UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Early M900 For Sale

Old 25-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Darkness

Bike: M900
Early M900 For Sale

I spotted this on eBay: is it from anyone on here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2632282387...&ul_noapp=true

Looks to be fairly original apart from the stated mod's.?

Says it's one of the first batch. I wonder if the seller means the yellow hooped '93 bikes, or the first shipment?
Old 28-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
ChrisD

Hi,

Yeah I just bought this, due to collect on Saturday and planning to put up some pics/details when i've got it back home. Was going to pick your brains for some info as I want to get it back to original, not a full resto, just make sure all the right bits are on there.

Newbie to the forum btw.

Cheers

Chris
Old 28-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Looks decent enough but puts the price of mine well up plus £3000 considering. I would have loved a start point bike like that and presuming it runs sweet for that money too.
From what I can see if your taking her back to stock other than you personally may keep modern brake lines whereas I chose OEM
Indicators be careful if you are after genuine. The ebay ones state as original when they are not unless they come in Ducati box look the same but cables are dual black and the orange lens clip is narrower than stock ones so not original mold
Indicator stems front missing I have 2 spare
Headlight brackets have been drilled not a big deal if drilled neatly
Wheels need to be black
Handlebars, mirrors and bar ends not genuine
Handlebar grips available genuine about £10 -15
Rear hoop definitely should be yellow 1993 ( I got mine redone 1003 ral yesterday in more keeping with my ohlins spring ) 1994 some were same gold as frame
Lucky you have both exhausts as I spent 2 years searching for mine damaged or not.
Look forward to see it as you want it.

Looks like the wheel paint coat not lasted anyhow to go to black
Missing wire loom to side stand not a big deal again.

Last edited by Albie; 28-09-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Hi,

Yeah I just bought this, due to collect on Saturday and planning to put up some pics/details when i've got it back home. Was going to pick your brains for some info as I want to get it back to original, not a full resto, just make sure all the right bits are on there.

Newbie to the forum btw.

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris and welcome to UKMOC.

You've got a good starting point for a classic m900 there with many of the specific early bits still in place.

As Albie notes, the indicators, mirrors, brake lines and handlebars have been changed, as well as some paint, but the 888 alloy swing arm and hugger, fuel filter and alternator cover to barrel oil lines are there, as is the right front mudguard with fragile fork mounts. Be gentle with those as they crack at the fixings: later they are thicker and later yet have bigger bolt spacing.

A rolling project of refinishing on engine cases, wheels etc. would be how I would go with it, but that's your choice for your monster.
Old 29-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
ChrisD

Thanks for the info guys, apparently it's fully running and riding with an MOT so it's definitely a good starting point as you say.

I asked the current owner to check the frame and engine numbers match the V5, which they do, and i believe its a proper 1993 UK bike.

Like i said, i'll just tidy it up and make original, won't be a full resto like Albie - Great blog btw, really useful!

Cheers...pics tomorrow hopefully.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Darkness

You've seen Albie's build blog.

Some of the other early bikes were discussed here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...Oldest+monster

Initially there was no "official" importer, so bikes were independently imported from Europe. That means early records are sparse. Mine was brought in by Moto Cinelli.

October registration probably puts yours into the first production run with the yellow rear suspension hoop. The '94 bikes production began towards the end of '93 after the bike show [Koln?], though initially the only change I've found is that the suspension hoop was painted bronze to match the frame rather than yellow.

Last edited by Darkness; 29-09-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Like i said, i'll just tidy it up and make original
In that case the only painting I'd do would be the wheels (black or frame colour) and suspension hoop (yellow or frame colour) unless, you need to touch up engine casings etc.

Otherwise looks like a nice bike.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Moto Cinelli were the official importers for a number of years in the early to mid '90's IIRC during the Cagiva era, but they didn't have a dealership to sell the bikes so they supplied them to any oufit who would want to sell them. Devimead in Tamworth were one cowboy outfit and Marcol in Nottingham were another I think. Neither really knew what they were doing so there were a lot of general fk ups and subsequent blow ups with servicing and setting valves clearances etc by people who didn't really know what they were doing with the engines.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

My 1993 900 was registered in August by Metropolis in London who imported it from Germany. As far as I can tell, it was built about May 1993 judging by most date codes on it. Absolutely no use trying to age it by chassis number though, they appear very random, I know of much lower numbers than mine that were built 6+months later!

Nice to see another early bike being resto'd

Ped
Old 29-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
In that case the only painting I'd do would be the wheels (black or frame colour) and suspension hoop (yellow or frame colour) unless, you need to touch up engine casings etc.

Otherwise looks like a nice bike.
For a 93 bike wheels should be black and the hoop yellow, def not frame colour

I'm sure folks remember the zero mile monster that went through eBay last year, well I "pinched" the pictures for future reference, if anyone wants copies pm me

Last edited by Pedro; 29-09-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

I'm sure folks remember the zero mile monster that went through eBay last year, well I "pinched" the pictures for future reference, if anyone wants copies pm me
I have those photos and use them too for reference.. That bike is back up for sale at more money now at a princely £15,995 of your pounds. Oh and it has 5 miles on it although it states never been ridden and battery never connected. They must have wheeled it around a lot over the 25 years or so.
Old 29-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, apparently it's fully running and riding with an MOT so it's definitely a good starting point as you say.

I asked the current owner to check the frame and engine numbers match the V5, which they do, and i believe its a proper 1993 UK bike.

Like i said, i'll just tidy it up and make original, won't be a full resto like Albie - Great blog btw, really useful!

Cheers...pics tomorrow hopefully.
Many thanks I hope it helps in some respect anyone who needs details of components and I still struggle with stuff but guys on UKMOC help and also the Stein Dinse webpage you can search part numbers and pictures which really help. My blog may have got a bit confusing because in all honesty this bike started off a rush and then slowed and steps were taken backwards because I realised some things were not right and needed addressing.
Just get it ride it and look into what you need to do regards what is wrong does stuff work and could it be tidied up quick or a job for later.
I just did the same with the Cucciolo I just purchased last week. I am not restoring it I am giving it roadworthiness and keeping it real and keeping the old parts.

Look forward to pics and stuff.
Old 29-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
You've seen Albie's build blog.

Some of the other early bikes were discussed here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...Oldest+monster

Initially there was no "official" importer, so bikes were independently imported from Europe. That means early records are sparse. Mine was brought in by Moto Cinelli.

October registration probably puts yours into the first production run with the yellow rear suspension hoop. The '94 bikes production began towards the end of '93 after the bike show [Koln?], though initially the only change I've found is that the suspension hoop was painted bronze to match the frame rather than yellow.
I believe mine may have had the bronze hoop originally but I am yellow now as I like the yellow better. I almost bought a spare the other day but resisted.
Old 29-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
That's the way I'd be doing it (I did mine that way, although it also has a black frame).

Can't say I'm keen on red hoop and especially the red wheels.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote