UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi from Wales...

Old 27-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
ocatoro

Hi from Wales...

Hi there, new to the site...

in the process of selling my bike and looking at replacements

all the more sensible options keep coming up, but the monster keeps calling out

it was the bike that got me interested in bikes in the first place years ago, and I'm Italian, so not ever having had a Ducati is a smite on my existence haha

there are a few which seem to fit the cost/newness/afterthought of economy profile I'm after, which looks like the 620, 695, and the s2r 800. (any of the other classic style models I should consider?)

Bike is for occasional commuting, leisure, and touring.

I'll be dropping some power from just over 100... has anyone else made a similar move and been frustrated by the loss?

as I mentioned I like doing a bit of touring, Switzerland/Italy/Alps. what's the monster like for touring on? alright over long distance? comfort and reliability-wise...

anyone else around south wales willing to show me around their monster to get a view of a good one before I start shopping?
Old 27-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hi, and welcome along.
It was Wales that got me interested in Ducati v-twins in the first place.
... Dragon Rally, 1974.

Shame its not last year, or the year before, as then our weekender event was in mid wales and you could have bimbled over and perused.
Its next weekend in fact, but this year its in the southeast midlands.

You will find that the torque spread of the monster will compensate quite well for a lower bhp.
Don't overlook the 750 ... I love mine and have done for 10yrs or more without (quite) feeling the need for more power .... 63bhp.
Similarly the 800ie, without the single sided swingarm of the S2R is worth looking at, though they aren't so common.

For me, the starting choices, if you're looking at original style monsters, are ...
Single or double sided swingarm ? .. its a personal thing but for me, the double sider is more sensible engineering and easier maintenance.
Electronic injection or carbs ? .. for me its carbs because I can deal with any faults myself without special test kit or the potential for costly replacement hardware. BUT, in the winter (read also late autumn and early spring in the right conditions) monster carbs will ice up and misperform unless you dose the fuel to prevent it. Plans for winter use might affect your choice, but for most it isn't a huge problem. Injection avoids it completely.
750s, incidentally, are available in either format, the changeover being around 2001.

There is also the Ducati, dry clutch rattle thing.
For some, its an essential Ducati sound, but you'd need at least a 900.
On the other hand, the wet clutches on the smaller monsters are longer lasting and less trouble .. unless you use the wrong oil.

Finally, there's the plastic tank issue.
They swell a little due to the water contained in the ethanol content of fuel these days.
In a bad case the seat wont fit and the tank rests badly on the frame on its front mounting rubbers.
They will recover somewhat if dried out.
A good steel tank is a better option in my opinion, but if badly treated, some leak at the rear, hinge mounting.
I think possibly 695s and S2rs have the plastic tanks, but don't take that as fact.

That's about it, for a start.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
ocatoro

thanks for the info

to be honest I'd prefer wet clutch and injection.

swing arm the double sided is preferred as a mate has an aprilia futura which has a £600 wheel bearing on the single sided arm if I remember rightly... but daft as I may be, won't rule out a single if the bike was nicer condition.

will take a look at 750s as well...

plastic tanks are same on the aprilias too... so I've had some 2nd hand experience of those too. it is what it is I guess on that front.

---
any input on their reliability and performance over long european touring distances?

also with the very regular valve checks... are they often out? people gave me nightmares about my kawasaki and it's valve clearances, and even at 44k miles, they've never been out of spec in my ownership... are people giving me nightmares about ducati valves needlessly as well? or are they more prone to going out?

Last edited by ocatoro; 28-04-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Old 28-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Monster touring

I've used my 2010 696 for 3 tours to Europe for World Ducati Week.

Apart for needing fresh tyres in the South of France on my 2012 trip (my fault - should have done it before the trip), and a headlight bulb replacing, the only proper mechanical gremlin was the alternator dying on my 2014 trip when the bike's total mileage was around 30,000. That led to an extra night in Mulhouse waiting for the Ducati dealer there to obtain a part, and serendipitous discovery of some interesting museums and a good lunch (although did miss out on fun in the Swiss Alps due to the need to make up for lost time by having to replace an Alpine pass circuit with a motorway thrash).

Currently weighing up whether to take that 696 on my 2018 WDW trip (total mileage just under 70,000 miles, so well over 100,000 km), or whether to take the not-even-run-in-ultra-low-mileage 2013 696 that I put a deposit down on today! Suspect I'll take the latter, to repeat the ritual of taking it back to its Italian birthplace, as I did with my first one.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
ocatoro

696 is a jump forward in tech and build and reliability though, isn't it? Or am I mistaken?
Old 29-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocatoro View Post
696 is a jump forward in tech and build and reliability though, isn't it? Or am I mistaken?
Had my 696+ ABS over 2 years now. Not ridden it in anger for six months, just the occasional warm-up in the garage. Always fires up instantly, not even had battery on charge! Having gone through gummed up carbs etc on my SV, I’d stick with injection now. How many of us would choose a car with carbs these days I wonder?
Old 29-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

There is a lot of myth about Ducatis needing frequent, complex and expensive servicing.
In fact, the engines are pretty bullet proof.
There is the need to change cambelts every couple of years but that is a dead simple job and is well within the capabilities of any home mechanic.
Valve clearance checks are needed less frequently, but that too is not a complicated diy job.
Actual adjustment of the valve clearances is a tad more tricky but this is seldom required .. I've adjusted two valves only, in 25,000 miles.
There are excellent video guides on all this by Ducatitech / Chris Kelly .. see links below.
Also, the aircooled, 2-valve, original style monsters are a delight to work on for the home mechanic.
With just a turn of the key and the flip of a latch, the seat is off, the tank is raised and you are straight into the heart of the beast.
My own 750 has never seen a dealers workshop in its 25k milkes, apart from its initial service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj3nSJGPZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQY1MRlmH4
Old 29-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
ocatoro

Sweet. I guess i just need to get on one now and make sure it fits me nicely. Just taken a deposit on my bike today so hopefully next weekend I could be ready to buy
Old 29-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Another thing you may want to consider is that one or two models use a different type of front brake caliper.
I believe these are the single-acting type, with fixed pads on one side and a "floating" caliper.
They probably work fine, I have no experience myself, but the more usual, "Goldline" calipers are an intrinsically better design, and are possibly lighter too.
If memory serves, the 695 was one of those thus equipped/afflicted.
Possibly the S2R also, but I'm not sure.
Old 29-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
ocatoro

coming from a zzr which was renowned for having underpowered brakes that like to corrode and turn to cheese, fitted to a much heavier bike, I think most brake setups should outperform what I've been used to.

having taken deposit on the kawasaki, the ebay/everywhere trawling has begun in earnest, god help me

still on the lookout for anyone with a 620/695/etc in south wales/south west england for me to have a look at a good one before I go blindly looking, if anyone around and willing

Last edited by ocatoro; 29-04-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Old 30-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Bigxr

I'm in Caerphilly, and my super fantastic S2R 800 may soon be up for sale......
Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #12
ocatoro

Would you mind me coming for a "mooch"... While you're deciding?
Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
ocatoro

So today I did manage to wangle a test ride on a fairly tatty 620ie (what does the e stand for btw)

As the slowest of the bikes I was considering I thought it prudent to give it a go if I had the chance.

As it goes, i was hugely and pleasantly surprised at how well it went. I wouldn't believe they are "only" 63 hp if I rode it blind without knowing the figures.

So that pretty much opens up the 620 and any of its slightly bigger siblings for when the Kawasaki is collected this week

Chuffed
Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
IE is iniezione elettronica (electronic ignition), they don't mention the fuel injection.
The S2R is a nice step up from the 620, I've got one and it's a nice ride. It's also got the classic thin tube frame, the stacked pipes and single sided swining arm give i a more modern edge. People do say the front calipers are a bit 'weak' which I've not really noticed but you can upgrade them if you want to (they aren't as aggressive as my 748's but then the 800 has infinitely lazier feel to it).
Don't sweat the maximum BHP, it's the torque you should look at ... A typical inline 4 has lots of power in BHP but much less torque, riding the monsters wide flat power curve is much more fun.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
Bigxr

Check your private messages in "user cp" found at the top of the page.