UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Black plastic(abs) rocker cover

Old 13-01-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Black plastic(abs) rocker cover

I'm looking for a black abs/plastic rocker cover, with the boss to hold a temp sensor, as fitted to the earlier hypermotard 1100s, part number 24020311AB. Bitza
Old 13-01-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Can't help in locating the part I'm afraid, Bitza, but just be aware that, while the three other valve covers are plastic, the one you want with the sensor boss is actually aluminium.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 04:18 AM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
One on ebay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234250204...gAAOSwv65hcrqZ

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
Bitza
Bronze Member

Ahh.......well first off the one on fleabay with the cooler mounts isn't actually what I'm after, I was under the impression that hypermotards used ones with just the sensor boss.
So Luddite if you're still there, do you happen to know if the one I want is Ali? For something so simple this couldn't have gone much more wrong. Bitza
Old 14-01-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

That was the part number you posted (24020311AB). Hypermotards probably have the oil cooler mounted on top but maybe could be reversed if you want the oil cooler in the lower position?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
If the part does not exist in ABS, sensor hole, bracket-less form, then it might be possible to 3D print one in ABS or suitable plastic?

I know that Rob produced a 3D CAD model for a finned 2V cover some time ago, maybe it's possible to edit that with a sensor hole or a boss which could be machined?
The early valve covers could be different in many ways to the DS ones though?

Edit.. Found it.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 14-01-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
dacs

Bitza, I've got this lying in the shed doing nothing, if it is any use to you it's yours. Came off a Multistrada 1000DS motor, so "should" fit an M1000 twin spark, except it doesn't have the oil cooler mount (also it's alloy, not plastic). Part number stamped on it is 240.3.027.1B

Old 14-01-2022, 09:25 AM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Oops! Didn't realise it was that different!

I'm assuming that the change to plastic is for lightness??
Old 14-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #9
slob

Apologies if my guess was wrong...

Looking at parts books none of the 696/796/1100 monster have the sensor on the front inlet cover, nor does the Hyper evo/SP, the Hyper1100/s is clearly Aluminium from that eBay link, and has the cooler lugs. I don't know what odd Magnesium (listed as DP for Hyper) set I picked up a decade ago.

I guess the easy answer would be to file the lugs off an Aluminium one and live with the extra few grams. I may have an old Aluminium one somewhere if you want to give it a go.

The older ones (620/695/750/800/900) are a completely different shape and fit. I also worry about 3D printed parts strength in critical locations, as FDM printed stuff has a 'weak direction', depending on the orientation of the filament. Whilst that cover has almost no strain on it (once the cooler is removed), a failure could have catastrophic results.

Edit: too slow, dacs may have the answer!

Last edited by slob; 14-01-2022 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: too slow
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Ahh.......well first off the one on fleabay with the cooler mounts isn't actually what I'm after, I was under the impression that hypermotards used ones with just the sensor boss.
So Luddite if you're still there, do you happen to know if the one I want is Ali? For something so simple this couldn't have gone much more wrong. Bitza
The only suitable cover I'm aware of with just the sensor is from the first generation Multistrada, which is what dacs is offering you. It is aluminium and I don't think there is a plastic one with sensor on any other two-valve motor.
Old 14-01-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'm assuming that the change to plastic is for lightness??
...and cost too, no doubt.
Old 14-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
...and cost too, no doubt.
That was Ducati's primary motive, no doubt! I think Bitza is looking to shed a few more grams though?

I'm sure there is a suitable material that would 3D print the cover(s). There seems to be a huge variety of materials used, even foodstuffs.
I fondly recall being told by the head of BAE's service hangar at RAF Coningsby, whilst gazing up at the fore-planes on a brand new Typhoon, that they are 3D printed in honeycomb Magnesium..
Old 14-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #13
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I fondly recall being told by the head of BAE's service hangar at RAF Coningsby, whilst gazing up at the fore-planes on a brand new Typhoon, that they are 3D printed in honeycomb Magnesium..
Indeed and 'how do they do it' on Quest (TV channel) did a how to on these very parts, however I think the cost of one fore-plane significantly exceeds Ducati's budget for an entire bike...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #14
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well thanks to one and all for you inputs, and for the offers of the odd cover but it was specifically a plastic version that I was trying to find, as I already have 2 plain plastic covers for the vertical head. Yes I have to admit to my current weight loss obsession. There was a Bonzo Dog Do Dah band song with a line "to loose some more weight off came my left leg" followed by the chorus line "watch out there's a Monster coming", must be relevant somehow?!
The 3d printing idea is something to think about for the future I'm thinking. Bitza