UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Racing » Desmodue Report from Outlon Park Sat 8th July

Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #16
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
Incidently, if anyone on here is seriously considering giving Desmodue a go next year, many of us have indicated support for an "adopt a racer" scheme, which basically means you attach yourself to a rider or team for a meeting or two and experience the whole thing - get there the night before, camp over in the paddock, help prep the bike, attend scrutineering and signing on, lend a hand in general bike prep / fueling etc, collect timing sheets, help with paddock stands, just generally muck in and see it all from the racer's perspective rather than as a spectator, and find out just exactly what is involved. It'll cost you nothing at all, apart from perhaps a tenner to get in if there isn't a spare ticket available (and there often is) and you'll gain a much better understanding of what is involved, and get to meet many of the competitors. If this sounds like you, let me know and I'll pass it on to the club so you can be paired up with whoever is short of help. Our remaining rounds are Donnington in August, Snetterton in September, and Cadwell Park in early October. We're all very keen to get numbers up on the grid, and you'll find a lot of support of every kind to help you on your way!
This sounds like a great idea. I would definitely be interested. I don't know how to strip an engine or replace a clutch, but I can tension a chain, check tyres pressures etc. I see you may be losing your team. Could I help you? We live quite close to each other too which may help.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #17
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack
Go on Gilps - you know you want to! You've already got the leathers, helmet, boots and gloves (and a trailer).
Now all you need is the licence and the bike.
I am so serioulsy tempted after the trackday. I like this idea of helping out to get the feel for it so may well give that a try first. What about you Anne, can't you be tempted?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps
This sounds like a great idea. I would definitely be interested. I don't know how to strip an engine or replace a clutch, but I can tension a chain, check tyres pressures etc. I see you may be losing your team. Could I help you? We live quite close to each other too which may help.
Stripping of engines is not a required skill, it is pretty much the chain and tyre pressure sort of level!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
Zimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
Some really great pics there Muttley, as always, and we love pics of ourselves doing our stuff, as you know!!! Only one of me this time, good one though, nicely panned sir!!!

http://www.mutters.f2s.com/oulton06/...ton06-063.html
Old 10-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps
I am so serioulsy tempted after the trackday. I like this idea of helping out to get the feel for it so may well give that a try first. What about you Anne, can't you be tempted?

Ha Ha Ha

I don't think so Paul - As I was probably the slowest on the track I think you could say racing is not my forte.
I wouldn't mind helping, but I even had to ask Slob to help me pump up my tyres I would be a distinct disadvantage in the garage.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #21
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
nicely panned sir!!!
Ha ha, i think i nearly took Crusty out with my lens taking that one Zimbo .... You'll have to slow down a bit!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #22
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack
Ha Ha Ha

I don't think so Paul - As I was probably the slowest on the track I think you could say racing is not my forte.
I wouldn't mind helping, but I even had to ask Slob to help me pump up my tyres I would be a distinct disadvantage in the garage.
You've gotta start somewhere Anne.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #23
Stuart42
Gold Member

Bike: M750
Great write up Zimbo.

Must admit the more I see of this DD racing the more I'm interested,am keeping a close eye on the 'Cheap Project 600' thread in case more than one comes up for sale.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #24
Tonio600
Monster mon amour

Bike: M900
good write up Zimbo, you really did scare me my friend
96' M900 | 98' ST2 | 99' M600 DD #8
Tonio600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #25
Zimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
good write up Zimbo, you really did scare me my friend
You still finished ahead of me - this time

Can't wait for Donington. Picked up the new race monster yesterday from Psychlist, so will be on Monica for the rest of the season. See you there!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #26
Zimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart42
Great write up Zimbo.

Must admit the more I see of this DD racing the more I'm interested,am keeping a close eye on the 'Cheap Project 600' thread in case more than one comes up for sale.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers
Stuart
Come and have a go then!!!
I suspect there may be one or two DD bikes up for sale at the end of the season, might be worth considering as they're likely to have high level cans and rearsets already fitted, and fueling etc sorted out, you'll just need to service it, new set of tyres, and ride it! Keep an eye on the DSC site desmodue section.
Failing that, rearsets cans bellypan and perhaps clipons is all you need to convert a standard road monster to a DD race bike, no need to bother with suspension upgrades etc. It's not expensive to get a reasonably competitive bike together.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #27
benson

Brilliant write up Zimbo and bloomin good riding too - really well done! One weekend I'd love to come and help - I do a mean cuppa and have a big voice for shouting encouragement!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #28
Zimbo

Well come up then! As above, the most it'll cost is a tenner to get in the gate!

Seriously (again) if anyone is thinking about having a go next year, come and see us in the paddock at at least one of the three remaining rounds, meet a few of us racing this year, chat to a few of us and get an idea of how it all works, you'll get a lot of good advice about getting started and on how to get the best value for your money. There's several that have got on the grid for less than two grand in total, including buying the bike and converting it to race spec, they'd be happy to advise you on how to do the same. If you already own a 600 or 620 monster or SS the costs are slashed to hundreds rather than thousands, and if you happen to own one that has high level cans and rearsets already, it'll cost you next to nothing!!!! Anyone looking to join the series will find the entire paddock very supportive and enthusiastic, we all want to get more riders in the series and you'll be made very welcome!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #29
benson

You might just find me at one of the three reamining rounds then - I'm back from hols early August and think it might be a great weekend out!!! Anyone else want to come along??? Mand - you could bring the rain??? I could bring the cake!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #30
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson
You might just find me at one of the three reamining rounds then - I'm back from hols early August and think it might be a great weekend out!!! Anyone else want to come along??? Mand - you could bring the rain??? I could bring the cake!!!!!
Gimme a shout Rachel, I always ride up the night before and have a couple of beers.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote