UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Pillion grab rails

Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
throstle

Pillion grab rails

My wife has suddenly decided she wants grab rails on my 2010 696. Anyone got a good source or any they want rid of? The bike has a tail tidy - Evotech I think.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by throstle View Post
My wife has suddenly decided she wants grab rails on my 2010 696. Anyone got a good source or any they want rid of? The bike has a tail tidy - Evotech I think.

Good and bad news.

Good news, Ducati do a cracking pair to fit the 696,796,1100,1100 Evo.

http://www.ducatiuk.com/accessories/...s_506/index.do

Bad news is they do not fit if using the Evotech Tail Tidy (unless they have modified it.
I have the grab rails on my M1100Evo and the good lady loves them and they do look good as well.
You would need to buy the genuine Ducati tail tidy or the R & G one, link shows rails and tail tidy fitted.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/..._696/LP0097BK/
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This thread should be of interest to you...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54687
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
throstle

Cheers guys. Going to double check the make of the tail tidy, just to make sure.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
throstle

Evotech it is. :-(
Do I buy them and hope they fit or maybe look into getting some fabricated? I really don't want to have to start changing the tail tidy or lights etc.

Last edited by throstle; 12-07-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throstle View Post
Evotech it is. :-(
Do I buy them and hope they fit or maybe look into getting some fabricated? I really don't want to have to start changing the tail tidy or lights etc.
I would buy the R&G or Ducati Tail Tidy, flog the Evotech one on ebay and then put that money towards the Ducati grab rails

Changing the tail tidy's over is a simple job, even I can do it!!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Luddite

These led indicators look exactly the same as the DP ones but at a fraction of the price:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...41&postcount=9

The DP grabrails would fit with these.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
These led indicators look exactly the same as the DP ones but at a fraction of the price:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...41&postcount=9

The DP grabrails would fit with these.
Fair point, then your Ducati grab rails will fit the Evotech Tail Tidy, but you will have to find room for the resistors etc.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
Dirty
Bockloks

Is that her way of saying you've put on a few pounds and her arms no longer reach all the way round

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Have you tried "Love Handles"?

They clip round the riders waist and have a "D" handle either side. My daughter got on well with them when she used to ride on the back of the Monster . Comfortable for me too and no farting around with the bike.

I can dig them out if you are interested.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
throstle

I already have love handles and am trying to get rid of them, but, that's a completely different conversation.
She says she prefers rails.
I really can't be arsed to change the tail tidy again. I presume I chose the Evotech over others for a reason in the first place - no clue what it was though.
I know a guy who buys a bike and then practically re fabricates every non moving part. I'm going to ask him about doing me some rails.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #12
Luddite

In the earlier thread, bigredduke wrote that he fitted the DP rails with the Evotech tail-tidy and standard indicators by retaining the indicators' rubber mounts. You could PM him for more details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Assuming the 696 has the same rear-end as the 1100 Evo (I think it has), if you fit the Evotech tail tidy & follow the fitting instructions to the letter, the top of the rear indicators foul the pillion grab rails. From memory, this is because the instructions say to remove the flexible rubber mounts from the indicators which makes them shorter & they foul the grab rails. I ended up re-fitting the rubber mounts & this way they clear the grab rails (but only just). If you pm your email address I will try to take some pictures to illustrate. I don't know if the R & G TT creates the same problem.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Correct! If you remove the rubber mounts as per Evotech instructions, the widest (deepest) part of the indicator coincides with the pillion rails. By keeping the rubber mounts in situ, the part of the indicator that sits under the grab rail is thinner & (just) clears the underside of the rail. You will also need a couple of penny washers (SS are ideal) to secure the indicators to the tail tidy.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
Tim88

Just a thought but have you checked that the subframe has the tapped holes for the grab rail mounting bolts? I have Ducati grab rails and dp tail tidy (with standard indicators) on my 2012 1100 evo. I had the same setup on my 2011 696 but I remember that when I was studying the dp catalogue 96739010A grab handles are listed as suitable to fit MY 11 onwards, and hence you may run up against this issue with your MY 10 bike. The handles by the way are brilliant for fixing luggage straps to and to hold onto when wheeling the bike around and look really good too.
Tim
T
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
Tim88

Oh, and another thing to consider. My 696 had some little spacers between the subframe and the exhaust hangers which you remove in order to fit the handles. If your bike does not have these and the hangers are fitted directly to the frame then perhaps you may also need hangers the same length as MY 2011+ if you see what I'm getting at.

Tim
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote