UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » K Tech Front Fork Upgrade Question

Old 26-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Omar

Bike: M1100evo
K Tech Front Fork Upgrade Question

I am looking improve the front forks on my 1100 Evo. Has anyone had the K Tech mods carried out on their bike and can give me some idea as to the improvement? Neil at Cornerspeed sent me the information below.

"The fork upgrade from K-Tech is in 2 parts. Firstly the SSK piston kit is available to improve the damping performance on both compression and rebound. The second (optional) kit is the FCV valve kit. This is designed to work with the SSK kit and further improves the compression circuit control."

Thanks in advance.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think Luddite has had this done, as he seems to have most mods maxed out, however I might be mistaken. Considering the cost involved in doing such, it may be worth converting to SBK spec or 1100S Ohlins forks and be done with it. I am considering similar mods to my S4.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Omar

Darren, what is SBK? Would the Ohlins be a straight swop? I understand that not all Ohlins stuff is of the best quality? A friend recently swopped his Ohlins rear unit for a Maxton as it went off badly when used hard (and got hot). The Maxton was a big improvement.

The total cost of the K Tech mod is about £500.
Old 26-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
SBK=Superbike, 996, 999, 1098 etc whichever would be easiest to fit . The Ohlins should be a fairly easy swap as they were standard on the 1100S which chassis wise is very similar to the Evo, you may need yokes and brake mods to suit etc. Agree that the Ohlins isn't always the best quality, the forks do have a tendency to leak from what I have read and the shocks are generally too soft, but they offer much better than standard. Nitron/Maxton may be the way to go.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I have Ktech valving in both my Monster and 916 and it was a big improvement for both, that said I also had the springs changed for something more suited to my weight at the same time so that must contribute something to the improvement.

Although neither of my bikes have the original forks; the Monster has 916 forks and the 916 has 1198S, Ohlins forks, however the before/after is still valid.

I highly recommend Ktech for all things suspension.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Luddite

Did you read those threads I put links to in your "welcome" thread, Omar? Chris.p's gives you the information you want.

As Darren said, I've had this done too and would definitely say it's money well spent. It'll still be cheaper than fitting a second-hand set of Öhlins, which you'd probably still have to have serviced and possibly resprung/revalved. Note that the Öhlins forks from the 1100S, (if you managed to find a set), are not a straight swap as the brakes have a different offset, (15mm against the Evo's 10mm), so you'd need to change the discs too, (or fit a spacer ring).

If it helps, this is the reply I got from K-tech when I enquired. (N.B. The prices shown are from 2016 so will no doubt have changed by now.

"For your forks I would recommend one of our SSK piston kits this is what was fiited to Chris’ bike, these comprise of complete new compression and rebound piston assemblies with our own design CNC machined pistons which have revised damping settings to give better control and feel from the original forks, these are also supplied with new rebound flow control valves and needles to give a much finer range of adjustment to the rebound damping circuit. The SSK piston kits are designed for road and track day use to enhance the performance of the standard fork and give a greater front end feel and confidence to the rider. The cost of the piston kit to fit your make and model of bike is £191.66 + VAT.
To compliment the piston kit we also manufacture replacement compression Flow Control Valves, these replace the standard items fitted in the bottom of the fork legs and give a much finer range of compression adjustment. The price of these optional Flow Control Valves is £62.50 + VAT.
We also offer optional rate fork springs to suit rider weight and the discipline the bike is being used for, the price of these is £70.84 per pair + VAT.

The piston kits are only available through recognised dealers as there are special tools required to fit them correctly and guarantee performance. We offer this fitting service in our own workshops which we charge at £100.00 + VAT. This price includes a complete strip and rebuild of the forks including new oil and labour but does not include any service parts such as seals or bushes. These would be inspected when the work is being carried out and replaced if needed and charged for accordingly. Alternatively you can go onto our website and choose a dealer near you to carry out the work. The shock spring is fine for your weight so no need to change that, we can have them picked up from any address that is best for you.
"

This thread might also be of interest:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=556256

Last edited by Luddite; 26-11-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
Omar

Had a quick look on Ebay and the cheapest new Ohlins forks are around £1400. So a none starter for me.

A Maxton fork upgrade would be fitment of cartridges at £675 + VAT per pair + installation cost(£155 +VAT).

A cheaper version is on offer. To quote: "These cartridges have rebound damping and compression damping adjustment, but no external preload adjustment. The preload can still be changed by undoing the fork tops, sliding the chrome tubes down and winding a knurled wheel up and down a thread.. This cartridge cost £520.00 + V.A.T per pair plus installation."

Last edited by Omar; 26-11-2020 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 26-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
Omar

While typing my comment, I missed your comment Luddite. I did notice your upgrade of forks in your post but missed Chris's. That is what set me off on the K tech path. I have had an invitation to go over and see Chris's mods, so will do so when we can get together. Meanwhile I will have another look at the over-looked link!
Thanks once again again...
Old 26-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
While typing my comment, I missed your comment Luddite. I did notice your upgrade of forks in your post but missed Chris's. That is what set me off on the K tech path. I have had an invitation to go over and see Chris's mods, so will do so when we can get together. Meanwhile I will have another look at the over-looked link!
Thanks once again again...

You are more than welcome to pop over and have a look Omar.

I contacted Maxton when i was looking at having my forks done originally, they quoted me way over the price you have mentioned, are you sure that the price is per pair and not each????
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #10
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Link to K-Tech fork mod http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=51391
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #11
Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
You are more than welcome to pop over and have a look Omar.

I contacted Maxton when i was looking at having my forks done originally, they quoted me way over the price you have mentioned, are you sure that the price is per pair and not each????
Thanks Chris, I may well pop over for a look when the gritters have stopped running!

The price is for a pair, for both versions. I have amended the details to show.
Old 26-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
Omar

I think the full email from Richard Adams will add clarity:

"I have checked our records and we have made an NR4 shock and a piggyback remote RT10 rear shock for the 1100 Evo Monster. We do not make a GP10 rear shock for the Monster Evo 1100. The piggyback RT10 rear shock costs £630.00 + VAT.

For the forks we recommend our SD25 cartridges. These are a new cartridge that we have been developing over the last 18 months.

The SD25 cartridges are basically a smaller version of the GP30 fork cartridges. We have been developing the GP30 fork cartridges over the last 9 years and realised that a smaller, more affordable version is needed. The fork tops that the SD25 cartridges come with look very similar to the GP30 fork tops. The principal of the SD25 cartridges is the same as the GP30, they have separate damping in each leg. The right leg has rebound damping, the left leg has compression damping. Both legs have springs fitted. This means all of the adjusters are at the top of the fork. There are two options for the SD25 cartridges :

1. Is a fully adjustable pair of cartridges with rebound damping, compression damping and preload adjustment. This cartridge cost £675.00 + V.A.T per pair plus installation.

2. The second option has less adjustment, to keep the cost down. These cartridges have rebound damping and compression damping adjustment, but no external preload adjustment. The preload can still be changed by undoing the fork tops, sliding the chrome tubes down and winding a knurled wheel up and down a thread.. This cartridge cost £520.00 + V.A.T per pair plus installation.

Both options of SD25 cartridge are built to order, so we valve the cartridges to suit what you are using the bike for. The SD25 cartridges also come with springs chosen for your rider weight and also what you are using the bike for.

To remove the original fork internals and install the SD25 cartridges in to your forks with new fork seals costs £155.00 + V.A.T per pair."