UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Ducati Monster 900 rebuild

Old 15-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #16
brian900m

I'm enjoying your rebuild Buzzer. I have a 1994 black 900 just like yours. I've had the engine out so that my 'local' dealer could investigate an oil leak (turns out to have been via one of the replacement head studs) - also had the engine given a full service i.e. new belts etc. With the engine out I stripped the rest of the bike and had the frame repainted - the painter matching the original gold colour under one of the frame labels. Now in process of putting the bike together but unlike you I only have a cold damp draughty garage so work is slow.
Old 16-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #17
buzzer

Bike: M900
Thanks Brian! Before we moved here all I had was a cold damp single garage... i can remember the cold days in there!

Just preparing the frame and parts to take to the powder coaters... On the grab handle there were two small dents that I just know that if I left them they would bug me forever, so I TIG brazed them up and filed them down. there is something really satisfying about TIG brazing!

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Uber neat as usual. I've never seen TIG brazing done, but I have seen the strange heads for arc welders that supposedly let you braze.. They look more like a Jacob's ladder!

Looking forward to getting rid of the horrid little weld spatter spots from my frame one fine day.

I built a little Honda up under a polythene lean-to on a garden shed when I was teenager. It was replaced with a larger and nicer shed which I optimised for bikes, but the condition was that I had to share it with the garden tools and bicycles.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 16-11-2020 at 01:01 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
buzzer

Looks like the engine has never been worked on, apart from someone has removed the alternator cover and put it back on sith what could best be described as glue! normally they come off with a tap, but in this case I had to resort to a puller…

Question to you guys... the engine looks to be very good... zero bore wear... Is there anything I should be replacing while I am in there? did they have weak head studs at 1998?

Old 16-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #20
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Gear return springs are weak on later models but I haven’t heard of people complaing about ‘90s ones. Check sprag clutch and alternator nut.
Your ‘machine room’ isn’t helping my workshop envy! I was expecting to see a press of some sort, do you use your dies in the vice?

Gaza: bronze rod, less pedal.

Last edited by slob; 16-11-2020 at 12:36 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
The weaker cylinder studs are silver coloured while the stronger ones are black.
Dunno what year they changed ... but my yr2000 750 had the stronger ones as std.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #22
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
The weaker cylinder studs are silver coloured while the stronger ones are black.
Dunno what year they changed ... but my yr2000 750 had the stronger ones as std.
Thanks, they are black so should be OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Gear return springs are weak on later models but I haven’t heard of people complaing about ‘90s ones. Check sprag clutch and alternator nut.
Your ‘machine room’ isn’t helping my workshop envy! I was expecting to see a press of some sort, do you use your dies in the vice?

Gaza: bronze rod, less pedal.

yes, the dies work in the vice... I am lucky that I have a mate up the road with a press which I can use any time... Gear return spring is a good call...
Old 16-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #23
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Worth checking the alternator stator windings for continuity and the viability of the ignition triggers whilst the case is off. Since the starter motor is also nearly off clean the commutator and check the armature windings, careful with the power lead stud, if it turns then it can separate the stud from the brushes inside the casing of the starter motor.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #24
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Worth checking the alternator stator windings for continuity and the viability of the ignition triggers whilst the case is off. Since the starter motor is also nearly off clean the commutator and check the armature windings, careful with the power lead stud, if it turns then it can separate the stud from the brushes inside the casing of the starter motor.

Will do, thanks...

Can anyone point me to a parts list for a 1998 900? i need to order some parts, in particular some seals and also the paper gasket that goes between the crankcases...
Old 16-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #25
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
Will do, thanks...

Can anyone point me to a parts list for a 1998 900? i need to order some parts, in particular some seals and also the paper gasket that goes between the crankcases...
Stein Dinse you can look on there create a shortcut. I copied and pasted the diagrams too and printed out. They give part nos too. And a guide to what Ducati prices will be. They do supply genuine parts unless not available but also replacement versions.
No one uses paper gasket anymore just 3 bond.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #26
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Check out https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/i...?sid=ggg&lg=en

I’d use 3bond 1215 rather than paper gaskets
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-Bon...-/371382272148
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post

I have some three bond... my problem with using it is the gearbox and crank are shimmed to take account of a joint... I didn't want to disturb that... do you guys re shim?
Old 16-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #28
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
I have some three bond... my problem with using it is the gearbox and crank are shimmed to take account of a joint... I didn't want to disturb that... do you guys re shim?
I remember when Andy, (Andy's Motorcycle Obsessions), rebuilt his 900 engine, he used Threebond instead of the OE gasket and re-shimmed the crankshaft to suit. You may find his video of the process interesting.

I like his alternative measurement method at 24:00, which is a lot more straightforward than the book method.

By the way, I thought that by 1998, Ducati were assembling the motors with Threebond rather than gaskets, even between the crankcases. But, presumably you found an old-style paper gasket in yours?

If you didn't want to re-shim, there are pattern gaskets out there from the likes of Athena and, I believe Stein-Dinse offer one too.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #29
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
...he used Threebond instead of the OE gasket and re-shimmed the crankshaft to suit.
I suppose, to be accurate, I should have said "...shimmed to suit" rather than "..re-shimmed..." as it turned out his original shims were better matched to Threebond than to the OE gasket.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #30
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Desmowerx has some pretty good videos on building Ducati crankcases , his are mostly 748, ST2 but the principles are the same, the pre-load values between the main bearings may change between models
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote