UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » 1100 Evo or 1000 DS?

Old 25-02-2021, 10:03 PM   #46
makemdan

Bike: M1100evo
Well.... what a transformation!

Sun shining and bike ready with suspension upgrade and rexxer remap so a short 20 mile jaunt was an absolute pleasure- no surging or hunting. Not a real test of the shocks yet but they have stopped diving and the whole bike feels right. Just need a nice warm spring day for a longer test.

Still have the new sprockets and chain to do but the14 tooth front seems to be doing the biz. I need to change though as the chain is near the end of adjustment.When I change the chain and sprockets I guess I should fabricate a crankcase protector as well?

Thanks again everyone for all the extremely useful advice
makemdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #47
Luddite

It really is a dramatic change, isn't it?

So pleased you're happy with the results. You may find it gets even smoother over the next couple of hundred miles as the ECU relearns all the autoadaptive parameters. In the meantime, don't be surprised or disappointed if you notice some erratic running at tickover or the revs hanging around 2k when you come to a stop - that will soon settle down.

Enjoy and let us know what you think of the suspension once you've had a chance to test it properly.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #48
makemdan

Done a couple of hundred miles since getting the bike sorted, 80 miles today. Mostly b roads, some horrible single track potholed with traffic coming other way. I'm a bit rusty so each trip has felt like 1st trip of the. Season which probably puts a negative spin on my findings but here goes.

Overall I'm a tad disappointed but that may be down to me as I've been recently diagnosed with mild vertigo which could be affecting my balance.

Fast A roads and dual carriageways.

Bike is a joy to ride, love it

Fast B roads and twistes.

Suspension seems a little harsh. I had specs on (waiting for new contacts) which were bouncing on my nose and a little off putting. Bike handled well but found myself in too high a gear too many times

Single tracks-terrible road surfaces

Bike was a PIA but I've always disliked these, only on them due to enforced diversion of a diversion

So, I can't say I love the Evo yet but I think and hope I'll grow to love it.
Think I need to adjust suspension and maybe invest in a gear indicator
Old 03-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #49
Luddite

Sorry the suspension mods haven't yet lived up to your expectations, Ian. It may just be a case of needing some fine tuning. The good thing is that, now you have quality damping valves, you will actually feel a difference as you adjust them, unlike with the stock damping where I couldn't detect much difference between wound fully in and fully out.

If you read my thread on my own suspension changes, you'll see I had similar feelings to you, even down to the specs bouncing off my nose! That's how I know the suspension's working properly now - my specs stay planted whatever the road surface.

You might want to try backing off the compression damping. I have mine wound right back to just two clicks off minimum. I've made a conscious decision to tune the forks for compliance rather than for ultimate high speed performance. I have pretty soft 7.5N/mm springs and a light 5 weight oil instead of the recommended 7.5. The result is a very compliant ride but with no bottoming so I see no need for firmer springs. The sag figures are right in the middle of the ideal settings and, after braking hard enough to activate the ABS as a check, I still have 15-20mm travel left to deal with bumps.

Out of interest, what springs did you have fitted and what is your weight, (if you don't mind me asking!)?
Old 03-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #50
makemdan

Not at all, my weight fully kitted out is 86kg springs are 90kg.

This was the first Real ride so I'm kind of confident I can get this sorted with some adjustments
Old 03-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #51
Luddite

Is that 0.90kg/mm? That's about 8.8N/mm and would be about right for a sporty ride. If it feels too firm after your adjustments, maybe consider 8.5N/mm or 8N/mm and/or lighter oil. (Do you know what oil you've got at the moment?)
Old 10-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #52
makemdan

Happy Days

Managed to get out for 100 mile jaunt today. I've adjusted rebound to 1.5 turns out from 1 and compression from 1 to 2 1/4 (17 clicks) - preload was about right, which amazingly has made an enormous difference. I have to admit that my confidence was shot the last time I was out but all back to normal now. Apart from 1 change down to neutral (rider error) the bike was absolutely faultless and corners are no longer fright inspiring. I was thinking of getting rid but not any more! Thanks go to Vince and Chris for help and advice

Now then, what's the weather forecast like for next week 😁
Old 10-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #53
Luddite

Really pleased that you've now got the suspension working to your liking, Ian. Your adjustments just go to show how effective the new damping valves are - with the stock units, you could go from fully in to fully out and barely detect any difference.