UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Mild Restoration - M900sie

Old 11-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
deanyoungblood

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Mild Restoration - M900sie

Hi All,

I’ve been a Monster owner since May 2022 and have had some good advice and help from members here already.

The bike is in pretty good condition, however there are a few areas I’d like to restore as I like my bikes in good condition.

The frame has some rust spots and the engine casings are tired and need reconditioning.

This brings me to my point; my garage has no electricity and no lighting as it is part of a collection of garages at the end of my street.

I’d like to undertake this work myself by stripping the engine out and getting the frame powdercoated, however with my current situation this isn’t possible.

Are there any companies that would undertake such mild restoration for a reasonable cost?

I’m mindful that I won’t get this money back in bike value, at least not for the next 5-10 years.

This is the only option or I’d have to sell as I don’t want the condition worsening due to sitting in a damp garage over future winters.

The bike is in generally really good condition, it’s just the frame and engine that bothers me.

Any help welcome!
deanyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:00 AM   #2
deanyoungblood

Last edited by deanyoungblood; 11-01-2023 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Added photo
Old 11-01-2023, 11:46 AM   #3
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
A bit of a way from you but might be worth a try:

http://www.carlharrisonmotorcycles.co.uk/index.html

They're in Norfolk and I took my 900 Dark there several years ago and Carl did a fine job

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:32 PM   #4
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
A bit of a way from you but might be worth a try:

http://www.carlharrisonmotorcycles.co.uk/index.html

They're in Norfolk and I took my 900 Dark there several years ago and Carl did a fine job

Kimbo
I second Carl, as suggested by Kimbo.
He's the go to independent Ducati workshop in East Anglia.

Not sure if Neil at Cornerspeed is any closer. Never used their services, but always hear positive report's about his work.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My experience of rebuilds is that as soon as you farm something out, you lose control and sometimes lose some bits and always lose a fair bit of money.
It's a big thing to entrust an entire bike to someone else and it's going to be a big bill at the end for sure.

I like to do as much as possible myself and only farm out stuff like blasting and powder coating to people I trust and know well. I guess I'm fortunate in having mates in some handy trades.

If I were in your shoes I think I would be thinking in terms of powering up the garage and turning it into a workshop.
First thing would be a portable generator which you could drop outside the door and start up when you want to work in there. they run so quietly these days that I don't think anyone would know you had it?
It would be a fair investment for sure but you'd probably sell it for what you bought it for when you're done with it.
Come to that if it's just light you need, there are loads of brilliant rechargeable lights that would last at least an evening at a time.

What you're planning doesn't need a huge amount of tools and those mostly last a lifetime, so no ill store.

I built my first bike up when I was 16-17 on the 4' x 6' "veranda" of a garden shed, with some black polythene draped over the roof and weighed down round the edges. A lead-lamp gave me light and I could feel the snow and hail on by back through the polythene at times as there wasn't really enough room for me and the bike. I had to work on one side at a time with the bike pushed to one side or other.
I got a proper shed eventually and built the bike all over again the next winter under proper lights and with a bench.. Luxury..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 11-01-2023 at 09:55 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:07 AM   #6
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Personally I would rather do the work myself than have some one else do it but I understand your predicament. As suggested above you can kit out your existing garage reasonably easily and for not too much money but another idea maybe to look around for someone in your local area who would allow you to work on your bike in there garage for a few months.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:26 AM   #7
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Well deanyoungblood, you have my sympathy not having access to something like a reasonable workspace, for me would be spirit breaking. I hear MrG's helpful suggestions, and many of us have done our first rebuilds in "basic!?" conditions when we were young, but I'm not so sure how keen they would be later in life. I guess that it is going to cost you one way or another, just hope you've got some funds to spare, all the best with the project and remember to post some pics when it's done.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 AM   #8
deanyoungblood

Thanks for all of your replies.

I have plenty of tools and enjoy getting my hands dirty, I just lack workbenches etc and there’s not a lot of space in these small grouped garages.

I already have three bikes in there which makes juggling them about to use and strip a challenge.

I think the idea of using someone else’s garage is a good one, something I’ll ask and see what is about. It’s literally just the ability to strip it and put it back together again
Old 12-01-2023, 09:46 AM   #9
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Can you do it in the house? I've done that a couple of times when I didn't have a garage with power. The dining room has heating, power and coffee on hand.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #10
Bitza
Bronze Member

MJGT suggestion sounds like a plan, with 1 obvious proviso.
I was threatened with eviction from halls of residence when the cleaner found a disassembled triumph in my wardrobe. Some people can be so proper.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:25 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It's certainly comfy and easy to do it in the house.
I've had bikes in all the rooms of my home except for two, one being the bathroom, although we did get a Tiger 90 stuck down the loo in someone else's house.
The trick is to build big lumps if you're doing it upstairs and then assemble downstairs.
Not like the folks who built a combo upstairs!!

It works up to the point where you want to paint or do any grp work, then the stink is unbearable!
Old 12-01-2023, 10:04 PM   #12
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well building a combo indoors might sound extreme but my dad and his bachelor chums tried to build a glider in a flat?! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a success. While on the subject of odd glider builds, I also met Bill Goldfinch as a child who had been held in Colditz Castle where inmates built an escape glider. All a bit off the thread messages so appoligies for that.
Old 13-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #13
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Well building a combo indoors might sound extreme but my dad and his bachelor chums tried to build a glider in a flat?! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a success. While on the subject of odd glider builds, I also met Bill Goldfinch as a child who had been held in Colditz Castle where inmates built an escape glider. All a bit off the thread messages so appoligies for that.
Was going to mention Colditz when I read your opening statement!

Built many a bike indoors - the joy of cheap rented houses!

Over the past few years I've had a concrete garage installed and have slowly been kitting it out with sterling board lining for internal walls, power, led lights and wifi. Next plan to divide in two add more insulation in the workshop section and a diesel heater
Old 13-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #14
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
I remember many years ago moving my Moto Guzzi Le Mans into my front room for the winter,got some strange looks from the neighbours when I was trying to push it through the front door!! I was changing a lot of fasteners to stainless and it was ideal to have the bike behind the sofa!

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Lean to sheds that bolt onto the house are not too expensive to buy or build and then you get all your problems resolved...

Personally I wouldn't powder coat the frame, it often ends up in threads, and is too thick so that when the bike is reassembled it breaks off under pressure of bolted on components. A few coats of smooth finish Black Hammerite brushed on to gain thickness of cover -with sanding between coats-, then rattle can the final finish. Will cost half, its not difficult, and the result will be better.