UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Workshop Platform Lift

Old 28-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Workshop Platform Lift

I've done a wee search - seems to be a lot about paddock stands, but can't find anything about workshop lift tables.

I'm looking to buy one, so I'm wondering if anyone here has one and would recommend any particular brands?

I'm in the up to £500 range, which looks like I've got a choice between SwitZer, Clarke, and Sealey. I know Sealey's hand tools are ****e, but what about things like this? Same with Clarke, and SwitZer I haven't heard of but seems popular.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
mickj

Bike: M1200s
As most of them are made in china I would go with the biggest one you can fit into your workshop. I bought about 10 years ago and it works perfectly, just wish I had bought a bigger one as once the work starts, tools, parts rags etc fill up all the empty spaces.
Old 28-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Dukedesmo

I've got a Clarke lift with the hydraulic and pneumatic operation and it's great. I did have a seal leak so needed to replace it but the repair kit was cheap enough and it has seen a lot of use.

I really don't know how I managed before, especially doing front cylinder exhaust valve adjustments and, IMO it's worth paying the extra for the air lifting option as it is slow to lift by the pedal.

I altered it slightly by 'widening' the wheel chock so that I can clamp the rear wheel as this gives another option for removing the front end etc. plus you can remove the clamp to get the bike on paddock stands for tyre changing etc. without doing your back in.

Takes up a lot of space but I use it as a parking space for 1 bike when not in active service.

Also comes in handy for lawnmowers, quads etc. - highly recommended.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
FrankenDesmo

Good point about being able to remove the front chock, as the first job will be front brake overhaul so need to be able to remove the front wheel on the table.

Looks like you've got the CML3 - for the extra £70 to get air & foot it seems worth it (I don't have a compressor but might eventually).
Old 28-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
Good point about being able to remove the front chock, as the first job will be front brake overhaul so need to be able to remove the front wheel on the table.

Looks like you've got the CML3 - for the extra £70 to get air & foot it seems worth it (I don't have a compressor but might eventually).
Yes CML3, if you watch Machine Mart they sometimes do VAT free deals so a decent discount.

In the pic you can see I have the chock removed but you can (if you redrill the mounting holes, slightly further apart) get the rear wheel in the chock, meaning you can lift the front whilst the back is held firm.

I've even raised the bike up in this position, tied the front of the frame to the ceiling joist and then lowered the platform to hold the bike in a (stable) 'wheelie' position so that I can remove forks/yokes etc.

Definitely worth an extra £70 for the air option IMO and you can get a small compressor for around that figure plus, a compressor is another must have anyway IMO.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
FrankenDesmo

Cheers, I think you've got me sold on the Clarke.

Just been looking at SGS compressors - a 50l 2.5hp job for £120 looks ideal.
Old 28-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I've got a Clarke lift with the hydraulic and pneumatic operation and it's great. I did have a seal leak so needed to replace it but the repair kit was cheap enough and it has seen a lot of use.

I really don't know how I managed before, especially doing front cylinder exhaust valve adjustments and, IMO it's worth paying the extra for the air lifting option as it is slow to lift by the pedal.

I altered it slightly by 'widening' the wheel chock so that I can clamp the rear wheel as this gives another option for removing the front end etc. plus you can remove the clamp to get the bike on paddock stands for tyre changing etc. without doing your back in.

Takes up a lot of space but I use it as a parking space for 1 bike when not in active service.

Also comes in handy for lawnmowers, quads etc. - highly recommended.

I think I have that model too. Been a blessing. I only paid £150 for it secondhand but best thing ever. I had a 180 return journey too in the back of my estate. It does drop a wee bit over time but has the safety bar to stop it. As you say it's also a bike park if needed. Monster goes on front and rear stands on mine too.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If space is an issue, then the Abba skylift may be an option. I don't have one (just the standard Abba one) but they look good and can be packed away after you have done.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
FrankenDesmo

Nah space isn't an issue, would much rather have a full table.

Of course Clarke charge another £50 for shipping too ��
Old 28-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

url=https://flic.kr/p/GdiWon][/url]23172376_10214886844309768_4180608567211827496_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

Mines only really just big enough tbh but does the job well.

Last edited by Albie; 28-07-2020 at 11:48 AM..
Old 28-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If space is an issue, then the Abba skylift may be an option. I don't have one (just the standard Abba one) but they look good and can be packed away after you have done.
Then it's a no brainer!

Old 28-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
FrankenDesmo

Order placed for the Clarke table with air option. My back and knees feel better already.
Old 28-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
Nah space isn't an issue, would much rather have a full table.

Of course Clarke charge another £50 for shipping too ��
I can tell you they are bloody heavy. Even getting out of my car was a chore. You wont regret it but you will wonder why you left it so late.
Old 28-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You'll probably break you back getting it unloaded then but after that, all good? I wish I had the space for something like that, would be a godsend for my back too!

Old 30-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #15
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
I have a table too, as mentioned in previous posts it's a tool you will wonder why you didn't get one before, that and a digital camera/phone are two of the top tools, the camera to take pics of disassembly to remind me as I get older where all the bits I took off go ����

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote