UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New member in Somerset

Old 30-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
gbrown

New member in Somerset

Hi,

Just ordered a new 2009 Ducati Monster 1100 in red from Riders, hope to pick it up on Thursday.

Hadn't ridden a bike since 1997 so a bit rusty, but before that had 15 mainly Jap sports bikes over a 15 year period (fireblade, ZZR1100, FJ1200, GSXR1100, etc.). Surprisingly nervous about getting back into biking.

Tried out a few Jap bikes this time but fancied something different. Found full sports bikes just too uncomfortable for my now nearly 50 year old body and thought a naked might be easier on the wrists, plus wanted to avoid fully faired missles that make high speeds just too easy. Monster seemed to fit the bill.

Had a brief panic trying to decide over the 1100 or the S but decided I preferred the silver forks and wheels (and lower price), then had another panic over whether to get the new ABS or just take the 2009 one in the showroom. In the end decided that I hadn't needed ABS in the previous 15 bikes so would probably be OK without it. Only intend to ride in dry weather if possible, and need to take it easy at first until my instincts come back to me.

Did find test riding the Monster (and most of the other bikes) tricky in town as I couldn't find an obvious gear to put it in at 30mph. Understand I might be better off to try a 14t front sprocket but not sure whether to wait until 600 mile service before talking to the dealer. Having said that, Taunton's not the biggest place in the country and I guess I will be mostly be out in the countryside. Also wonder about warranty/insurance issues.

Joined Ducatisti forum and UKMOC to chat about bikes and find advice on accessories, clothing, etc. as I've never owned a Ducati before.

I'm a self employed Computer Consultant, mainly working from home, so have too much time to spend on these forums! Just hope the missus thinks I'm working hard.

Bought a Shoei 1100 along with bike (15 year old Arai looking a bit dated) but need a full set of clothing as old Leathers looking very tired and boots and gloves falling to bits. Not sure whether to go with zip together leathers or artificial, as want water proof and protection, but I understand that artificial materials have advanced considerably since the early 90's!

I expect it will be mainly short rides on my own, as although my Wife went all over Europe on the back of previous bikes she is now very clear that she is not going on a bike ever again. Also, although my 11yr old daughter is keen for a spin I'm not wanting her to get into bikes and would rather just risk my own skin, especially during the first year back.

Looking forward to getting the bike and enjoying some of the warmer weather we are hopefully going to get now it's Summertime again.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 30-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
TCar153

Hello and welcome. Fab bike to be "returning" on. Know what you mean about fairings and achey wrist bikes. Similar age me. I would leave the 14 tooth option until you get a bit of a feel for it all again and then decide. No rush. Good luck and have fun.
Old 30-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
vtaggart

Hello and Welcome

Good luck with your new purchase, get the photos up we all like photos.

Vince
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
gbrown

Picked bike up last Thursday and had 15 miles back but it rained on me 1 mile from home! Typical. Finally stopped raining yesterday and had a chance to run up to Weston Super-Mere to start getting used to it. First thoughts are very pretty, quite loud (how loud must they be with termi's and no baffles?). Much more comfortable in Leather Jeans than in denim as there is much less sliding forward into the tank. Handle's very nicely but the suspension seems a little too hard (constant jarring even on average roads).

Had a chance to try it in town, country and motorway. Very windy on motorway but quite tolerable at usual motorway speeds, if a little boring. Much nicer on quiet country roads. Need to think about lowering gearing as it might make it easier to ride in 20 and 30 limits (have a 20 limit just down the main road from our house).

Hope engine will loosen up once run in, as it seems quite tight, especially at low speeds.

Need to try adjusting suspension and lever spans to suit, and might order a touring seat to improve comfort.

Also need some new leathers as I'm 2.5 stone less than when I last wore my leather jeans and it's only the fact that they are zipped to my jacket that stops them falling down.

Cheers,

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1703.jpg (31.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post

Need to try adjusting suspension and lever spans to suit, and might order a touring seat to improve comfort.

Also need some new leathers as I'm 2.5 stone less than when I last wore my leather jeans and it's only the fact that they are zipped to my jacket that stops them falling down.
Just eat more pies and the old leathers will soon reue their sung fit

The suspension is a bit like that, feels to be on the harsh side but tht's mainly people being used to plush wallowy jap suspension. Some matching to your ridinf style and weight will make it feel lots better.

Enjoy
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
abalmoe

Hello and welcome.....Use a bit more clutch control in towns, youll feel coming from a jap 4 that a monsters a bit snatchy...youll get used to it........monster brakes are fantastic and the midrange gets you laughing in your lid........have fun matey
Old 16-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
gbrown

Had a good long run on it yesterday and I am feeling much more comfortable on it. As you say, driving through heavy traffic in Bristol I started using the clutch to clean it up below 30mph. Should be easier once it is run in and I can relax and rev it a bit more freely.

Have to say I am very impressed with how well it handles, corners much better than my Brother's Kawa GTR 1400 (on which I tried to follow him riding my Monster) which was a bit bouncy on the corners but silly fast in a straight line. Like a turbo charged sofa.

Ta,

Geoff

Tags
1100, newbie, somerset