UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Well it's official I'm in!

Old 27-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
JuZ

I believe it's a 620.
Old 27-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Nwsparky

It is a 620ie, not sure what the e stands for?
Whilst trying to get used to full lock figure of eights I snatched the front break and dropped it on the playground! better there than on the road! No harm done just a scuffed lever easily sorted. Showed me I need more manoeuvre practice, going fast on a dual carriageway is easy, weaving in and out of tight spots is another matter! I was only in work clothes so took it very easy on the roads home. Proper clothes and more practice required for next outing!
Oh and number 46 now gone, didn't really do it for me either...
Old 27-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Damn, my limited lock warning came just too late then.
Still, no particular harm done, I suppose.
You're probably better off mostly just using the rear brake at slow speeds. If your twin discs are anything like mine they're both quite powerful and can also be a bit snatchy at very slow speeds (as if a disc is warped...except it isn't).
Mind you, the rear brake doesn't do a lot, but its quite good as a steadier.

A black permanent marker is handy for touching up a scuffed lever end, if you're feeling fussy.
And e is for electronic.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Nwsparky

Haha yes snatchy they are! Stop on a 6p! Not been on a biggish bike for 12 years so to be expected hence the playground. Scuffs already touched in with flat black model paint from my Westfield days, lever was a bit curved but a block of wood, rag and pipe sorted that.
Probably a good leveller for me tbh not a toy and not to be disrespected. Never driven s twin before either, love the kick up the ass grunt! Don't think I went over 6k lol...
Old 27-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
pte1643

Nice choice.

You're a bit young for it though, eh?

Oh, that's not you... Sorry.
Old 28-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Martin696

Quote:
Originally Posted by pte1643 View Post
Nice choice.

You're a bit young for it though, eh?

Oh, that's not you... Sorry.
I thought that too - gonna struggle changing gears
Old 28-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Very well done indeed.
Old 28-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Nwsparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bob View Post
Very well done indeed.
All down to you bob, gave me a kick up the ass and it popped up soon after, the good ones go so fast I had to buy on pictures and instinct. Very, very pleased. Courier wanted to take it home!
Are there any things I should keep my eye on? Fluid levels, temperatures etc?
It has a choke which I thought an injection wouldn't need?
Gona have some tuition this week help me get the most out of it before the end of summer....
Old 28-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
pte1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwsparky View Post
It has a choke which I thought an injection wouldn't need?
Fast idle.
Old 28-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My injection 900 has a lever (swively twistgrip kind of knob on the left bar.) which has a choke symbol on it.
In fact this is just a fast idle control, not a choke at all.
Presumably this is just to help the motor run a little more smoothly during the warm up period.
What that tells me is that Ducatis electronic control unit is a little primative (Nice and simple) and does not have the function of an automatic idle control from cold.
My last bike was a Triumph from 2002 and had no choke or fast idle controls, you just thumbed the button with a closed throttle and the ECU did the rest. It started with a fast tickover (about 1800rpm) and soon settled down to about 900rpm once warm.

Your hand book should explain how to use it.

Hoping to get mine fired up today....maybe I will find out how to use the fast idle.??

Still looking good in yellow though Sparks..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
pte1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
What that tells me is that Ducatis electronic control unit is a little primative (Nice and simple) and does not have the function of an automatic idle control from cold.
The 796 and, I believe, the 1100 don't have a "manual" lever. Probably some other models too. Seems like it's just the Older/Smaller ones.
Old 28-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
As Morpheus would have put it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwsparky View Post
All down to you bob, gave me a kick up the ass and it popped up soon after, the good ones go so fast I had to buy on pictures and instinct.....
I only showed you the door.
You're the one that had to walk through it.

Old 28-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Nwsparky

Well after a morning of showers/sun/showers I risked another little ride out, if it really never has seen rain it certainly did today! Oh well it happens, we soon dried off and no dramas today. I do find the throttle uptake a little jumpy? Slight delay then a touch too much on pulling off, probably just poor clutch control but I find it very easy to give it a tiny but to much and end up heading onto the wrong side when pulling away at tight junctions? I guess practice makes perfect....
Old 30-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Nwsparky

Well finally hit the road tonight, not far but real roads, roundabouts, lights, fast a roads etc.
Didn't want to get off! Not a super quick bike as was discussed when I was looking. It pulls very well and overtakes with ease but I wouldn't fancy long haul motorway work.
Feedback is great, brakes really good. Throttle control needs practice, shutting of to abruptly has the engine slowing quickly. Too much to soon it will lurch a bit, that's just me. Main thing was I started to relax and enjoy things. Slow manoeuvres need practice but I really started to enjoy biking again after my 13 year layoff....
Booking some coaching tomorrow....
Who needs mega speed when they sil motos sound like they do..
Old 30-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Dirty

Excellent, sounds like you did the right thing.

Has the home situation regarding bikeing again settled down as well?