old 15-05-2024, 09:03 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Well I'd be interested in seeing you try to ride off with the centre stand down..
Possibly the only thing funnier was the guy who toppled over in front of me at a roundabout many years ago.
I went help him up and he said he'd forgotten to put his feet down as he'd only just taken the chair off.

Screws no problem, whenever you send me your address. Shame the postage is so much for those tiny bits!

Yes I've got all the brake bits already thanks, Bracket, pads, hose, Ti bolts, a new disc and of course the original caliper.
I'm hoping that will save a few grams over the floating set up as I'm concentrating on paring the unsprung weight down wherever practical/affordable.
I don't see the point in trying to claw back the 3 ish kilos the centre stand has put on since I always ride with pannier full of stuff anyway.
I'll be interested to hear how your centre stand kit fits. I highly recommend a dry fit first.
Old 15-05-2024, 09:08 AM   #4
900Rebuilder

Currently I've got a built bike sat on a stand with the rear end complete and the yokes fitted at the front with my focus at moment being getting the wiring joined up.

Need wheels, tyres and some other misc parts coating next and then fitting before I can try the stand kit.

Time and money - never have enough of both! But I'd be interested in the rear brake minus the caliper and hose as I've got all those bits already.
Old 15-05-2024, 09:30 AM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Ah! Sorry to be mean, but I'm hanging on to all the original Sie stuff including a new un-cut mudguard extension.
I did compile a list of part numbers to make a floating brake kit for Craig and Luke at Moto Rapido, hopefully they still have it on file.

For what it's worth I persevered with the floating brake for 11 years and many thousands of miles, while diligently keeping on top of maintenance, it has proved to be a very wear prone set up regarding rose joints, floating axle bushes, discs and pads.
Apart from that it works well when in good order. You can brake hard with no pitch change or wheel hop.

To be honest I think the centre stand trumps the floating brake in terms of usefulness and besides you can't have both btw, the torque rod clashes with the stand.
Old 16-05-2024, 06:59 AM   #6
900Rebuilder

No worries I've got the parts list ready but from memory it's about 300 notes all in so not urgent. I did contact Redfox but whilst they sell them they didn't have any stock or could tell me when more would be manufactured.