UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Help Required Manchester Area

Old 21-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Carleton1412

Unhappy Help Required Manchester Area

Hi,
Help
Who is the best in the Manchester area to sort M600 carburetor problems ?
Old 21-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
garry

wish i could help pal, but sadly no.

have had any dealings with monton motorcycles ?
Old 21-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Carleton1412

I have only recently moved to Manchester, and not heard of them but I will check them out.
According to the book it's running lean, but both adjusting screws appear to be jammed and won't move and I don't want to force them. So I am looking for a reliable company or person to sort them out.
Thanks for your info.
Old 22-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I've heard only good things about Ducati Manchester from a couple of members that way, Buzzbomb and Louscannon

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Carleton1412

Hi J.P.
Many thanks for your reply, advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Carleton1412; 24-06-2015 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 22-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yeah I've only really used the lads at Ducati Manchester for years now. Ducati John over Leeds way looked after my S4Rs for major issues but that was a bit of a trek for anything small. Otherwise Ducati Manchester for all my other bikes.

Downside is they have to charge standard dealer rates so may not be the cheapest around, but you get what you pay for...
Old 22-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Carleton1412

Hi LouSCannon.
Many thanks for your reply.
It looks like Ducati Manchester is the place to go.
This is my missus bike and want it right, its her third Duc, the first two being Monza Juniors.
Shes been hankering after another Ducati for years. Just bought this M600 a week ago & it seams to have carb issues.
My last Duc was an 860 GTES ( wish I still had it sob sob ) mind you shows my age :-)
Thanks again.
Old 22-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Has it been stood a while. I have heard a few folk recommending some kind of lawnmower fuel additive which apparently stops gumming up. Maybe too late for it with that but possibly carbs just need cleaning ultrasonically.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Carleton1412

Hi Albie,
Not sure if has been standing for ages. It was MOT'ed in May with no advisories on the MOT.
The bike has only ever done about 2000 miles per year for most of its life, ( with 24000 on its clock now) we have only had the bike for 2 weeks now.
It starts & warms up with out too much trouble, then the tick over steadies out at 3000 rpm.
Checking the manuals & internet the consensus of opinion is that the air mixture is out & its running to lean. The standard setting is advised as three full turns out. On checking ( it is obvious as the screws are clean & shinny that the previous owner has had a go ) both screws appear to be locked up tight, and I dont want to force the screws & risk damage.
The bike has a K & N Air Filter with most of the top of the filter box cover removed, the exhausts cans are Viper. They dont appear to be just fitted, as we have the receipts. Not sure If it has been re jetted to suit.
Someone at work suggested using Redex. I have used redex before on other bikes with a degree of success. So I am tempted to try for a tankful & see what happens.
Failing that, I think the bike will go in to Ducati Manchester.
Any further help will be gratefully received.
Thanks Very Much
Old 22-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
DrD

You could try a carb rebuild and use a carb cleaner ( eg http://www.frost.co.uk/frost-carbure...r-aerosol.html ) once all the jets etc are out - it may clean the interior out without the need for a ultrasonic bath.
You can pull the tickover down independent of the mixture screws - but they really need freeing up and setting.
Old 22-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Carleton1412

Hi DrD,
Many thanks, up dates to follow.
Thanks to all.
Old 22-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Flip

Bike: M900
If it's got a cut open air box and running race cans without it begin jetted to suit it will almost certainly be running too lean but that is only half the story as the likes of Dyno-jet kits don't actually change the pilot circuit and so you need a slightly more in-depth understanding of the different circuits (apologies if you already know this).

But Basically it is a bit like this:

So what this means is for a lot of the time most road bikes run on the pilot/needle circuits, rarely getting to run solely on the main jet. i.e: a wide open throttle.

The other thing with carb tuning is that everything else such as valve clearances need to be right before you get a true reading.

If it was me, I think I would try and get the screws to move myself first- make sure the screw driver is a really good fit and then give the carbs a good squirt in situ with some cleaner and see what it's like when it starts. Then bring the idle down if it needs it and give it a run and an old fashioned 'plug chop' before digging a little deeper on the jetting.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
Carleton1412

Hi Flip,
Many thanks for your reply,
The valve clearance was last checked in August 2014 ( I have the receipt )
So it looks like it's the Pilot/Needle curcuits for sure.
I gave the screws a good soaking last week end, so will have another try next weekend.
Unfortunately, the previous owner has also had a go and slightly damaged the screw ends, almost certainly down to a ill fitting screwdriver.
I will post my results.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Carleton1412; 24-06-2015 at 05:33 AM..
Old 23-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #14
Spanner

It could be worth trying to balance the carbs too. My old M600 used to need it's carbs balancing all the time. It's surprising what a difference it makes.

I dare say a blob of gungy old petrol has lodged itself somewhere.

You probably don't need to go to a main dealer to get the problem sorted. You just need to find a proper old bike workshop and they are bound to be able to strip and rebuild the carbs to get your bike running properly.
Old 22-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Wildfire

Interesting Diagram Flip. That has helped my understanding! I thought the standard M600 pilot jet was 40 and the DJ2 42.5?