UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Oil cooler stone guard

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Oil cooler stone guard

A quite long winded project has just come to conclusion.
It started by worrying about the state of my 21 year old oil cooler and it's vulnerability to damage. I've carefully cleaned it up and painted it once, but it doesn't really stay nice very long in the blast of road muck from the front wheel. The tiny delicate fins on the matrix are quite bent over the years from many tiny impacts and I can't make it look nice anymore. Most I have seen are in no better shape and there is the constant fear of a puncture going un-noticed on a long run and losing oil pressure and/or all the oil, never mind just the replacement cost of the cooler assuming the damage was noticed in time and confined to the cooler.
So to both add a bit of bling and protect the aging cooler I came up with an idea to make a stainless mesh screen of some sort. One thing led to another and in my search for stainless mesh I discovered a company that provides bespoke industrial screens or filters in stainless with any gauge mesh. The first quote was for £68 each for two, which I thought was a bit much, but the more I was to order the better the price per unit gets.. You're ahead of me aren't you? Yes I went and ordered too many!!
So the upshot is that these will be for sale to members soon once I've found out how much they are to post... You can put your own design on.