UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » 1200S Discs...

Old 28-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
Moley1

Bike: M1200s
1200S Discs...

So one of my front discs has a slight warp, only noticeable below 5mph i.e. when coming to a standstill. Its been like it for at least 18 months so it really doesn't affect riding. So this week it went in for an MOT and they finally noticed it (not enough for an advisory though). So while it's not an issue for the MOT I thought I'd ask how much (Ducati Aylesbury)...the service chaps initial guess was about £200 before checking...my reply was 'thats for both right?!'. Of course, the reply was each...anyway, he then checked properly and I heard a sharp intake of breath before announcing that one replacement disc from Ducati would be £350...!
I've now had a shop about and found an 'upgrade' disc 'Serie Oro' Brembo disc for £227. Whilst I've no intention of changing yet when it doesn't seem to affect the ride and passes an MOT, but was wondering if anyone could tell me if these Serie Oro discs are a genuine upgrade from the standard Brembo disc even if it is £120 cheaper per disc!
Moley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I get on well with Arashi discs, which come from China as it happens but most of the Japanese manufacturers use them and they are at least half the price of any others I have seen. No idea if they make discs for the 1200 though.

Have you actually measured the run out on the disc(s) with a dial gauge?
It's quite possible that they are not warped at all but merely "surface conditioned".

It's possible to re-condition discs with this affliction by applying long hard-ish braking.
I imagine you have read this elsewhere on here, but basically all you do is get up to a good lick on a nice empty straight road and then brake firmly, keeping an even pressure on the lever for as long as possible and then easing it off before coming to a halt.. Repeat as necessary.
Unfortunately if there is a warp the heat generated by this process is probably going to make it worse, so best to check with a dial gauge first.

I have also heard that most "warped" discs are in fact actually warped carriers, which apparently is fixable. I have no personal experience of that.
Old 28-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
There were some replaced foc by Ducati recently: -

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showt...=disc+warranty

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I had the exact same situation, Moley, on my 1100 Evo. A pair of OE discs from Moto Rapido was £480 so I went for the Serie Oro option at £285 from Simon at WSC Performance.

Serie Oro, left - OE, right

They're slightly lighter than stock and the general consensus seems to be that they're a better quality too. I've certainly had no problems since fitting them.

I think you'd need the 78B408A4 and look to pay around £165 per disc. Don't forget to budget for new pads too. Drop Simon an email for a quote.

simon@wscperformance.co.uk

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=551847
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Ducati Aylesbury are very good at issuing warped disc notifications i had 2 from they on my EVO.
Took it to a different MOT man and not a mention.
Old 28-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
Moley1

Cheers Mr Gazza! Don't have a gauge unfortunately so can't measure it, but the tester gave me a measurement in kilos (less than 10) which i assumed was the effect of the warp when spinning (probably some technical term I'm unaware of!). Will see if i can borrow one locally to check. Thanks for the advice.
Old 28-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
Moley1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I had the exact same situation, Moley, on my 1100 Evo. A pair of OE discs from Moto Rapido was £480 so I went for the Serie Oro option at £285 from Simon at WSC Performance.
Thanks for the contact Luddite, will get in touch for a price. Good to know the Serie Oro work well for you too.
Old 28-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley1 View Post
Cheers Mr Gazza! Don't have a gauge unfortunately so can't measure it, but the tester gave me a measurement in kilos (less than 10) which i assumed was the effect of the warp when spinning (probably some technical term I'm unaware of!). Will see if i can borrow one locally to check. Thanks for the advice.
He (or she?) was probably referring to how much the needle on the brake gauge varied on a steady lever pull. (assuming a rolling road type brake tester was used?)
A "glazed" patch on the disc(s) will still have same effect, so it's not proof of a warped disc, but does back up the feeling you are getting from the brake.

The dial gauge will tell you much more.
Old 29-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I had the same mild pulsing at slow speed for quite some time on my 750. ...you may have read this before on earlier threads.
I seem to remember getting consecutive mot advisories about the pulsing for two or three years.
I checked them for runout and they were damn near perfect.
The pulsing was eventually cured by basically the method that Gazza described .. though it was a bit more convoluted than that and took me a while longer than it should have.
I was first alerted to the "cure" when I did the UKMOC trackday at Mallory in 2011 during which I gave the brakes a much more serious pounding than I ever do on the road.
Lo and behold, on my ride home the pulsing was dramatically reduced.
Anyway, upshot is that I have the very same discs on the bike to this day (and believe it or not, the same pads too) and there has been no hint of pulsing for the last 20,000 miles or so.

I can definitely recommend giving your existing discs a good workout.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
mickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley1 View Post
So one of my front discs has a slight warp, only noticeable below 5mph i.e. when coming to a standstill. Its been like it for at least 18 months so it really doesn't affect riding. So this week it went in for an MOT and they finally noticed it (not enough for an advisory though). So while it's not an issue for the MOT I thought I'd ask how much (Ducati Aylesbury)...the service chaps initial guess was about £200 before checking...my reply was 'thats for both right?!'. Of course, the reply was each...anyway, he then checked properly and I heard a sharp intake of breath before announcing that one replacement disc from Ducati would be £350...!
I've now had a shop about and found an 'upgrade' disc 'Serie Oro' Brembo disc for £227. Whilst I've no intention of changing yet when it doesn't seem to affect the ride and passes an MOT, but was wondering if anyone could tell me if these Serie Oro discs are a genuine upgrade from the standard Brembo disc even if it is £120 cheaper per disc!
Had exactly the same problem with my M1200s but luckily for me I had them replaced under warranty (darren69's post). As it was very slight and only noticeable below 5mph I was going to leave them, if hey had of got worse I was also looking at Serie Oro replacements. Hope my new disks last a bit longer than 7000 miles.
Old 29-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Moley1, plus one for Serie Oro discs, and for RSC as a supplier. Can't comment on them for 1200, but put a pair on my 750ie and they were every bit as good as the ones they replaced and a tad lighter as well. I thought I would be disappointed with going from gold to black carriers, but as it is a black bike they look better as well (IMHO). With luck though as Mr Gazza says a good clean may save you the expense.
Old 29-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
Moley1

Cheers everyone, great advice as usual from this group. I think I'll try and lay my hands on a dial gauge and go from there.