UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » electric gremlins on rebuilts m750

Old 03-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
electric gremlins on rebuilts m750

the bike Kat crashed is now a ready to start rolling chassis ,, still waiting the painted bits ,,

most of the lights work ok indicators ,tail, numberplate , brake lights , side light in headlamp, neutral light ,fuel sensor , instruments lights , and the horn work OK..

BUT NOT THE MAIN or DIP BEAM ,????

all fuses and connections tested ok and also the switchgear , buzzed out ok ?????

Then there is the ignition circuit all buzz out ok and relay and switches test ok but no power to the coils and igniters or starter motor ???? but power at the handlebar switch and oil light and pressure switch and other binnacle lights ???

Relays are testing OK the Datatool alarm circuits are ok and working ,,,

The side stand switch has never been connected and is removed from bike for last 17 years ,

The bike and all components was working when dismantled for the repair and rebuild refresh so im at a bit off a loss,, going through every circuit and testing each component on one of my other bikes .. methodical like

Last edited by jerry; 03-11-2019 at 07:55 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
jerry
Old Git

tested all the electrical components on other bike igniters coils, headlight relays etc etc .. all in good woking order ..

now i am baffled ,,,no main and dip in headlight circuit

and no starter or ignition

wondering if its the Datatag alarm but i seems to be functioning correctly on the remote ??but the red light LED mounted on the dash panel is not working going to test that next ?????
Old 06-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
jerry
Old Git

RED LED now working and Datatag alarm funtioning perfectly ,, all wiring loom circuits appear to chack out fine as do all electrial components

But still no starter motor or ignition or Main and dip beam ???/nothing makes sense ,,
Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
jerry
Old Git

im looking now at the 2000 year wiring diagrams to see what is common for the ignition / starter circuits and main 65/55 dip beam circuit , I think the problem is the same ..... when i put the headlamp on another bike it works ok ,,,

i solve dodgy electronic circuits for comms and offshore rov gear and they are more complex beasts so this is weirding me out
Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
jerry
Old Git

SOME PROGRESS ,, BUT NOT GOOD NEWS

temporily disabled the Datatool alarm using http://www.sonicsideshow.com/blog/-h...torcycle-alarm

works a treat except now when i press the starter button the 15amp headlight fuse blows ,, so ther must be a short between the headlight power for main and dip and the starting circuit ,,, headlight cables go from fuse to left handlebar lights switch then to the main key switch which also handles the starter circuits .. gotta be a short in either the handlebar switch or the main switch ?????
Old 08-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
jerry
Old Git

Im gonna take the whole loom off the bike and remove all the datatool wires ,, its faily clear where they go once its unwrapped ,and i have the datatool codes , i 90% sure now the short is in the left hand bar lighting switch but i want the loom nice and simple ,the datatool cables make it a horrible mess .

this means oa lot of dismantling of a 99% complete bike but hey ho got to be done .,
Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
On 3 second hand bikes I have owned I have had after market alarms, Bros 650, ZX9R and M900 Monster, without exception they are far more trouble than they are worth. The determined thief will come with two burly blokes and a van and the alarm does not stop them.

The alarm however can stop the bike at the most inconvenient moment, then work, then not work and so on until you fall out of love with the thing. Usually the problem is poor installation workmanship, half made connections or excessive wrapping of the loom with tape that causes it not to bend round the steering head, causing breaks in other wires. You are best shot of it IMO.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
jerry
Old Git

SOLVED all is now working as It should

The alarm is NOT GUILTY I may re-instate it ???
all the switch gear is ok

The fault was in the loom and one Superseal connector that had internal de-graded but not the datatool part of the loom

a minor thing that has given me a lot of hassle ,, but i am now intimate with the wiring and have learned a few things ,,

ONE BIG problem is that for this model year 1999 built bike I have 3 different wiring diagrams 2 from Ducati and one from Haines ,, all 3 have different layout and wiring colours also not all the same

weirdly the Haines diagram was most similar to mine

got to put it all back together still waiting on the paint work

Last edited by jerry; 08-11-2019 at 12:30 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
jerry
Old Git

put the alarm back together and it all works too,, I have the option to cut it out but its working fine ,, and I get £50 a year off my insurance having it