UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » M900 dash, help

Old 02-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
Moco1961

M900 dash, help

.....I am posting for a friend...honest! So this carbon dash came within a box of bits as part of a M900 purchase.basically the addition of a rev counter.anyone any clue regarding the pick up wire.over to you Paul

[IMG]77CBF0F1-C802-4EA8-97F0-CB7E5699EBB2 by Mike OConnor, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]645F8853-660E-4294-992C-D192539A2501 by Mike OConnor, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
fireman sam

Bike: S2r
I need to know the location pick up of the blue wire please
fireman sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Darkness

Bike: M900
May be the same as these?

‘The harness is setted-up with male-female plugs to be connected in parallel to one of the two ignition control units placed under the tank’

https://www.aviacompositi-shop.it/en...-red-leds.html
Old 02-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I used to have one of these units.
From my notes, the red, green and blue wires connect to the red, brown/green and blue wires respectively at the plug which connects to the left side CDI unit (often called "igniter box").
So blue goes to blue.
The other (yellow) wire is fed from the speedo light positive feed.
I dunno whether you can connect to either left or right CDI unit, but my instructions (from previous owner) were to use the left, so that's what I did.
If memory serves, I think it is possible to get a piggyback connector for this job, which makes things tidier. Flip may have more info on this.

Right then, now the downside ....
I don't like these units at all.
My main gripe is that the revcounter module is massively heavy and, despite being carbon fibre, the mounting dash is poorly designed and weak.
This means that there is a high degree of bounce in the fitted assembly.
This in turn stresses the speedo unit which is now essentially supported by the cable rather than the dash.
The upshot of this is that (in my case at least) the internal anti-vibration mountings fracture.
The nature of these anti-vibration mountings is that the two mounting bolts for the speedo are in fact constructed from two halves which are bonded together with a rubber element between them, and the mounts fail at these points.
Sorry, I used to have pics but lost them with the demise of photobucket.

On top of all this, the unit in your pic looks to have some damage around the righthand mounting which will further weaken it.

Another downside of these units is that the readout is (in my personal experience) rather erratic and as such is not of much practical use.
Added to that, I don't think a revcounter is really necessary on the 2-valve motors anyway. The only reason I wanted one on my bike was to avoid searching for an extra gear that wasn't there. I've since abandoned that line of thought.

Genuinely, my personal advice would be not to bother fitting the unit at all.
Having said that though, I believe Flip likes his, and he's a pretty sensible chap.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I believe Flip likes his, and he's a pretty sensible chap.
Okay firstly, we’ll have that debate in about four weeks time when a little lockdown purchase arrives at Flip Towers and I post up my half typed ‘Motorcycle Musings’ thread

But for now onto these silly Rev counters- by the look of that wiring it’s had some bits added as mine certainly doesn’t have any ring terminals fitted but instead as Jeff correctly states is fitted in line to the left hand side igniter box- as my bike is in a state of partial disassembly I can take some photos of it tomorrow evening and post them up.

Mine has been on my Monster pretty much since it was new and hasn’t suffered any vibration damage in its twenty four years so I think either I may have been lucky or Jeff unlucky with his as the 900 motor probably isn’t as smooth as the 750 but I guess it would be a case of trying it.

But again as already said, if you want it for an accurate representation of engine revolutions you’ll almost certainly not like it.

However, if like me the little red triangles put a smile on your face as they dance around to the ‘brooom baaaa’ beats while the carbon frames the Fiat-esque idiot lights in a way that only an over priced Ducati add-on of the ‘90’s can you’ll enjoy the quirky relative rareness of it.

Last edited by Flip; 02-02-2021 at 10:21 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:22 AM   #6
fireman sam

Bike: S2r
Thank you all for great advice. Pictures would be a bonus I have bought a M900 for a project but it's so nice I am leaving it totally standard. It came with a box of spares and Road racing period bits so may use some of them . And a rear carrierwhich I assume fits . Will try when snow goes.stau safe .Regards Paul.
fireman sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It's a quirky period addition to the bike that looks cool in a typical Italian form over function way.

Those rubber speedo mounts have failed twice on my S4 too, I fitted them new and the rubber part has just come away cleanly from the metal part!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
I've just come across the broken rubber mounts on my clocks too. Ordered a pair from Moto Rapido for a fiver a piece. The rubber has sheared and the bottom section is completely detatched too. I think they're different on the twin clock Monsters (mine's a 620ie) than the earlier ones though, the part no. for the twin clock version is 70010381c if anyone needs them.

velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea, they're different to the early Monsters but it would seem they still fail the same. It's worth checking them as I had found the broken one had allowed the clocks to move about enough that the connector block had backed itself out enough to cause random electrical issues and yellow flashing error codes on the dash, which I spent a long time trying to find.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Yea, they're different to the early Monsters but it would seem they still fail the same. It's worth checking them as I had found the broken one had allowed the clocks to move about enough that the connector block had backed itself out enough to cause random electrical issues and yellow flashing error codes on the dash, which I spent a long time trying to find.
Ah, ok - didn't know if they were a different set-up - of course they would be! Seems as though they replaced a known failure point with another known failure point.

Just ordered a set of 4 - might as well as replace the lot (there's two behind the headlamp shell).
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #11
Flip

Apologies for not getting these up sooner but as promised here’s the photos of the Tacho wiring on my 900.

There are two three way connector, one male and one lady (female) type with an in-line fuse which yours does appear to have.

Basically it is a ‘plug and play’ item which plugs inline with the left hand igniter box as shown.

Hope that helps but if not I can take more photos or try to answer any further questions you may have.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
And just to clarify ... the failed speedo mounts that I was referring to are the two "studs" which emerge from the bottom of the round speedo casing itself. The parts which failed are in effect an internal component of the speedo. These are not available as spare parts .. its a case of a diy repair or a new speedo.
The ones that others have referred to appear to be separate rubber mountings for the frame to which the instrument module is bolted. I think my yr2000 bike doesn't have those.

And while I'm at it, the bouncing which caused the failure was due to shock loads transmitted from bumps in the road etc, not from engine vibrations.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote