UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Ducati 1000 DS custom build

Old 22-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #31
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Got to love a reverse cone mega, my first 'big' bike was a Triumph Tiger 750 that had a pair of Anglo bike short reverse cone megas, you could hear it coming miles away, remember, loud pipes save lives ;-)
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #32
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
who remembers "megatons"?, short reverse cone "silencers", chrome, with an aluminium reverse cone and a "universal" long slotted bracket on the inside
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 05:23 PM   #33
buzzer

Started the engine build… these are simple engines to build, just a couple of points to remember… There is one special bolt in the crankcase that has an oil feed hole in it. Its also much easier to pop the piston into the bore, and then put the pin in, the rings are very fragile (and expensive!) make sure you have some rag in holes though, those pin circlips have a life of their own! in one of the pictures you can see a plate which holds the flywheel… this is necessary as the alternator nut and crank nut are VERY tight and need torqueing to 190 NM.

I would like to thank the local council for the steel to make the engine stand. Leaving a large sign in the hedge at the side of the road for 2 years, I felt I had to re-cycle it ��

Old 24-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #34
dunf

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
make sure you have some rag in holes though, those pin circlips have a life of their own!
I have a pin circlip insertion tool. It's a game changer!

Mine is slightly different to this one (and a lot cheaper!) but it's the same idea....

https://www.stomskiracing.com/products/circlip-injector

Last edited by dunf; 24-02-2023 at 03:31 PM..
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #35
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunf View Post
I have a pin circlip insertion tool. It's a game changer!

Mine is slightly different to this one (and a lot cheaper!) but it's the same idea....

https://www.stomskiracing.com/products/circlip-injector
I've just watched the video, what a fantastic tool, I lost count of the number of times I fired a circlip across the garage, one time it bounced off the the lens of my glasses, sometimes (but not very often) being double glazed has its advantages
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #36
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark64 View Post
I've just watched the video, what a fantastic tool, I lost count of the number of times I fired a circlip across the garage, one time it bounced off the the lens of my glasses, sometimes (but not very often) being double glazed has its advantages
I've always liked the idea of the Teflon retaining buttons, which, I believe, are used with some Wiseco piston kits and also in the VW Bug community.

From: http://www.triplesunlimited.com/inde...&product_id=72

From: https://www.suzukiperformancespares....bore-kit/3817/

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 09:35 PM   #37
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I’ve only ever come across them on S&S pistons for old Harleys before
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #38
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Agreed, a revelation. I never fit the circlips under the cylinder, preferring to fit the piston to the rod before bringing the barrel down onto it and then use a ring compressor but, either way that does look to be a great solution.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 04:40 PM   #39
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Agreed, a revelation. I never fit the circlips under the cylinder, preferring to fit the piston to the rod before bringing the barrel down onto it and then use a ring compressor but, either way that does look to be a great solution.
Have a look at this video, which was linked to in Richard's (350TSS) build thread.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...postcount=1066

At 1:30 & 4:40 you can see how to fashion a home-made version if you've access to a lathe.

You can see Richard's own version based on this design here (and very professional-looking it is too!)

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...postcount=1070
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #40
buzzer

thanks guys, I have never seen those installers before, I may have a go at making one next time!

Waiting for a few engine parts so I switched onto the hydraulics. Not sure which front callipers to use yet, so I built both sets. Everything was in great condition so I didn’t change the seals as they were all good.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #41
buzzer

I wanted the belts and pulleys to be on show, but I am not keen on open belts… all it takes is one stone! I have made these before out of the original covers. Start by cutting holes with a hole saw, and then cut the oval out. for this I use a saw in the dremel but a saw is OK. Then I marked the profile on some 3mm polycarbonate and cut that to shape. With that in the cut out, I drilled some 3mm holes half in the cover half in the poly. the windows are held in with some 3mm flanged bolts, washers and nylock nuts. I did ad a dab of high strength nutlock and some small neoprene washers as well.

I then hydrodipped them. I know that fake carbon is not everyone’s thing but I like it, and when covered with a lacquer its VERY durable and UV stable, unlike the real stuff! The actual process is easy, and the film and activator is cheap. link to a video below of how its done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh6Hh1F0-Yg
Old 06-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #42
buzzer

Polishing day… I did the engine cases a few weeks ago. I then set a side a full day to polish the rest of the alloy… its a dirty, hard, and somewhat dangerous job! the swinging arm took ages! I used to do it in the workshop, but it made such a mess I now do it on the drive. I have a 2.5 HP 3000 RPM motor that I use that is an absolute beast and takes no prisoners if you get it wrong.

Its mentally draining to do actually, thinking about the angle you present the item to the wheel each time. I sand everything with 400 Mirka Abranet first (if you have not come across that product its a game changer, you will never use wet and dry again!) I use an 8" closed stitched mop and medium compound, followed by a loose mop with fine compound. I use some very fine compound on the stainless.

That evening I had a bath as I was so filthy. I actually used fairy liquid to clean me off as ordinary soap doesn’t touch it. Next day I absolutely ached all over!

Old 06-03-2023, 06:56 PM   #43
Jam911

Shiny though !!
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #44
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
Polishing day…

Its mentally draining to do actually,
Not as mentally draning as it is to keep it like that once the bike is in use

Can't fault the effort it took, but everyone I know who have done the same gave up trying to maintain it after a few rides

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #45
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Is clear anodize possible? I've seen some powder coating that looks like polished metal. Both options probably not DIY though and may be costly?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote