UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project Single sider has begun

Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Project Single sider has begun

Well I have done it and this afternoon the spanners come out for a mod thats purely cosmetic but also more functional for cleaning and one less paddock stand.
Popped down to AK's to pick up the s2r swinger after dropping Gully off to pick his new bike up. So after a brief discussion with Alan amongst I think five monsters in the garage I decided it was a goer and promptly snapped up the said item.
Im trying to keep the standard footrest as they incorperate the pillion as thats vital for Caroline.
My only problem ( problem as in needs modding ) will be the exhaust. It will need cutting remaking whatever but thats viable in any build.

I would like to keep the side x side termis but am considering a s4r setup if I can get a decent system for the price of selling the Titanium Hi level Termignonis.
I have borrowed a single side wheel of Alan until I can pick up a 5 spoke marchesini
I will keep you informed of build with pics

Last edited by Albie; 08-06-2009 at 06:51 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Good work that man.

Just a quick thought - the S2R/S4Rs have different footrests to support the out end of the swingarm spindle. Are you going to add some support?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Ped they dont support it mate, they do anything at all as they are rubber mounted and only bolt down to the engine, I cant see that they give any support at all.
I thought the same at first but when you look at it, they are not doing anything.

AK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Ah well spotted. I looked at that on gullys and wondered that. I spoke about that with AK but you can use standard shaft and standard hangers. If I was solo I may have used newer ones but as I pillion 99.9% I'm sticking with the old but probs going to powder coat or polish. AK said if I needed them no probs as he dont like them. Would need to weld pillion lugs onto frame.
Well gone as far as I can today as my garage light not that great until Critcher brings me the lamps he promised me. but has been a successful day.
Termis off
Brakes off
Hangers off
Hugger off possibly to be sold at a later date. Red painted carbon fibre
My biggest problem so far is the exhaust manifold nuts. I need to go a buy a brand new socket as mines not the best. If not I guess the dremel is wanted.
Any advice taken please.
My next hurdle is to raise the bike up at rear end. This may involve suspending from roof joists with trolley jack under engine ?

Keep you posted
Albie

Last edited by Albie; 08-06-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
My next hurdle is to raise the bike up at rear end. This may involve suspending from roof joists with trolley jack under engine ?

Keep you posted
Albie
Ah that's easy, turn over the foot pegs so they work in reverse and use a pair of axle stands.
See pic.
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=DSC01953.jpg

and

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...=Axlestand.jpg

Good luck if was keeping the S4 I think I'd be doing the same.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.

Last edited by Stafford; 12-01-2008 at 05:29 PM..
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Excellent idea. Looks like I need to bolt them back on. Saves the worry of whether the new garage roof joist willl hold estimated 2 tonnes.

Ps when we come down to Bath this year we will give you a buzz for a drink. Got auntie in bath eastern who wants us to come down for weekend.

PPs do please get rid of your avatar it makes me stare too much and carolines looking at me strangely.

PPPs no dont

Last edited by Albie; 12-01-2008 at 05:59 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
dlloyduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford View Post
Ah that's easy, turn over the foot pegs so they work in reverse and use a pair of axle stands.
See pic.
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=DSC01953.jpg

and

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...=Axlestand.jpg

Good luck if was keeping the S4 I think I'd be doing the same.
No need to put them back on use a couple of longer M10 bolts or studs and nuts screw them on hand tight and lock up the nut then lift onto axle stands. Easier to work on with the pegs out of the way.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Good advice boys. Thanks everso. Somehow simplicity seems easy.

Any ideas on exhaust nuts
Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Scotty

some release oil before you even think about it

errm its fiddly think I use sockets for some and ring spanner for other's

a long reach attachment makes some of them easier

if you could remove swing arm tie rod first that would also make it easier (but then proberly more difficult to remove rest of exhaust if engine is up on bricks)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Scotty

swing arm removal is great = gratuitous use of hammer
Old 13-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Day 2 and I must get the swingarm out as AK needs it asap for his thundersports bike. That really is my only plan for today as such.
So its off to Argos to buy a couple of axle stands and then I will refit hangers and rotate footrests so I can remove swingarm.
Time to start then.
Old 13-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
scrapps

Good luck with the project mate.. lets hope it goes well and we will see you out on it soon
Old 13-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Disaster

Well today has gone from ok to why is it I have the bad luck. Got the bike up on axle stands ok. Right remove exhaust. Rear nuts came undone perfect due to lack of road dirt on rear cylinder. Front ones well the first one snapped. Great not ! Second one again ok phew !.The third one again snapped despite vast quantitys of penetration oil last nite and today.
Well any advice I guess drill out and replace.

Well next step remove exhaust but had to angle grind rear cylinder link pipe clamp where it joins the other. Well thats removed the exhaust.

Remove rear wheel. OK

Removed chain guides. Top one very worn.

Disconnect top of height adjuster rod OK

Disconnect top of rear shock OK

Remove bolts from each end of the pivot point of swingarm. OK

Remove the two circlips from each end of the pivot rod OK

Try and drift the pivot rod out. Not a sausage moving.

Ok lets put some studding through and nuts and sockets and pull the bugger out. Worked a bit. Moved about 1/4". Tried hitting socket whilst doing so but only damaged my thumb.

Starting to regret this as will be dissapointed got so far. Im even thinking about stripping all down for a respray frame but still need swinger off.

Advice welcome. Not sure if tight in bearing or swing arm ends.

Old 13-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Shandy

Interesting and challenging project mate, nice to see another project on the site........make sure you stick a load of pictures up of the progress

There's allways the odd thing that sticks or breaks, its all part of the fun......

My advice on the stuck axel do da is use a good penetrating oil like Plus Gas, give it some good soak time too, then heat the block up a bit to expand it, then hit the hell out of it with a very big hammer.......or have a look at the DSC site this was covered on there a while back in some detail.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Shandy
Old 13-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Hi mate. Yes interesting hmmm. Just been over the other site and posted there. Read a thread from Bradders but slightly different as 996. One ended shaft. Mine goes both ways..

Try again tomorrow nite with bigger studding and nuts and worst case scenario need a brass drift with a shoulder machined to fit in bore and bigger hammer.

I so want this to work as have sourced a wheel and temp exhausts until funding for complete system.