UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New biker, new Monster

Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
WhisperingWasp

Bike: M620sie
New biker, new Monster

Hello everyone.

Having passed my DAS in April and deciding that a small Monster would (hopefully) be an ideal first bike I put a deposit down on Monster 620sie this weekend

Really looking forward to picking it up in the next 10 days or so. Having only ever ridden an inline-4 Jap bike (ie what I did my training on) I'm keen to experience a nice throaty v-twin!

I was pointed this way Chris from the MV OC and will keep you updated on my experiences and impressions. I'd also like to use you guys for all sorts of useful info if that's ok?

Initially I don't want to do anything to the bike other than a set of new mirrors and replace a few screws/bolts/bungs to tidy it up a little. In fact this leads me to my very first question if I may...

I noticed that a few screws were a little rusty/mismatched and this upsets me . There was also a plastic "bung" missing on one side of the tail section and one part of the frame. For replacement things like these is there a particular go-to place or will any DIY shop do?

Thanks in advance and look forward to reading this site.

Dan
WhisperingWasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Welcome Dan. Good bike to start on, Bolts not a problem even via a dealer not uber expensive but depends if you would want to replace with a set of good aftermarket ones. Bungs too ask a dealer or show people the exact are as a guide to the area we can judge what size etc.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
SteveK

Congratulations on passing your test - and more congratulations on your new bike 😁. You'll have a whale of a time on that - way nicer than any JI4👌

My preference is to always get Ducati parts if at all poss - get to know your local dealership they can be a wonderful resource.

Have fun!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
WhisperingWasp

Cheers guys.

Yeah I'd prefer to use OEM parts wherever possible. When I pick the bike up I'll ask then about those bits n pieces.

I'll post some photos up when I get it
Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
Bonzo

Welcome Dan
Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
squarehead

Hello and welcome Dan, congratulations on passing your test.

Quote:
Initially I don't want to do anything to the bike other than a set of new mirrors and replace a few screws/bolts/bungs to tidy it up a little.
We all say that initially, then your get to know you bike and start reading threads on here and it just kind of starts...

Fortunately there is a wealth of friendly experience to draw on

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the Club and Monster ownership.
Also congrats on passing your DAS.

v-twin's do take some getting used to becasue of their lumpiness but once you get used to it and the sound and the torque, you'll love it and hopefully stay with the Monster's in the future. The newer the Monster, the more refined they've become.
If you need any advice or tips, search the forum or ask the forum.

Enjoy the bike.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
great choice for a first bike. Mine was an older M600 and I've had monsters in one form or another ever since.

Give it time, and ride the torque rather than rev the nuts of it is my advice. It's a different ride to an inline 4 but more fun IMO.

Enjoy the bike
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Wildfire

I am in the process of changing over my bolts to Stainless Steel, slowly. I've bought a kit from eBay and also a few boxes of Assorted Stainless Bolts which are slowly making their way on to the Monster. The Monster tends to use standard bolts as opposed to anything special so if you have a caliper or gauge you can easily get stainless replacements. Just make sure they aren't any load bearing or particular tensile strength bolts.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
[QUOTE=steeevvvooo;508277]...... and ride the torque rather than rev the nuts off it.
[QUOTE]

....is the perfect advice.
Though having said that, they will rev quite high for a twin.

Welcome along.
And congrats on the test.

If you're replacing bolts (and starting out on a new biking career) I'd recommend getting a small tin of black molybdenum disulphide grease.
Its fairly expensive stuff but will last forever and is the best stuff to use on threads in my opinion (beats copperslip), as well as being called for by Ducati for certain high stress, high torque threads anyway.
And as always, its worth mentioning that the timing belts need changing every two years, so change yours unless you know they're fairly new.

Judging from your forum name....yellow one, is it ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
WhisperingWasp

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

There is a story behind the name but it neither relates to the bike nor is it very interesting!

The bike is actually a navy-ish blue with white stripe. I'm sure it has some sort of exotic name that someone can inform me of...?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperingWasp View Post
The bike is actually a navy-ish blue with white stripe. I'm sure it has some sort of exotic name that someone can inform me of...?
Blue

Hello and welcome

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
urbanfireblade

Congratulations on buying the 620, you'll really enjoy it. I have the carb'd 600 and yes you ride them on the torque at the bottom end, they sound real fruity too, a world apart from Jap bikes. My VFR although a great bike is just dull in comparison to the riding experience of a Monster. And the smaller 600/620's can still happily sit at 80 when needed. Belts are easy to change, about a 20min job for me on the 600, i wish all bikes had them lol, ultra reliable, the 2yr rule imo is very premature but for how easy it is to do them i guess it's good practise to change them. Get some pics up when u can, always enjoy seeing another Monster!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
WhisperingWasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Blue

Hello and welcome
Them Italians eh
Old 12-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
DirtyDodger293

Welcome….

I've learn't in a very short space of time how amazing Ducati's sound… Once your bitten there's no going back!