UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Alternative headlamps...

Old 19-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry Jerry I was going to post more details of the bulb but had to check out the insides of the old eyelids.!

It's this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-4-Side...72.m2749.l2649 You can put one in your bike and give the other to a mate.

As mentioned it is wired in the red box so that the dip is on all the time and the main is switched. That might account for the full spread of light. I wanted to try this out anyway by jiggering with the wiring on the bike, but now I don't need to.

There are loads of these H4 LEDs on ebay, nearly a matter of putting a pin in the page, as it's a bit of a minefield.

Thanks for that Mr Gazza. that's most useful. I notice they are out of stock and looking at most of the others of similar type they all have a much deeper heatsink so maybe they won't fit if it's tight with those ones? I plan on putting one of these in my standard unit if I get issues with the HID in the MOT then will most likely upgrade to the Cibie that seems a popular choice with one of your adapters when funds allow.

That's some heatsink, I take it these get very hot in use?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You're welcome Darren.
I noticed they are out of stock too, which is frustrating, hopefully they will soon be re-stocked.
There doesn't seem to be very much consistency of supply with these LED type bulbs. I can't actually find any trace of the first 2 chip bulb I bought, so maybe it has just gone obsolete or what I don't know?
I notice that that they rarely display any brand name and there doesn't seem to be a "market standard" to speak of, just a bewildering variety of sizes and types.

I don't know why they all have such large heatsinks, the 4 chip one that I linked to, has a fan in the heatsink too. I thought that LEDs were a greener alternative to "hot bulbs" and use less current, so I don't know where the heat is coming from? I'm guessing that it's generated in converting the current into something LED friendly?

The other thing you have to watch out for in the listings, is that they often give the outputs for a pair, so you have to half that for a single bulb... It's also rather rare to find them listed singly. They are starting to compare favourably to conventional bulbs pricewise and you do at least get a spare if you buy a pair... Except I seem to give my spares away!

They do often give all the measurements of the bulbs with the listing, which is handy, but we need to find a way of measuring the gap between the bulb holder and shell?? Ideas anyone?
Old 19-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Nice to see one of your adapters on Geoff's headlight, Mr G.

Quote:
I don't know why they all have such large heatsinks, the 4 chip one that I linked to, has a fan in the heatsink too. I thought that LEDs were a greener alternative to "hot bulbs" and use less current, so I don't know where the heat is coming from? I'm guessing that it's generated in converting the current into something LED friendly?

They do often give all the measurements of the bulbs with the listing, which is handy, but we need to find a way of measuring the gap between the bulb holder and shell?? Ideas anyone?
Although LED bulbs have lower resistance and are are more efficient than halogen bulbs, they still produce heat but for different reasons than traditional bulbs. An LED bulb should be cool to the touch as it doesn't produce any infra red radiation and it's the infra red that heats up traditional bulbs.

However, it's make-up means it still produces heat from the operation of the diode itself and the microprocessor that runs it. To draw parallels, I think we've all noticed how hot computers get when their processors are working hard (they have internal fans too, like some of the bulbs). And let's not forget that regulator/rectifiers are basically made up of diodes and, as Ducati owners, we're all too well aware of how much heat they can generate!

As for measuring clearance, how about adapting the old method of measuring squish? Place a ball of plasticine in the appropriate area, gently reassemble and then pull apart again and measure the resulting thickness of the plasticine.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I've been following this h/lamp and other threads since I think I will be forced down this route if I have to remove my HID setup in the standard bowl and reflector which is good but not for oncoming traffic.

Do these H4 aforementioned LED units fit direct into the existing wiring and lamp without modification?

Old 18-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Totally plug and play mate..
Old 18-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Cool, I think I will get one in that case as I might get a fail for my 'arc light' conversion. Road signs are so bright they blind you. I don't ride a lot at night but it always nice to see when I have to. I might tap you up for your Cibie conversion at some point in the future too. I am going to chance my arm for the MOT this year and see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

Old 18-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Just for you Darren, I popped into the workshop and tried the new LED H4 in the old Bosch headlamp and fitted into the shell to make sure it had enough room for the heatsink and fan. The Bosch is much deeper than the others you see... Happily it does fit but it feels like there's only just enough room in there.

To be honest if it's MOTs that you're worried about You would probably be better off fitting a Tungsten or Halogen bulb just for the test, as for all I know the LED might fall into the new category of unfavoured bulbs?

If you do intend to go for a Cibie then don't wait too long would be my advice, as they tend to be sporadically in stock. Larkspeed performance is the favourite source.

Happy to supply an adapter whenever you're ready.. Down to the last few Black ones, but plenty of Gold left.
Old 18-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
..... Down to the last few Black ones, but plenty of Gold left.
Any joy with the micro paisley?
Old 18-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
I've got a reflector from an old monster headlight that's in perfect condition that the glass was broken which I removed so it needs a new glass replacement plus bonding agent and it's free if any one wants it.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
Darkness

The glass used to be available on its own as a BMW R75, 80 or 90 part.
There was no sealant on mine when I split it to clean the inside of the glass.
Old 18-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Any joy with the micro paisley?
Ah ... that was me.
No joy yet .. it kinda went off the main burner for a while.
But Gazza has provided me with a spare conversion ring for that very purpose.
You've jogged my memory now ... I'll look into it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
bobbertandsammy

I’m leaning towards this one for my 750

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323281401585
bobbertandsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
dacs

Finally got around to fitting the LED H4 bulb that Mr Gazza gifted me (as a Solstice present) into the Cibie lamp which is held into the Bosch shell with one of Mr Gazza's adaptors. "Plug and play" in the true meaning of the words, I then nipped up the road (an unlit B road) to check it out. No measurements taken, so this is entirely subjective, but well impressed at my ability to now see where the road goes after dark. Just remains to monitor how hot it gets/long it lasts.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Do you need to fit the load resistors?

I was looking at these ones as the ones Gazza linked to are out of stock still. They look to be the same to me, but they don't show a picture of the H4 plugs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-200W-H...r=512539836458

Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

No load resistors or any such gadgets added Darren, it's as Dacs says "plug and play"

The bulbs you have found certainly seem to be the ones Dacs and I are using, The same ones are listed a little cheaper here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Car-LE...75.c100623.m-1

I was a little surprised to see 6000k colour temperature, but checking the original listing of mine, I see that it is the same. I wonder if this explains the lack of nuisance dazzle from road signs?
I'm still to try the bulb in the Autopal, which is all installed on the bike, but bike still in bits following a valve service and now awaiting it's deep clean and annual service. (even changing the internal fuel lines this year on recommendation from Carl Harrison, who supplied upgraded tube for that purpose.)
If I can get that confidence inspiring dip pattern with the Autopal and a slightly better high beam penetration, I will be a very happy bunny. (unlike the one in the beam.. )

My measurements seem to indicate that the subject LED will fit into the standard Bosch shell and reflector.

The listings show a UK supplier, which is reassuring, but the Country of origin is given away as they are listed as water-proof so you can use them in the wain.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 02-03-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote