UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Web Page & Forum :. » Help and Site FAQ's » Time for a change?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Time for a change?

Hello all,

The time has come when we need to hold an election for club officials.

I've been in the driving seat since 2010 and since stepping down and putting me in the frame, Pedro has been taking care of the web stuff. I have always worked to keep the club free and while I'm aware the forum is way overdue for an update, I've always resisted moving towards other social media as I think it would spell the end of the forum and ultimately the club. I've also kept us affiliated with the DOC, since I think the relationship has been beneficial to both the club and Ducati.

I'd like to thank everyone who's pitched in to help organise local groups and meetings, events, t-shirts etc. as well as with the running of the club in general over the last seven years.
Perhaps it's time for someone with fresh views and ideas to step up and steer things for a bit.

Serial Monster owner J.P, who has been VP for a number of years, has gone to the dark side and bought a Triumph, I'm sure the L-Twin will lure him back eventually but in the meantime...

The DOC mandates we need to have President, Vice President and Secretary (no Treasurer required because we've always been a free club).The factory only cares about votes from DOC registered members but as my primary role is keeping the club/forum running I want to open this up to those members who, for whatever reason don't want to affiliate with the factory, since the club is much more than just a satellite of Bologna.

It's not all that easy to come up with a formal democratic process for a membership as informal as ours and following a poor attempt at an election a few years ago, Pedro and I have decided we should step down and allow a process to be accepted, followed by some sort of nominations and selection of club 'officers'.
I'm hoping that something resembling common sense will prevail and we can reach a consensus on how to move forward.

We have secured funding to cover web hosting for the coming year and Pedro and I will continue to run things until the dust settles and the new incumbents take over.

ps. We are still taking bookings for this year's Weekender, May 4th-7th near Bedford Details here. The more the merrier!

also Finally, Ducati Northern Europe have arranged, at typically short notice, a 25th Anniversary parade to try and break the Guinness record for most bikes of a single model in a parade. If you fancy a madcap dash to the the South of France in a couple of weeks, take a look here.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Perhaps the best place to discuss this and vote for new officials would be at the weekender.
As we all know, everyone from the forum is welcome to the weekender. Why not call a ' special ' meeting on the sunday whilst we enjoy the barbeque?
This way the voting and decisions will be a concise process.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
slob

sadly I don't think we'll get a significant percentage of the membership at the weekender, although it would be nice
Old 10-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hey! Not too much change, I hope!

Rob, Ped and JP. Thanks for all the hard work behind the curtains, keeping all this together and making it fun.

Quite a lot of one make clubs do have their AGMs at their annual rallies. The turn out to those generally tend to represent the active membership, however we are slightly different in being a forum based club, members active on the forum don't necessarily attend the Weekender.

I would be happy to arrange a conference room with Ciro, for an hour or so during the Weekender, or do it Manx Parliament style in the open air after the prize giving as Grumpy suggests.
There again a forum based debate and election might be more appropriate for us?

It begs the question; are we heading for a constitution of some sort?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
As Rob has stated there wouldn't be enough members attending this years weekender as WDW being only a few weeks later not everyone can attend both.

I'm afraid Rob and Ped will be hard acts to follow but there must be one or perhaps two that could share the task and keep our club intact...

Good luck to whoever takes on the mantle...:
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
I second Gazza. Thanks for all your hard work.
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
stopintime

Bike: S2r
If possible and with presidential willingness: delete, by default, all 'members' without activity during the last one/two years. The remaining group will feel closer and an online 'vote' will be good enough.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Those who do not own a monster should not be allowed to participate either as a candidate or voter
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
slob

from another post

You are eligible if you are a forum user who owns a Monster and live in the UK,Republic of Ireland, Channel Isles, Isle of Man etc. or an ex-pat Monster owner.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
Capo
You Are What You Is

I believe it imperative that participants in any such election be monster owners. So called partners who are pillions or do note own a monster must be excluded.

Will there be a published list of eligible voters.
Will candidates publish a prospectus.

I sincerely hope that in the interest of democracy, transparency and fairness, the procedure does not follow that used for the weekender awards.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Hey folks

What I do admin wise is something I’m happy to continue doing but it would be great if we had some dedicated people come forward to pick up from where Rob has steered us, it can be a thankless task at times but it’s a great forum.

Ped
Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
Capo
You Are What You Is

I don't think people realise just how much Rob puts in to the administration of this club.
Additional positions of responsibility would help alleviate the pressures on any single individual.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
Stuart42
Gold Member

Bike: M750
Firstly, many thanks to Rob for all he has done as the boss, especially all the stuff that goes on, in the nicest possible way, largely unnoticed, cheers Rob.

Secondly, would you be able to give us an idea of the stuff that goes on that we don't necessarily know about please Rob?

If you could do this I think it would beneficial for anyone considering the position.

Hopefully it will also give us a successor that is doing it for the right reasons.

Cheers Stuart
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Yes please let us know what is required and the Hours/week necessary and then people can make an informed judgement about whether or not they can step up to the plate
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Well I never expected that. You have done a grand job if I may say so and like some say most stuff unseen unpaid and often undervalued. Having only done the calendars once a year is pressure enough so doing stuff 52 weeks a year is immense
I wonder who would step up to the plate tbh but I feel I know some who could possibly. Big shoes to fill I think as was Terry.
Thank you though Rob and Pedro not excluding J.P too
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote