UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » M900 Shock Refurb

Old 10-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
Christy

Bike: M900
M900 Shock Refurb

I am thinking of getting my 93 900 shock refurbed mainly as the spring is getting scabby and the bump stop has disintegrated. I should imagine after 27 years the fluids will be getting tired.

I want to keep the bike looking as standard as possible. I have been looking at Brooks Suspension in Bingley or MCT

Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 10-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
I am thinking of getting my 93 900 shock refurbed mainly as the spring is getting scabby and the bump stop has disintegrated. I should imagine after 27 years the fluids will be getting tired.

I want to keep the bike looking as standard as possible. I have been looking at Brooks Suspension in Bingley or MCT

Any thoughts or experiences?
You have to be gentle with the anodising on the rings and the plating body, but it’s quite easy to get the spring off once the shock is on the bench.
This allows blasting and yellow powder coating of the original, or a custom rate spring.

I haven’t had the damper refurbished yet, but shall be interested to hear how you get on with that for future reference?
Old 10-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
Flip

Personally I would buy a decent replacement such as Nitron.

Then have the spring coated yellow to look like the original and when you’re not out riding and wondering why you didn’t change it years ago instead of putting up with the pogo stick standard one you can dismantle the original, clean it up to look like new and put it away in a box thus being able to return your bike to standard should you ever feel the need.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I didn't think the Showa/Sachs ones could be re-built, at least economically?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
Kato
Dismantled

There are no service kits for Sachs/Showa rear shocks, that's not to say they aren't rebuild-able they are but never really that successfully and generally at a cost approaching silly money

Flips suggestion is worth looking at also Ohlins was a factory option for that bike so originality would not be an issue DU044 without remote res most people will never even realize its not a std showa

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, thanks Kato that's what I thought. Could be re-buildable, well anything is technically but getting hold of the parts for the damper unit could be a problem. Spring yes but the adjuster collars are soft and plated so quickly get damaged if adjusted anyway.

I'd go for the Nitron or if you can get an Ohlins for decent money maybe consider that but the Nitron is probably just as good if not better and probably cheaper to rebuild in the long term. I've found the Ohlins to require frequent expensive servicing. Just get the spring re-coated in yellow for a more original look!

Old 10-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
the lodger

The previous owner of my bike had the original shock ( probably a 1994 shock like yours ) serviced by M.C.T Suspension in Stowmarket. It cost £209 in March 2014.
I cant say I'm overly impressed with it as I find it very harsh, but maybe they are all like that.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
The previous owner of my bike had the original shock ( probably a 1994 shock like yours ) serviced by M.C.T Suspension in Stowmarket. It cost £209 in March 2014.
I cant say I'm overly impressed with it as I find it very harsh, but maybe they are all like that.
A perfect example of why they don't get re-built

The parts just are not available so whenever firms do re-furb them its with parts from other shocks or made/modified by them with variable results, as the shock was supposed to be (and was) a very basic piece of kit it was never developed and was treated as a throw-away item.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Its' probably wise and a good excuse with anything of that age and mileage suspension related that if it can't be rebuilt fairly cheaply to just bin it and put something more modern on there anyway.

I do still have my original Sachs shock from my S4 but I don't expect it to be much good now anyway.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
Flip

I think those shocks were finished after about 5000 miles or so (or less through oil degradation) by which time the damping had gone into retirement and it took on its new job as a pogo stick.

Having said that I do still have my original shock along with all the other parts I’ve changed on it over the years just because I’m a bit anoraky like that.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
Nottsbiker

£600 for a remote reservoir one built to your weight and style by Maxton

Mine isn't for sale (its on the to-do list) but it might have to go back for ahem weight adjustments before it even goes in the bike

Ben
Old 11-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

I have had a standard 888 shock and 916 shock rebuilt by TW Suspension Tech and I have been really impressed. Not the cheapest but the quality of work is really good.

https://www.twsuspensiontech.co.uk/

Yorkie
Old 12-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Christy

Thanks for the feedback. I don't really have a problem with the performance of the standard shock. I must have a good one as the damping is still ok.

Niton do some nice stuff, but I don't fancy spending £600 on a new shock then have to get the spring powder coated.

Food for thought though
Old 12-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
Niton do some nice stuff, but I don't fancy spending £600 on a new shock then have to get the spring powder coated.
Nitron make all their shocks to order, I believe, so you could order just the damper unit and then fit an Öhlins spring (c. £70-£80), which would look close enough to standard Ducati to most eyes. (You'd need to check sizes first of course but most shocks share similar dimensions and an Öhlins spring fitted on my Evo's Sachs shock with no problems.)
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
Omar

Bike: M1100evo
Shock Refurb

I only have his phone number, but this chap has refurbed a couple of my shocks and does different types. Many recommended him and he proved to be reliable. Mine was returned within a week. He charged about £100 for a full service (last year). He also will fit an appropriate new spring if you wish (I think £70?). I have seen photos of his workshop and it is fully set up with all the test equipment you would expect.

Luke
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote