UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Monster newbie

Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
livewire

Monster newbie

Hi all,

Just made the decision to change the layout of my Italian V twin and get a new 696+, even though I'm told it will be September at the earliest !! Couple of questions I forgot to ask the dealer, perhaps someone can help.

I have only ever seen the 696+ with the seat cover on, with it removed is there a grab rail for the pillion ?

Has anyone got experience of carrying a pillion, I noticed comments in other threads about the heat from the silencers being noticable even for solo riders and was wondering if it is a problem for the pillion ?

Cheers
Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
forresterone

hi livewire, there are no grab rails or strap for the pillion, just a one piece seat
cheers jeff
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
walpole68

There are grab handles built into the subframe just under the seat.very neat !
Old 10-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
forresterone

me ....needs to go and take a closer look
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
There are grab handles built into the subframe just under the seat.very neat !
and are perfect if you have arms the length of a monkeys!
Carrying a pillion on any of the monsters is a 'close' feeling
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
PeterPoddy

Blimey, I've just had to go and have a look at mine... I never saw any grab rails before!
But yes there are 2 sort of 'finger slots' I guess you'd call them. I guess they would be of some use, but the 696 is never going to be a brilliant pillion bike, IMO. Fine for short rides but not for much else I reckon!

Anyway, hi there Livewire, I can assure you a 696 is worth waiting for being one of the lucky buggers to actually own one!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
When it comes to being a pillion ask Ped's better half Jules.
I gave her a lift home a while ago when her sprocket fell off.

She sits very close (nice) and puts her palm on the tank under braking and the other is around your waist, least I think that's how it went.
Whatever it works really well.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
livewire

Smile

Thanks for the help.
Actually had a bit of a result on the delivery front, 'phoned Three Cross to confirm my order only to be told they had a cancelled order stood in the showroom !! OK so White wouldn't have been my first choice of colour but one weeks wait is better than three months !
Roll on next Friday.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
neilbaldry

Good stuffs livewire! something to look forward to!

When I took hte missus on the back of mine, I borrowed my brothers 'love handles' (ahem.), and they worked really well. I think all I would use the grab handles under the seat for is to attach bunjee cords if carrying a tail pack or bag.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
gremlin

I would have thought the hugging solution would be far better, can't think of a nicer way to be pillion! Not having the limbs of a gibbon I've found grab rails on most bikes are too far back or too low and darned uncomfortable.
Old 18-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
livewire

Smile New 696

Well the big day finally arrived, here are a few first impressions.
Firstly, a big thank you to Mark at Three cross Motorcycles for his patience and enthusiasm and the workshop staff for a spot on preperation, well done all.
What a bike !! as you can imagine stepping off of a Moto Guzzi Nevada and on to the Monster was a bit of a revelation, both Italian V twins, but that's about as far as it goes.
I am "vertically challenged" (folically challenged as well but that's not relevent here !) but am able to sit comfortably and confidently with feet on the ground and all controls falling readily to hand. According to my gloves I have medium hands but the clutch and brake levers are easily reached and controlled. The digital dash is very clear if a little spoilt by the cheesy "Monster GB" welcome when the ignition is turned on.
As soon as we were moving the lightness of the bike and controls become apparent, the gear change is very positive and I like the way the selector stops solidly at each end of the movement. Neutral is easy to find when required and I didn't find any false ones ! The brakes are impressive, at first I found the rear brake lever a tad small and not falling easily to foot, but the front stoppers are so impressive I dont think the rear will get much use.
On the move you might as well be on rails as nothing upsets the bike from your chosen line through the twisty bits, it is almost thought controlled its that good. With the grunty little motor and superb close ratio gears, it is easy to make impressive progress (even first time out and sticking to the 6K limit !).
I have not stopped grinning yet, my wife thinks I have become the village idiot, all I can say is that I have had all the usual bikes on my journey so far, but if all Ducatis are this good i wish I had tried one a lot sooner.
Got to go now my baby needs cleaning.
Old 23-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Arbeia

I thought the 696 is a L twin,not a V twin?
Old 24-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
neilbaldry

It is, but thats splitting hairs!

Its an 'L-shaped V-twin'

Last edited by neilbaldry; 24-07-2008 at 12:11 AM..
Old 24-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Lucati

L for Love! And I do love mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaldry View Post
It is, but thats splitting hairs!

Its an 'L-shaped V-twin'
Old 25-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
No false neutrals???

Check the badge man! They've slipped you a jap bike!
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote