UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Monster Fever..!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
All the ST2s that I have encountered have been water cooled, Bob.

It is, I understand, derived from the Paso engine, which, if I am correct, was Ducatis first water cooled bike. (might well be wrong there..)

Cheers

Gazza
Well I'm buggered. I'd always assumed it was the 900Ss motor. Most humble apologies. In my defence it is a bike I never paid much attention to.

Unforgivable error though.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bob View Post
Well I'm buggered. I'd always assumed it was the 900Ss motor. Most humble apologies. In my defence it is a bike I never paid much attention to.

Unforgivable error though.
Totally forgivable as it happens dear boy.

I went and looked at an ST4 this morning, with a view to monsterizing it. But my spanners are safe for the moment.

The ST4 (Sports tourer, now there's a contradiction) is much the same as the ST2 but uses the 4 valve engine derived from the 916.
You couldn't get further from the Monster philosophy using the same frame..!!

A Monster is, in my opinon, an elegant, light, simple motorcycle, beautifuly executed and excelling in all it's functions.

The ST series is a little know side effect of Monster Fever and should be ignored..!

BTW. I wouldn't be too suprised to learn that there was a 900 engined version of the ST at one time.

Cheers

Gazza
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
No, no problems with starting in the cold and the fuel injection smooths out the engine at low revs, so none of that lumpiness when trundling along in city traffic. I have a performance ECU and air filter fitted along with carbon Remus cans. Totally sweet.
That is very good to hear, Cactus.

My carb Monster never suffered from cold start issues. The icing thing manifested when shutting off to near idling speeds or to tickover. It would wheeze and spit for a bit and somtimes stall.
The ice would usually clear from the heat of the stopped engine in time for an immediate re-start....At which point it is sensible to turn the tap and put the oil round the carbs.

Bizarrely this did not happen in freezing conditions, but as it says in the manual, in conditions of high relative humidity...And you could develop a feel for that, and pre-empt use of the warmer.

As for the lumpiness...Well most of my 40 odd bikes have been fairly unsophisticated singles or twins so I am used to a bit of lumpiness...and quite like it as it happens...But bring on the injectors

Cheers

Gazza
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote