UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M900 choke operation

Old 16-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
the lodger

Bike: M900
M900 choke operation

My M900 has a choke lever in the middle of the steering stem . You pull it up to use it except it has got to the stage where it is very difficult to pull up and then to shut off once the bike starts. I know I need to address it and any thoughts on that are welcome. However my question today is what does that choke actually do ? Can I achieve the same just by holding the throttle open slightly when starting the bike ? Thanks
Nigel
Old 16-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Nothing more sinister than a dry Bowden cable.

You need to detach the top end and run some thin oil down the inner, preferably until it drips from the lower end. 3in1 would be ideal if it's still available.. Anything like that.

If that doesn't free the action up, then maybe the inner has worn into the outer or gone rusty inside. In which case you need a new cable.
Old 16-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Nice try, but CV carbs don't really work that way. There is a dedicated circuit for cold starting, you might be able to start without it but it would be a bit of gamble and you would need some way to lock the throttle at that exact point. You can probably buy an adjustable jet for the cold starting circuit but the choke should do exactly the same thing in any case.

Do what Gazza says and oil it.

Well that's my take on things. It's probably better to keep to the stock setup and get that working properly in this case.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
My M900 has a choke lever in the middle of the steering stem . You pull it up to use it except it has got to the stage where it is very difficult to pull up and then to shut off once the bike starts. I know I need to address it and any thoughts on that are welcome. However my question today is what does that choke actually do ? Can I achieve the same just by holding the throttle open slightly when starting the bike ? Thanks
Nigel
I hope you realise the choke cable is designed to be locked (when pulled up) by twisting it sideways a fair bit? If you’re trying to pull and push it whilst locked it would be very stiff indeed! This is also how many old car chokes used to work.