UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Oil Level on Paddock Stand

Old 02-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #16
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I really think you guys are overthinking this a fair bit, oil pressure is more important I would think.

I mean anyone thinking of buying a Ducati and reading this is gonna think they need to measure out the oil from a calibrated volumetric container. As long as its above the min and not too far over the max line you should be good to go, as long as you have good pressure and warm up long enough for the oil to reach the top of the rear cylinder, which can take longer than you think it will. If the bike has been stood a long time then those cams are likely to be a bit dry.

Seriously, I mean who thought up those ludicrous oil syringes and priming systems that you pump before starting? That's enough to make you paranoid.

Rant over

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

[QUOTE=utopia;583146]Of course they do.
Anything that isn't dead flat and level sticks out like a sore thumb in Norfolk.

I'm glad someone got the joke anyway! What's up with everyone tonight?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
...........and not too far over the max line you should be good to go...........
Without overthinking it, I would definitely not venture into the territory above the max line.
The lines are there for a reason and there's a fair tolerance between them. It's not that hard to get it right with a little common sense. Ignore them at your peril.... And stop being topography-ist!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #19
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Without overthinking it, I would definitely not venture into the territory above the max line.
The lines are there for a reason and there's a fair tolerance between them. It's not that hard to get it right with a little common sense. Ignore them at your peril.... And stop being topography-ist!
‘Beacon Hill is the highest point in the English county of Norfolk. The hill is located 0.75 miles (1.2 km) south of the village of West Runton on the North Norfolk coast. At its summit the hill is 103 metres (338 ft) above sea level.’

Does that count as “Topography”?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you Darkness, have a house point.
I didn't know that, but I've heard various claims to the highest point over the years depending on who's you listen to.
Norfolk is very interesting topographically, smart arses like Oscar Wilde haven't helped historically. If you want flat, you need to see the Fens..
Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #21
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
That's a legacy of a Yacht and Boatbuilding apprenticeship and a career in Norfolk boatyards.
Although I have never had cause to use one, a declivity wedge is used with a spirit level to compensate for the slope if any work is done on a boat on a slipway.
"Declivity wedge" has a nice comic ring to it, so is often heard in various contexts on a boatyard, much like the Golden Rivet I suppose. Best not to ask to see the Golden Rivet if you don't know what it is! (They do exist though, I have fitted them.)
Declivity just means slope, or deviation from level.
Not to go off topic too much but I take it you've been watching the America's cup /Prada cup? how do those wagons compare to anything you've ever built!! Unbelievble nautical engineering
Old 03-02-2021, 06:42 AM   #22
iainw

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
‘Beacon Hill is the highest point in the English county of Norfolk. The hill is located 0.75 miles (1.2 km) south of the village of West Runton on the North Norfolk coast. At its summit the hill is 103 metres (338 ft) above sea level.’

It was a classified Cat 3 King of the Mountains climb on the 2010 Tour of Britain.
iainw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #23
the lodger

I keep one of those spray tops in the garage ( the kind you find under the sink with cleaning materials in them ) and then if I overfill with oil I just pop the straw end in the oil filler hole and using the trigger , spray oil into a suitable container until the level is correct. NB probably not a good idea to sneak it back under the sink if you nicked one that's still in use .
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #24
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post

I used to work with a guy who said he was in the East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team at university. Apparently training consisted of going on 'expeditions', roped together and 'climbing' horizontally from one pub to the next ;-)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #25
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
That reminds me ....
I used to go to the Trowbridge Village Pump Festival every year.
A group of blokes calling themselves the Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team used to put on a show out in the field.
I think they did the "climbing along flat ground " thing, with ropes and pitons and they also used to do synchronised swimming (on dry land).
With the aid of a large sheet of blue polythene (the water) with a number of cross slits in it and a helper holding up each corner, about a dozen hairy blokes in balloon-enhanced bikinis, nose clips and heavy boots would start off cavorting in sync, rising and falling gracefully through the slits in the polythene but would gradually deteriorate into mayhem and balloon popping .. to the tune of Swan Lake.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #26
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
That reminds me ....
A group of blokes calling themselves the Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team used to put on a show out in the field.
I think they did the "climbing along flat ground " thing, with ropes and pitons and they also used to do synchronised swimming (on dry land).
With the aid of a large sheet of blue polythene (the water) with a number of cross slits in it and a helper holding up each corner, about a dozen hairy blokes in balloon-enhanced bikinis, nose clips and heavy boots would start off cavorting in sync, rising and falling gracefully through the slits in the polythene but would gradually deteriorate into mayhem and balloon popping .. to the tune of Swan Lake.
Makes Morris dancing seem almost sensible...Almost!
Old 03-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I'm retired from the North Norfolk Mountain rescue team now, but sadly it was nowhere near as much fun as the other two mentioned sound.. I would love to have seen the synchronised swimming. My team was merely for the annual games that we had with the AJ&Matchless owners club against such as the Sahara desert canoe club.

I like the trigger spray/pump idea Lodger... Noted.

Those modern sailing machines owe more to aero-engineering than boatbuilding.. I've never had anything to do anything like that. I did some work on an "Ultra sports" luxury yacht that had oak veneered carbon fibre/foam sandwich panels instead of plywood.. Horrid to work with and I didn't even see the boat it was for! It might have been Bill Gate's yacht or one of his mates? I can't remember which one was his.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #28
hhmunro

[QUOTE=utopia;583171]That reminds me ....

ahhh, the Village Pump Festival, fond memories... Alan Briars set it up, I believe, ex Mechanical Horsetrough, with Kevin, (we call him Watney, because he has a flat head, and no taste...) and Peewee Hunt, ex of Peewees in Trowbridge, a venue much loved by all but the police... Great days they were...