UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New member from Bath area

Old 25-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Pep

New member from Bath area

Hi All

Picked up my new 796 anniversary monster 2 weeks ago. So i thought i had better introduce myself.
I live just outside of Bath in Midsomer Norton. I part exchanged a Speed triple for my new bike, a some what different beast.
I owned a m600 and a m900 back in the 90's with no problems.

Took it for the 600mile service today and was shocked at the cost, i thought i would be paying for the oil and filter plus labour £200!!! just after paying £8750 for the bike.

Is this the norm for the 600 service?. I did check with the service guy and was advised that it was an all over check not just an oil change.
Weather permitting i will visit Calne this Saturday, so may see you there.
Cheers
Martin.
Old 25-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
wendy lea

hello Martin
Old 25-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Hi and welcome.
Come along to Calne on Saturday and meet a few more of us
Old 25-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Fatal

Hi Martin, £200 for oil and filters would have Sent my wallet running for cover, Being a wee bit tight, I plan on doing most service jobs myself

Alan H
Old 25-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
DaffyDuc

Bike: M800ie
Welcome.
For servicing you're almost on the doorstep of Rich at Louigi Moto over in Clutton. One of the best and probably far more reasonable.
DaffyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
S4Rs MacK

Hi Martin, welcome to the UKMOC.
Ditto on Daffy's comment, best place locally for servicing and stuff is Louigi Moto. Rich is a blinding bloke and always happy to offer advice. Tops service and standard of work.
He looks after my Tricolore and many others locally too besides.
Looking forward to meeting you on Sat at Calne.

Deano
Old 26-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Dirty

Hi and welcome

Does seem a bit steep. How many hours did they charge you for?
Old 26-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hi Martin,
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can all put a face to the name on Sarurday at Calne. As to the £200 charge, I think that is disgraceful myself and would have asked for a complete breakdown of an invoice and then questioned it with Ducati UK.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuc View Post
Welcome.
For servicing you're almost on the doorstep of Rich at Louigi Moto over in Clutton. One of the best and probably far more reasonable.
Except your warranty goes out the window.

Be good to meet you Saturday if you can make it, middle of town by the traffic lights.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Hi, and welcome to the club.

200 quid is what I paid for my 1000km service, but that also included supply and fitting of a smaller front sprocket.

IIRC, Ducati have a standard chart for the number of hours charged for each service against a range of models, and this should be clearly displayed and shouldn't vary between dealers.

However, labour rates will vary, so worth shopping around. My guys charge 60 quid an hour, but I have heard of places charging as much as 90 quid.

At least you won't be needing another service for a while!
Old 26-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
tricky73

Hello And Welcome
Old 26-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford View Post
Except your warranty goes out the window.
Not sure if it extends to bikes but the 2003 EU block exemption means you can get your car serviced elsewhere and not invalidate the warranty as long as the service matches the manufacturers recommendations and the parts used are good quality.
Old 26-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Not sure if it extends to bikes but the 2003 EU block exemption means you can get your car serviced elsewhere and not invalidate the warranty as long as the service matches the manufacturers recommendations and the parts used are good quality.
Had my S2R serviced at Luigi's, without going to court you'll struggle to get either Riders or Moto Rapido do anything warranty for you. Considering MR have sent bikes to Luigi to fix when they couldn't you'd think they would be happy with his work.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
bex

As a slight aside I had my brake discs replaced (for the second time) with MR under warranty, but maybe I got lucky!
Old 26-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford View Post
Had my S2R serviced at Luigi's, without going to court you'll struggle to get either Riders or Moto Rapido do anything warranty for you. Considering MR have sent bikes to Luigi to fix when they couldn't you'd think they would be happy with his work.
Make sure (if getting service interval work done outside a dealer) the work is documented down to the very last detail. It's true that dealers will try to get out of warranty work if they can (they don't get properly paid for it) but sometimes turning up well prepared with everything you legally need will do the trick. I know some indy car service centres have helped customers with this as they've seen it before and know what to do/say.